2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem - Page 7 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #73  
Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM
padgett's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 82315
padgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Just an update: last year (2015) I started seeing even cyl misfires (1-3-5 do not count):

EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2
Test result value: 193Count
----
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 2 Test result value: 679Count.

Had been seeing occasional (10-30) before but when it got this high took to dealer and he ran the leakdown test (part of TSB 09-002-14) and then replaced the head.

TSB applies to 3.6L engine (ERB) built on or before July 25, 2012

No problems since.

ps an oil change (oil and filter) is part of the TSB so make sure are not charged for one.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #74  
Old 08-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 360
wk2driver is on a distinguished road
Great info, thanks. I was wondering how many misfires to look for.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 475
Thanks: 30
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 3075
imaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Just an update: last year (2015) I started seeing even cyl misfires (1-3-5 do not count):

EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2
Test result value: 193Count
----
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 2 Test result value: 679Count.

Had been seeing occasional (10-30) before but when it got this high took to dealer and he ran the leakdown test (part of TSB 09-002-14) and then replaced the head.

TSB applies to 3.6L engine (ERB) built on or before July 25, 2012

No problems since.

ps an oil change (oil and filter) is part of the TSB so make sure are not charged for one.


Is this a problem for the 2014+ pentistar as well?

Are you using a odb2 scanner to get those stats? Which software/app?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 360
wk2driver is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Is this a problem for the 2014+ pentistar as well?

Are you using a odb2 scanner to get those stats? Which software/app?
No, this only affected 2011 and part of the 2012 units, and supposedly only a fraction of engines were affected. Details were sketchy, but "some number" of heads would crack on one side of the engine. Supposedly it was a manufacturing issue, but in any case, they corrected it and instead of a recall they extended the warranty for the head to 10yr / 150k. Your 2014+ is unaffected.

I use the Torque phone app connected to a Bluetooth OBDII scanner I bought for about $25 on Amazon. There are many clones; this one was the one that claimed it was the "real" one with high star ratings. I think for iPhones you cannot use bluetooth scanners, but you have to use the slightly more expensive WiFi scanners, but this may have changed. I use Android.

Torque has lots of options. Besides scanning for trouble codes, there is a "Report" option that churns for a while (a couple of minutes) and pulls lots of data from the scanner. Way down the list it shows the cylinder misfires for each cylinder, including number of misfires for the most recent drive, and the total for the past 10 cycles (drives). This scanner and app are well worth the money, IMO. I don't know if the cheaper all-in-one handheld units can provide reports like this.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 475
Thanks: 30
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 3075
imaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2driver View Post
No, this only affected 2011 and part of the 2012 units, and supposedly only a fraction of engines were affected. Details were sketchy, but "some number" of heads would crack on one side of the engine. Supposedly it was a manufacturing issue, but in any case, they corrected it and instead of a recall they extended the warranty for the head to 10yr / 150k. Your 2014+ is unaffected.

I use the Torque phone app connected to a Bluetooth OBDII scanner I bought for about $25 on Amazon. There are many clones; this one was the one that claimed it was the "real" one with high star ratings. I think for iPhones you cannot use bluetooth scanners, but you have to use the slightly more expensive WiFi scanners, but this may have changed. I use Android.

Torque has lots of options. Besides scanning for trouble codes, there is a "Report" option that churns for a while (a couple of minutes) and pulls lots of data from the scanner. Way down the list it shows the cylinder misfires for each cylinder, including number of misfires for the most recent drive, and the total for the past 10 cycles (drives). This scanner and app are well worth the money, IMO. I don't know if the cheaper all-in-one handheld units can provide reports like this.


Mines a July 2012 model, v6.

Does 10yr/150k, is it which ever comes first?? Because at 10yrs sounds great but 150k is not too far off!

I bought a Bluetooth elm odb2, I'll give torque app a go...
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 360
wk2driver is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Mines a July 2012 model, v6.

Does 10yr/150k, is it which ever comes first?? Because at 10yrs sounds great but 150k is not too far off!

I bought a Bluetooth elm odb2, I'll give torque app a go...
I stand corrected, it includes 2013 models as well. wk2jeeps.com has the notice here:
http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900214b.pdf

Yes, the extended warranty is 10y or 150k, whichever comes first. If you are close to 150k you can probably assume you are not affected. Or rather, FCA figured if the part can survive for 150k miles before cracking is is not "defective". You could probably work a discount with a good dealership if yours failed at say, 175k. It's not a cheap fix, but it's not a major expense like a new engine, either.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 475
Thanks: 30
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 3075
imaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond reputeimaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2driver View Post
I stand corrected, it includes 2013 models as well. wk2jeeps.com has the notice here:
http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900214b.pdf

Yes, the extended warranty is 10y or 150k, whichever comes first. If you are close to 150k you can probably assume you are not affected. Or rather, FCA figured if the part can survive for 150k miles before cracking is is not "defective". You could probably work a discount with a good dealership if yours failed at say, 175k. It's not a cheap fix, but it's not a major expense like a new engine, either.


Argh 150k miles! Not km...
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-15-2016, 11:57 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Langlady79 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

I have a 2012 GC and had this issue. I had to take it to a mechanic who was the one that told me about the TSB and its covered up to 150K miles. I got mine used from CarMax and didn't start getting the issue until 96K miles. The dealership had to completely rebuild the left bank because they would only fix the symptoms not the problem until I called corporate. It was doing good until it came back again and be more apparent after towing a trailer that is well below the tow capacity. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 522
Onlyjeeps is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

My jeep is currently at the dealership having the left side head replaced under this extended warranty and they are telling me that the new engine oil isn't covered by Chrysler. Has anyone else been charged for the oil when having this done?

Reading the TSB the oil and filter are listed as required parts.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2751
Jdsmitty10 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

just had this issue fixed on my 2012. Glad to have remote start back since it doesnt work with the CEL on...Hopefully no issues anymore.
__________________
2012 Limited V6 4x4 w/20" wheels, lux package, 730N stone white on black. 18% tint on front windows
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 Loaded
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 93
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 14607
brandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond reputebrandondmorris has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Onlyjeeps, I had my left head replaced last year and they did the head and several other minor things and I wasn't charged for anything. No oil, filter or anything. That sounds a little fishy.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 409
Thanks: 5
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 2755
Nonstop is on a distinguished road
2012 Jeep GC 3.6L notorious problem

Sadly this was discussed not too long ago, this should tell you about the state of dealers and their level of respect or thievery. FCA wants it to look like they're doing anything they should learn what the word oversight means, dealers are genuinely shit, mostly, but shit. Someone posted the actual procedure in an older thread and it included the oil and filter. Mine was done less than a year ago and the oil and filter were included unquestionably. You shouldn't pay for shop supplies or the techs/writers/mfg incompetence.
__________________
2011 X 3.6
2000 WJ 5.2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 GC Backup Camera Problem cherga Audio/Visual/Navigation 16 11-02-2014 02:26 PM
Audio problem with my 2012 overland Jdrdmg Audio/Visual/Navigation 1 08-01-2012 01:00 PM
2012 GC power steering problem BS.1980 Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 0 07-09-2012 10:56 AM
Hey 2012 owners--I NEED A 2012 JEEP SRT8 pic for CALENDAR! Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 5 12-06-2011 04:21 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.