Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 326
TJD1 is on a distinguished road
2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Drove my new 2014 Overland in the rain this past Sunday evening and I felt like the rain sensitive wipers were super sensitive and wiped at a fast rate regardless of the intermittent setting or the amount of rain on the windshield. It even appeared at times to wipe the windshield when there wasn't any water on it (besides maybe some mist). Basically, the wipers were "running dry" at times.

I checked the uconnect setting and the rain sensitive wipers are enabled. I have to go back to the dealer this week to pick up my plates. Is there any calibration I can have done?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 AM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 2,996
Thanks: 76
Thanked 291 Times in 237 Posts
Rep Power: 5714
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

People have complained about similar activity when having the screen replaced.
In those cases the advice is to run it through a car wash about 3 times to fix it.
__________________

__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 326
TJD1 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUKE View Post
People have complained about similar activity when having the screen replaced.
In those cases the advice is to run it through a car wash about 3 times to fix it.
Thanks. I think I'll first have the Jeep dealer troubleshoot it. Question, when you run it through the car wash, do you leave the rain sensitive wipers on? My local car wash has a sign asking people to turn RSW off.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,514
Thanks: 38
Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
Rep Power: 43991
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUKE View Post
People have complained about similar activity when having the screen replaced.
In those cases the advice is to run it through a car wash about 3 times to fix it.
?! car wash?

Whatever programming or sensors drives those things seems highly inconsistent and inscrutable. While driving in ice/freezing rain it will intermittently go into fast wipe mode. The speed of the fast wipe seems totally unaffected by the current notch setting of the delayed wiper speed. To give the devil his due, the result does appear to be good enough to keep the window clear.

Also apparently unaffected by the notch setting for delayed wipe is how long the blades will stay motionless in extremely light rain/fog--where here it seems to ignore that most of the window is getting mist on it but until the magical part does, it sets there sipping tea unless you use the "mist twist" on the control.

If you wash the vehicle with a personal pressure washer or hose with the engine running, my personal suspicion is that it uses the vehicle proximity sensors to wait
until you are close enough that when it zips the wipers to high speed it has pretty good odds of getting you wet as it splashes wash water all over you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,514
Thanks: 38
Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
Rep Power: 43991
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD1 View Post
Thanks. I think I'll first have the Jeep dealer troubleshoot it. Question, when you run it through the car wash, do you leave the rain sensitive wipers on? My local car wash has a sign asking people to turn RSW off.
Thats wierd, the local touchless type tell you to turn on your wipers during the wash.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 494
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 17750
TurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

I personally think the auto wipers on the Jeep is one of the best implementations I've experienced (2 iterations in my 2 Lexus' were complete garbage, hated them). I usually just leave it on the first click for sensitivity and let it take it from there. I will say, auto wipers in all vehicles I have had have been pretty useless in snowy conditions when the windshield ices up, always have to revert back to manual for that.

If it does seem out of whack (which it sounds like it is if its always going full speed even if the windshield is clear on the lowest sensitivity setting) I'd check to make sure the glass is clean and smudge free in front of the sensor and if it is have the dealer look at it as you said.
__________________
2014 Overland - Granite, Hemi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 326
TJD1 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
Thats wierd, the local touchless type tell you to turn on your wipers during the wash.
That's the difference, my local car wash is not touchless. Brushless, yes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 326
TJD1 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRush View Post
I personally think the auto wipers on the Jeep is one of the best implementations I've experienced (2 iterations in my 2 Lexus' were complete garbage, hated them). I usually just leave it on the first click for sensitivity and let it take it from there. I will say, auto wipers in all vehicles I have had have been pretty useless in snowy conditions when the windshield ices up, always have to revert back to manual for that.

If it does seem out of whack (which it sounds like it is if its always going full speed even if the windshield is clear on the lowest sensitivity setting) I'd check to make sure the glass is clean and smudge free in front of the sensor and if it is have the dealer look at it as you said.
I loved the RSW on my '04 Overland and that's why I suspect something is amiss with this one as it is not behaving anywhere near as well as the '04.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM
archcat74's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 74
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 400
archcat74 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

I've owned a 2005 300c which had this also and it did pretty much the same thing, and my current 14 JGC Laredo does it too. I put it down to the sensor thinking that the amount of rain or the frequency of rain makes it work faster. I find it sometimes turns on in direct sunlight too which tells me the sensor is either light or maybe temperature based perhaps....
__________________
Internet forums - CB radio for the 21st century!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,201
Thanks: 38
Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 2314
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
?! car wash?

Whatever programming or sensors drives those things seems highly inconsistent and inscrutable. While driving in ice/freezing rain it will intermittently go into fast wipe mode. The speed of the fast wipe seems totally unaffected by the current notch setting of the delayed wiper speed. To give the devil his due, the result does appear to be good enough to keep the window clear.

Also apparently unaffected by the notch setting for delayed wipe is how long the blades will stay motionless in extremely light rain/fog--where here it seems to ignore that most of the window is getting mist on it but until the magical part does, it sets there sipping tea unless you use the "mist twist" on the control.

If you wash the vehicle with a personal pressure washer or hose with the engine running, my personal suspicion is that it uses the vehicle proximity sensors to wait
until you are close enough that when it zips the wipers to high speed it has pretty good odds of getting you wet as it splashes wash water all over you.
I noticed the same erratic behavior last night. Turning the stock to off and then back on seemed to make it operate as you would expect but with in a minute or two back to the erratic behavior. I think this must be more software that is still under development like the HVAC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM
WKYeti's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 711
WKYeti is on a distinguished road
Garage
My 05 grands rsw works perfectly, unless my windshield is very dirty or icy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 494
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 17750
TurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Overland - Super Sensitive Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
I think this must be more software that is still under development like the HVAC
You're kidding right? If it was half baked software don't you think people would be jumping up and down (rightly fully so) like with the early/mid transmission software? A single person saying they have what appears to be what a defect, probably sensor or glass related and zero other complaints speaks to the exact opposite of under development (Istowell seems to start to have an issue but seems to admit its not that out of sync). Works as advertised to the point its not even mentioned.
__________________

__________________
2014 Overland - Granite, Hemi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overland Auto rain sensing Windshield wipers Sleestak Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 15 06-17-2013 08:29 AM
(2014 Overland) wipers, headlights, one side LEDS dont work Keirik Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 6 05-29-2013 04:03 PM
Rain sensitive wipers selond Troubleshooting/Problems 2 02-06-2013 02:29 PM
2014 SRT8 WK2 6.2L super charged !!! Saudi.SRT8 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 6 06-20-2012 11:58 AM
Overly sensitive alarm? joshh Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 22 07-21-2011 09:24 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.