Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2711
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
Desert tires look very similar to wheel barrow tires.




Hope they sort it out for you quick!
Also looks almost identical to the tires I have on my trailer (it's a homebuilt one that uses the axle and wheels off a mobile home).
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
xmonger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2003 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Holmdel, NJ
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1735
xmonger will become famous soon enough
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunecrawler View Post
They do. Lots of fun here if/when it rains!
have a look at the tires on recovery truck

Yeah, I imagine it would be much like when it snows in Texas.

That recovery truck is neat. Hopefully Jeep picked up the cost of getting you home.
__________________

__________________
2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Dunecrawler's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1768
Dunecrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDunecrawler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Update:
The dealer test drove the Jeep in the desert and had the same problem again, but it resolved itself the moment they got it back on tarmac. So basically it does not have 4WD while off-roading.
They do not know what the problem is and therefore sent the fault codes to Chrysler US. They are expecting an answer on Monday 20 Dec.
Until then I will just drive it on-road and hope for the best.
__________________
-Willem
'11 WK2 Overland 5.7(Export)
Dark Charcoal, Dark/Light Frost Beige
730/1 NAV (REP)

(Built 21 Aug '10). Ordered on 22 Sept '10 and Delivered 25 Nov '10 in Dubai
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Marlin's Avatar
"The Aussie"

My Jeep: 1981 5.7L CJ
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Licmye Bawlls
Posts: 9,362
Thanks: 61
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 80847
Marlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

On the bright side, it failed for them too!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2711
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
On the bright side, it failed for them too!
This is a good point. It's reproducible, they have fault codes, there ought to be some kind of answer forthcoming.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 694
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2078
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunecrawler View Post
Update:
The dealer test drove the Jeep in the desert and had the same problem again, but it resolved itself the moment they got it back on tarmac. So basically it does not have 4WD while off-roading.
They do not know what the problem is and therefore sent the fault codes to Chrysler US. They are expecting an answer on Monday 20 Dec.
Until then I will just drive it on-road and hope for the best.
That's disturbing. They don't have any idea what would cause the 4wd system to become inoperable on loose surfaces, but work fine on pavement?

Sounds similar to the other guy who got stuck in mud and his 4wd system stopped working. Not that it would have mattered in his case because he was far too stuck, but still, the 4wd system shouldn't just shut down like that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Dunecrawler's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1768
Dunecrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDunecrawler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

UPDATE:
I just got back from vacation. Jeep had the Grand now for 12 days while we were on vacation. They replaced the transfer case, but it is still giving the same problems when they took it for a off-road test in the desert. They again contacted Chrysler US and we are awaiting feedback...again!
__________________
-Willem
'11 WK2 Overland 5.7(Export)
Dark Charcoal, Dark/Light Frost Beige
730/1 NAV (REP)

(Built 21 Aug '10). Ordered on 22 Sept '10 and Delivered 25 Nov '10 in Dubai
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 694
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2078
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

So I guess that eliminates the transfer case as a problem...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1292
Hogs is on a distinguished road
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunecrawler View Post
UPDATE:
I just got back from vacation. Jeep had the Grand now for 12 days while we were on vacation. They replaced the transfer case, but it is still giving the same problems when they took it for a off-road test in the desert. They again contacted Chrysler US and we are awaiting feedback...again!
Hey Dunecrawler, like many I've been watching this thread for some time now. Thanks for sharing your experience and keeping us updated.
On post #51 you said the dealer was sending the fault codes to Chrysler, then in #54 you said the dealer replaced the transfer case. I'm assuming that was Chryslers answer to the fault codes..replacing the transfer case. I'm hoping part of the delay in getting your Jeep fixed is that engineers and the like are on Christmas vacation, not that they're sitting around the break room scratching their heads trying to figure this out.
Please continue to keep us posted. I know I'm going to find some sand as soon as my GC hits the ground to try and duplicate your issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Dunecrawler's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1768
Dunecrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDunecrawler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogs View Post
Hey Dunecrawler, like many I've been watching this thread for some time now. Thanks for sharing your experience and keeping us updated.
On post #51 you said the dealer was sending the fault codes to Chrysler, then in #54 you said the dealer replaced the transfer case. I'm assuming that was Chryslers answer to the fault codes..replacing the transfer case. I'm hoping part of the delay in getting your Jeep fixed is that engineers and the like are on Christmas vacation, not that they're sitting around the break room scratching their heads trying to figure this out.
Please continue to keep us posted. I know I'm going to find some sand as soon as my GC hits the ground to try and duplicate your issue.


I just got it back. They also replaced the "yaw sensor" (before the transfer case).
I agree that it must be electronic as it is fine onroad and only goes off after about a mile of sand driving. The only two problems that I am aware of is that the 4WD does not work and also the QL. When it fails it just gives the "SERVICE 4WD SYS and SERVICE AIRLIFT SUSP" messages.

The reason it is taking so long is that the WK2 was only released here end of October and even then Jeep UAE are not the most knowledgeable even at the best of times.
They get the codes and sends it to Chrysler in Dubai. Once they all agree that they have no clue, they send it to Chrysler US.
With the first attempt they replaced the yaw sensor and after a test drive in the desert followed the whole procedure again and was told to replace the transfer case. IMO it was pointless to replace the TC as the QL is a related problem.
And yes, I am sure the holidays did not help.

By the way, after I got it back, the tailgate chime does not work anymore when opening and closing with power close. I told them this, but said to leave it as is since I prefer it without the chime. They were very surprised by it not working. I wonder what else they disabled during their fault finding mission?

I also told them that I had a sticker custom made for the rear window that says "WORTS 4X4 BY FAR!" and that I will drive with it displayed in the back window until it was fixed. They were not impressed...
__________________
-Willem
'11 WK2 Overland 5.7(Export)
Dark Charcoal, Dark/Light Frost Beige
730/1 NAV (REP)

(Built 21 Aug '10). Ordered on 22 Sept '10 and Delivered 25 Nov '10 in Dubai
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2010 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 130
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1462
Tyrant_246 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunecrawler View Post
I just got it back. They also replaced the "yaw sensor" (before the transfer case).
I agree that it must be electronic as it is fine onroad and only goes off after about a mile of sand driving. The only two problems that I am aware of is that the 4WD does not work and also the QL. When it fails it just gives the "SERVICE 4WD SYS and SERVICE AIRLIFT SUSP" messages.

The reason it is taking so long is that the WK2 was only released here end of October and even then Jeep UAE are not the most knowledgeable even at the best of times.
They get the codes and sends it to Chrysler in Dubai. Once they all agree that they have no clue, they send it to Chrysler US.
With the first attempt they replaced the yaw sensor and after a test drive in the desert followed the whole procedure again and was told to replace the transfer case. IMO it was pointless to replace the TC as the QL is a related problem.
And yes, I am sure the holidays did not help.

By the way, after I got it back, the tailgate chime does not work anymore when opening and closing with power close. I told them this, but said to leave it as is since I prefer it without the chime. They were very surprised by it not working. I wonder what else they disabled during their fault finding mission?

I also told them that I had a sticker custom made for the rear window that says "WORTS 4X4 BY FAR!" and that I will drive with it displayed in the back window until it was fixed. They were not impressed...
Sorry to hear of the all the issues you've been having with the Jeep, but i must say i'm impressed with how your dealer and Chrysler UAE are handling the issue.. their was a time where the answer they would've given you was "tough luck, dont go in the sand and your warranty is void"
Guess the ad with the WK2 in the desert has helped you out here .

but all that aside, how long into driving on sand does it take for the 4wd to stop working? i mean from the looks of it it seems to be a sensor.

was ESP off when the error happened, was sand selected in the selec trac?.. QL all the way up?
sorry for all the questions just brain storming on this issue.. i mean their may not be anything wrong with the 4wd system it maybe another problem causing the 4wd to go into protection mode.. otherwise why would the 4wd re-engage once you get back on the road.
Also does the dealer have a demo WK2.. maybe they should check that one out in the sand and see if this is a common or isolated issue.

Anyways good luck with the truck and i hope it gets sorted out soon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Dunecrawler's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1768
Dunecrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDunecrawler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd Breakdown in just over 2 weeks!!!

Like I said, after about a mile or so of sand driving. In Sand mode. That means QL at ORI and ESP OFF. Loads of these Grands have been in the UAE sand here, it seems I am just the unlucky one.
__________________

__________________
-Willem
'11 WK2 Overland 5.7(Export)
Dark Charcoal, Dark/Light Frost Beige
730/1 NAV (REP)

(Built 21 Aug '10). Ordered on 22 Sept '10 and Delivered 25 Nov '10 in Dubai
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just finished my 2nd CAI jeepgcoman Grand Cherokee - WK 4 03-17-2010 09:34 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community