a/c compressor noise - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Jeff1119's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 294
Thanks: 33
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
Jeff1119 is on a distinguished road
a/c compressor noise

Today I heard this strange noise coming from the a/c compressor any time I rev the jeep while driving. It sounds like a howling sound which you can hear in the video i have listed below. I don't believe I've ever heard this sound before which only happens with the a/c on. Does anyone else hear this as well on their jeep or am i looking at a new compressor? Appreciate any responses

https://youtu.be/E2FT94KwZ_k

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Winnipeg , Manitoba , Canada
Posts: 42
Thanks: 5
Thanked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 511
jcordner is on a distinguished road
Re: a/c compressor noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1119 View Post
Today I heard this strange noise coming from the a/c compressor any time I rev the jeep while driving. It sounds like a howling sound which you can hear in the video i have listed below. I don't believe I've ever heard this sound before which only happens with the a/c on. Does anyone else hear this as well on their jeep or am i looking at a new compressor? Appreciate any responses

https://youtu.be/E2FT94KwZ_k

make an appointment with your local jeep dealer to get a tech to go on a roadtest with you . It's hard to tell on your video , but sounds like with it only occurring with the a/c on , the compressor clutch possibly?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Jeff1119's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 294
Thanks: 33
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
Jeff1119 is on a distinguished road
Re: a/c compressor noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordner View Post
make an appointment with your local jeep dealer to get a tech to go on a roadtest with you . It's hard to tell on your video , but sounds like with it only occurring with the a/c on , the compressor clutch possibly?
Yeah il call them tomorrow to schedule an appointment. It's strange though cause it only makes this noise when flooring it from a stop. Sitting idle or driving at a normal pace it doesn't do it. I know I know don't floor it but it's fun lol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Jeff1119's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 294
Thanks: 33
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
Jeff1119 is on a distinguished road
Re: a/c compressor noise

heres a better video of the noise I'm getting when i floor it driving, i did this in park with the a/c on.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Winnipeg , Manitoba , Canada
Posts: 42
Thanks: 5
Thanked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 511
jcordner is on a distinguished road
Re: a/c compressor noise

almost sounds like when the idler pulley starts to go or when the alternator goes . I would describe it as like a groaning/whining noise. Honestly though being a guy who works in the auto service industry, it's better not to try to diagnose something over a forum or yourself unless you are a mechanic yourself. Nothing more annoying that hearing the words," so I was browsing some forums and think it may be this". You have full warranty and if there is an issue with it after the fact ( like if they refuse to admit there is an issue ) check with another dealer for another opinion.

good luck my friend
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Jeff1119's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 294
Thanks: 33
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
Jeff1119 is on a distinguished road
Re: a/c compressor noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordner View Post
almost sounds like when the idler pulley starts to go or when the alternator goes . I would describe it as like a groaning/whining noise. Honestly though being a guy who works in the auto service industry, it's better not to try to diagnose something over a forum or yourself unless you are a mechanic yourself. Nothing more annoying that hearing the words," so I was browsing some forums and think it may be this". You have full warranty and if there is an issue with it after the fact ( like if they refuse to admit there is an issue ) check with another dealer for another opinion.

good luck my friend
Thanks I appreciate your response. I have made an appointment with the dealer for next Wednesday and plan on showing them the video as well in case they can't duplicate the noise themselves. Hopefully it's something simple to get fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Jeff1119's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 294
Thanks: 33
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
Jeff1119 is on a distinguished road
Re: a/c compressor noise

Update: dropped jeep off at the dealer today and got a call saying their still diagnosing it and will call back tomorrow. The strange thing is I saw one of the workers at the dealer driving a 2012 Jeep Liberty that was making the same noise as in the video I posted. I'm not sure if it's a normal noise now. Almost sounds like the alternator working harder when the a/c is on?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Jeff1119's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 294
Thanks: 33
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
Jeff1119 is on a distinguished road
Re: a/c compressor noise

Well got the car back today and tested another jeep on the lot that pretty much makes the same noise. Guess its normal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird noise 5mins after shut down. Quadra lift compressor? rambaugh Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 2 04-10-2015 06:19 PM
A/C compressor making noise Z28jeep Troubleshooting/Problems 3 06-20-2012 04:24 PM
A/C compressor problems dfwt70gt Grand Cherokee - WK 7 07-25-2010 11:21 PM
Airconditioning compressor switching Frango100 Troubleshooting/Problems 6 05-26-2010 04:28 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.