Aero mode even with ECO off? - Page 5 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
Actually I suspect you're playing the semantics here. But...go ahead and cut the CAN bus lines to your ASCM. Notably, ALL of your air suspension features will no longer work, you'll get multiple error codes, and your toy will no longer be much fun anymore.
Cut the bus lines? LOL, really? No, you really don't get it at all. That's not what I'd do by a long shot. Not even close.

Quote:
Well...except that's not what happens. First, nobody refers to multi-byte messages on a communications bus as "signals" in general unless you're talking low-level modulation techniques--which you are not. But I'll assume you're just mixing up your wording. As I indicated before, the ASCM is requesting data from other modules such as vehicle speed, etc. it then uses that data internally to decide whether or not to enter Aero mode. It doesn't get a "signal" or message from anywhere else telling it to do this.
Again, semantics. It is a signal. All electrical impulses can be defined as signals. You can keep arguing this until your fingers hurt, but the fact of the matter is that defining it as a signal is 100% correct.

Quote:
So...your plan is to do what? Block the compressor? If the ASCM commands the compressor on and no height change occurs, it will throw suspension fault codes. Plus, if you block the compressor, why have an air suspension--you just lost all the other features of it as well. Hence...not really a good "mod."
That would be one way to do it. And no, you wouldn't "lose" air suspension..you'd just temporarily disable it. One flick of a switch would enable it again and all would be just peachy again. But again, that's not how I'd do it....too crude for me.

Quote:
No...I get it. I get that you aren't used to looking at systems as a whole and aren't seeing the consequences here.
Really? So you think you actually know something about me or what I know? LOL at the guy who's afraid to put his money where his mouth is....It's really too bad you're not willing to place a friendly little wager because I'd love to post a video of my dashboard proving that I can drive on highway speeds without being in Aero mode. I just don't have much incentive at this point because Aero mode doesn't really bother me very much. Still though, it might be worth it to prove you wrong and take your money in the meantime.

Quote:
No...I just am getting more and more of the impression that you're an inexperienced kid.
Inexperienced? In what exactly? A kid? Well, maybe if you're in your mid-60s you might consider me a kid because you'd be barely old enough to be my father at that age. But why attack me? Stick to the topic at hand and don't worry so much about how old I am or what I know.

Quote:
Pulling the fuse will completely disable your air suspension. That includes ANY height change--including load leveling and temperature accommodation. I don't think that's what anyone has in mind as a good modification. That's kind of like saying you can get better fuel efficiency by not having an engine. It's true, but kind of defeats the purpose.
What you fail to realize here is that pulling the fuse will disable the air suspension from making any height adjustments, but it will not render the suspension inoperable at all. The bags will still have air in them and they will function normally, much like any basic coil spring.

If I put a switch in line to disable the air suspension before I get on the highway, the vehicle will obviously not go into Aero mode until I hit the switch again. I the meantime, the air suspension will continue to do it's job because it will maintain the same pressurization prior to me hitting the switch. Again, this is not rocket science here and nothing will blow up.

Quote:
You want to specifically disable Aero mode by itself. It's assumed you want your suspension to operate normally otherwise. Without a rather involved engineered solution that goes well beyond pulling fuses this isn't going to happen. You'll set fault codes or disable other aspects (or the whole) of the suspension as well any other way.
It's a temporarily disable, not permanent. It's not meant for anything other than preventing Aero mode on the highway. It will operate normally when re-enabled with a switch.

Quote:
You are aware that the suspension also load levels and makes temperature based adjustments as well right? You're talking about disabling the entire thing. No, the car won't blow up--but I don't think anyone besides yourself would find that to be an actual solution. If you read back to my last message, I distinctly said you could not do this "easily" without also sacrificing the rest of your suspension features. That holds true here still--you're backtracking and saying you can disable Aero mode by basically killing the entire system manually and living with the fault codes. Go ahead--but like I said I can save you gas money to by tearing out your engine too. I'm just not certain anyone would really want that
I'm not backtracking (did you really mean "backpeddling"? LOL) at all. I said from the very beginning that it would be easy to prevent the car from going into Aero mode. I also said that I was talking about something simple, not a complete re-engineering of the system. Not sure how you missed that part, but go back and read it again if you couldn't manage to comprehend it the first time.

Quote:

So...if this is easy, please do tell everyone how you would do this? How are you going to disable Aero mode ONLY without causing fault codes and disabling the entire suspension? If it's so easy, it should be a quick description for you to put down on here.
Wow, I love the fact that you're now including qualifiers. First you just say over and over how it can't be done (easily) and now you're basically admitting that it can be done, but only with "fault codes" and/or "disabling" the entire system. LOL, did you think I was going to do it without disabling the entire system? Really? And like I said, disabling the "entire system" on a temporary basis will not render the vehicle undriveable. Not in the least. The suspension will continue to operator much in the same way that a standard coil spring operates.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #50  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
Now here's your goal: ...
Don't tell me my goal......I'm not going by what YOU think I should do....I'll do it my way and achieve exactly two things:

1. The vehicle will not go into Aero mode at highway speeds
2. The vehicle will remain 100% drivable with the suspension being "locked" at standard (normal) height.

Nothing else matters. Still say I can't do it?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 722
Thanks: 4
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 7469
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Cut the bus lines? LOL, really? No, you really don't get it at all. That's not what I'd do by a long shot. Not even close.

Again, semantics. It is a signal. All electrical impulses can be defined as signals. You can keep arguing this until your fingers hurt, but the fact of the matter is that defining it as a signal is 100% correct.
Well, most engineers (including myself) would argue that you're just playing games with wording. In any case, so...if you're going to interrupt the "signal" (so you understand), and that signal is a message (sorry...but that's what it is) that goes across the CAN bus...how then do you intend to do this? Magic?

Quote:
That would be one way to do it. And no, you wouldn't "lose" air suspension..you'd just temporarily disable it. One flick of a switch would enable it again and all would be just peachy again. But again, that's not how I'd do it....too crude for me.
Now, you do realize that "one flick of a switch" won't just bring it back right? The ASCM will disable the air suspension operation (to avoid overheating the compressor as it will assume there's a leak somewhere). In most cases the system will remain disabled until the next key cycle.

Quote:
Really? So you think you actually know something about me or what I know? LOL at the guy who's afraid to put his money where his mouth is....It's really too bad you're not willing to place a friendly little wager because I'd love to post a video of my dashboard proving that I can drive on highway speeds without being in Aero mode. I just don't have much incentive at this point because Aero mode doesn't really bother me very much. Still though, it might be worth it to prove you wrong and take your money in the meantime.
Okay, so now we've backtracked to your just having to show a video of driving on the highway without Aero mode being active. Ah. So, what started with a conversation that was about disabling Aero mode by itself -- and the idea being to disable JUST that (and I'd be reasonably certain nobody on this thread was talking about just disabling the entire air suspension -- that would be rather silly anything most here would find worthwhile), which you said was "easy", has now been downgraded to any little hack you can do to just make Aero mode "not happen." Even if that means the rest of the suspension is not functioning while you're doing this little test. Now THAT is playing semantics. And it's just ridiculous.

And actually, not being willing to wager money with some person (likely a kid) who is playing serious games with wording on what could have been an interesting discussion with others about the air suspension sounds like a rather intelligent move to make. So I'll stick with that.

Quote:
Inexperienced? In what exactly? A kid? Well, maybe if you're in your mid-60s you might consider me a kid because you'd be barely old enough to be my father at that age. But why attack me? Stick to the topic at hand and don't worry so much about how old I am or what I know.
Well, you certainly act like a kid. At the very least, you start attempting to talk engineering topics that you're really not fluent in, using improper terminology, making claims about something you could do "easy" in the conversation, then modifying that conversation such that you don't really have to do what was being talked about--rather you just disable everything with the resulting undesirable consequences. Your "easy" mod would not be anything anyone would find useful in general, and in most cases rather detrimental.

Quote:
What you fail to realize here is that pulling the fuse will disable the air suspension from making any height adjustments, but it will not render the suspension inoperable at all. The bags will still have air in them and they will function normally, much like any basic coil spring.

If I put a switch in line to disable the air suspension before I get on the highway, the vehicle will obviously not go into Aero mode until I hit the switch again. I the meantime, the air suspension will continue to do it's job because it will maintain the same pressurization prior to me hitting the switch. Again, this is not rocket science here and nothing will blow up.
And now you're down to completely disabling everything...and hitting a switch to pull power from the ASCM every time you accelerate. You'll also throw codes--the various modules in the vehicle aren't real fond of losing communications with each other while the vehicle is in use.

So what you're basically saying is, in a conversation that started with a discussion about disabling Aero mode only, you have proffered a solution that leaves the owner with fault codes in their system, a manual switch that has to be toggled every time they accelerate towards 60, and an air suspension system that likely won't operate again until a key cycle is performed. Huh.

So either you completely misunderstood what the whole goal of the conversation was, or you're deliberately skirting the issue. In either case, I really hope nobody ever lets you touch their vehicle. Wow. Just...wow.

Quote:
I'm not backtracking (did you really mean "backpeddling"? LOL) at all.
Both are applicable.

Quote:
I said from the very beginning that it would be easy to prevent the car from going into Aero mode. I also said that I was talking about something simple, not a complete re-engineering of the system. Not sure how you missed that part, but go back and read it again if you couldn't manage to comprehend it the first time.
Like I said...I don't think ANYONE has in mind the kind of destructive hack you are using in a twist -- simply because you can't fathom the fact that you didn't have any idea what you were talking about to begin with.

Quote:
Wow, I love the fact that you're now including qualifiers. First you just say over and over how it can't be done (easily) and know you're basically admitting that it can be done, but only with "fault codes" and/or "disabling" the entire system. LOL, did you think I was going to do it without disabling the entire system? Really? And like I said, disabling the "entire system" on a temporary basis will not render the vehicle undriveable. Not in the least. The suspension will continue to operator much in the same way that a standard coil spring operates.
Here's where it's clear you're not an engineer, or even really good at dealing with systems and solutions. When I create a solution to a problem (or a perceived problem), I don't use one which creates other problems.

No, I don't believe your original plan was to disable the entire system and accept the fault codes and other detrimental outcomes. You wouldn't have been talking specifically about stopping just some "signal" that tells it to go into Aero mode if that was where you were coming from.

Your exact words:
"...and when it does enter Aero mode, it sends a signal. Again, don't over-complicate this. In the end, a signal is sent to activate Aero mode. That signal can be interrupted."

So...now you're not "interrupting" a signal (which doesn't exist)...you're just blowing out the whole system. Which I said previously you could do...with the resulting consequences. Instead...you continued to go with this "signal" line of reasoning...finally settling on "I'll just cut power to the whole system." Right.

I think you've figured out you were completely off-base and had no way to do this in the manner you were originally thinking and are now making these claims in order to cover your ignorance.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 722
Thanks: 4
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 7469
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Don't tell me my goal......I'm not going by what YOU think I should do....I'll do it my way and achieve exactly two things:

1. The vehicle will not go into Aero mode at highway speeds
2. The vehicle will remain 100% drivable with the suspension being "locked" at standard (normal) height.

Nothing else matters. Still say I can't do it?
All you've done is modify the parameters of what was being discussed originally to...well, down to your skill level (or lack thereof). If you'll note what was being discussed earlier, and in earlier messages I posted, I had already said you could disable the entire system. But...that would have consequences and wouldn't really be something anyone would want to do as a "mod" to their vehicle.

So in the interest of clarity, you certainly can disable the entire air suspension by pulling power to it. Your suspension will no longer auto-adjust for pressure fluctuations (caused by heat, etc), and it will throw error codes. If that's your solution I would highly suggest everyone stay away from it.

So MSCA--claim your "victory"...this bores me at this point and provides no useful information or discourse to this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
Well, most engineers (including myself) would argue that you're just playing games with wording. In any case, so...if you're going to interrupt the "signal" (so you understand), and that signal is a message (sorry...but that's what it is) that goes across the CAN bus...how then do you intend to do this? Magic?
What part of "that's not the way I'd do it" do you not understand?

Quote:
Now, you do realize that "one flick of a switch" won't just bring it back right? The ASCM will disable the air suspension operation (to avoid overheating the compressor as it will assume there's a leak somewhere). In most cases the system will remain disabled until the next key cycle.
Again, that's not how I'd do it....but it is a viable option to achieving the goal.

Quote:
Okay, so now we've backtracked to your just having to show a video of driving on the highway without Aero mode being active. Ah. So, what started with a conversation that was about disabling Aero mode by itself -- and the idea being to disable JUST that (and I'd be reasonably certain nobody on this thread was talking about just disabling the entire air suspension -- that would be rather silly anything most here would find worthwhile), which you said was "easy", has now been downgraded to any little hack you can do to just make Aero mode "not happen." Even if that means the rest of the suspension is not functioning while you're doing this little test. Now THAT is playing semantics. And it's just ridiculous.
Your reading comprehension is weak. Go back and read my posts in this thread from the beginning. Tell me when you get to the part where I said that I'm not re-engineering the system (I mentioned that several times), but rather implementing a temporary way to disable the system from entering Aero mode.

Quote:
And actually, not being willing to wager money with some person (likely a kid) who is playing serious games with wording on what could have been an interesting discussion with others about the air suspension sounds like a rather intelligent move to make. So I'll stick with that.
Since you can't manage to break off that sticking point, I'll tell you that I'm 46 years old. Not many people would consider me a kid....but if you want to, I'm okay with that, Grandpa.

Quote:
Well, you certainly act like a kid. At the very least, you start attempting to talk engineering topics that you're really not fluent in, using improper terminology, making claims about something you could do "easy" in the conversation, then modifying that conversation such that you don't really have to do what was being talked about--rather you just disable everything with the resulting undesirable consequences. Your "easy" mod would not be anything anyone would find useful in general, and in most cases rather detrimental.
And you refuse to admit that what I'm talking about will in fact work. The ironic thing is that you're admitting it without even actually realizing that you're admitting it. The fact that you start putting qualifiers into the discussion shows me that you know that it will work, even if there are other "undesirable" side effects. But once again....that's not how I'd do it. Did you miss the part where I said it would be too crude?

Quote:
And now you're down to completely disabling everything...and hitting a switch to pull power from the ASCM every time you accelerate. You'll also throw codes--the various modules in the vehicle aren't real fond of losing communications with each other while the vehicle is in use.
Um...no....*sigh*...again, that's NOT the way I'd do it. Do I have to say it slower? Break it down for you retard style?

Quote:
So what you're basically saying is, in a conversation that started with a discussion about disabling Aero mode only, you have proffered a solution that leaves the owner with fault codes in their system, a manual switch that has to be toggled every time they accelerate towards 60, and an air suspension system that likely won't operate again until a key cycle is performed. Huh.
LOL....this is getting silly now. Boy, you really pick up the ball and run with it, huh? Again, this is not how I'd do it. Not by a long shot. But it would work.

Quote:
So either you completely misunderstood what the whole goal of the conversation was, or you're deliberately skirting the issue. In either case, I really hope nobody ever lets you touch their vehicle. Wow. Just...wow.
How ironic is it that YOU are the one who first mentioned disabling the entire system as a method to achieve the goal of disabling Aero mode, but then you make multiple negative comments when I simply say that YOUR method would in fact work. You can cut the irony with a knife.

Quote:
Like I said...I don't think ANYONE has in mind the kind of destructive hack you are using in a twist -- simply because you can't fathom the fact that you didn't have any idea what you were talking about to begin with.
I'm not doing your hack. LOL

Quote:
No, I don't believe your original plan was to disable the entire system and accept the fault codes and other detrimental outcomes. You wouldn't have been talking specifically about stopping some "signal" that tells it to go into Aero mode specifically if that was where you were coming from. I think you've figured out you were completely off-base and had no way to do this in the manner you were originally thinking and are now making these claims in order to cover your ignorance.

Cover my ignorance? Okay, kiddo...if that what you think. I still know for a fact that I can achieve the goal of preventing the vehicle from going into Aero mode on the highway. And for the 50th time--no, I'm not planning to disable the system in the crude manner in which you mentioned. Hey, I'll give you a hint: My solution involves a signal. That's right, a signal. You know, those things you keep trying to correct me on. I'll let you guess which signal I plan on intercepting. It should be obviously to anyone with half a brain. I'll give you an even bigger hint (just because I think you need it)---it involves a hall effect sensor. Oh no, I let the cat out the bag now.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
All you've done is modify the parameters of what was being discussed originally to...well, down to your skill level (or lack thereof). If you'll note what was being discussed earlier, and in earlier messages I posted, I had already said you could disable the entire system. But...that would have consequences and wouldn't really be something anyone would want to do as a "mod" to their vehicle.

So in the interest of clarity, you certainly can disable the entire air suspension by pulling power to it. Your suspension will no longer auto-adjust for pressure fluctuations (caused by heat, etc), and it will throw error codes. If that's your solution I would highly suggest everyone stay away from it.

So MSCA--claim your "victory"...this bores me at this point and provides no useful information or discourse to this forum.
Wow, you seem so angry. Easy up, bud. I'd hate to see you have a heart attack over a simple forum discussion.

I still find it funny that you keep going back to the "disable the entire system" debate. How many times do I have to tell you that's not part of my plan?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 722
Thanks: 4
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 7469
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Wow, you seem so angry. Easy up, bud. I'd hate to see you have a heart attack over a simple forum discussion.

I still find it funny that you keep going back to the "disable the entire system" debate. How many times do I have to tell you that's not part of my plan?
Angry? No. Amused and disappointed that this has degenerated into this kind of stupidity on all sides.

I challenged you to actually put forth your grand plan. Which...you won't. I also gave you challenges to overcome...which you claim you won't do.

So, let's hear your grand plan. Please do make this a constructive conversation...it would be a welcome change.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 722
Thanks: 4
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 7469
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
My solution involves a signal. That's right, a signal. You know, those things you keep trying to correct me on. I'll let you guess which signal I plan on intercepting. It should be obviously to anyone with half a brain. I'll give you an even bigger hint (just because I think you need it)---it involves a hall effect sensor. Oh no, I let the cat out the bag now.

Oh? Which one?

Did it occur to you that nobody is going down the path you are because it won't work very well?

In any case, which hall-effect type sensor are you going to alter? What will be the consequences? Will everything else still work? Please do enlighten everyone. Since you've stated disabling the entire system is not your plan and all. Actually, since you've "let the cat out of the bag" in terms of what you plan on doing...let's just look at that.

Hall effect sensor. Hmm...so many to choose from. However, which would have anything to do with Aero mode? Crankshaft position sensor? No. Camshaft position sensor? Nah. Transmission input shaft speed sensor? Uh uh. Oh...wait...wheel speed sensor! Oh...er...there are 4.

So let's see...4 wheel speed sensors. Presumably you'd want to modify these to show a lower speed than the speed Aero mode is triggered. So..you need to modify all 4...and they all need to show at least proportional speeds to the actual speed (otherwise the DTCM and ABS are useless, and your ESP isn't going to be working). This is a bit more complicated than "easy"...but...okay...let's roll with it.

Uh oh. There are no wheel speed sensor inputs to the ASCM. Ah...yes, they actually go into the ABS controller. The ABS controller is actually interpreting the vehicle speed. Any other module that wants to know this information does not have direct connections to the wheel speed sensors--they request and receive this information over the CAN bus from the ABS controller. Messages. And that bus has MANY messages on it for many different things.

So let's say you do manage to modify all 4 wheel speed sensors, in a way that is proportional to actual speed. Now you have a different problem. Your ABS may work, but its not going to have the correct information so it's going to be dangerous. The TCM will likely flip out and throw codes because it's going to see input shaft speeds on its own and is going to see they don't correlate properly with vehicle speed. It'll also shift bizarrely. The DTCM will likely do weird things with the transfer case clutches. Your speed control won't work right, of course -- and your collision mitigation could very well become a dangerous thing. Of course, the instrument cluster will show an incorrect speed. And on and on. There are hundreds of what are called "rationality checks" in each module -- where data received from other modules is compared against direct inputs to the checking module to see if the data makes sense. If not...all kinds of fault codes get set.

This idea, which is the only hall effect sensor idea that would make any sense, relies entirely upon your thought that every module (including the ASCM) that needs vehicle speed has a direct signal wire from each sensor. And what I've been trying to tell you is that they don't. Only the module that uses this information directly (in this case the ABS controller) tends to have a direct signal connection. Every other module shares that information over the CAN bus via messages from the host module. Just like computer networking. So you can't modify these particular signals without affecting EVERY module in the system--there is no way to modify it for just the ASCM--it doesn't see that signal directly. It sees messages from the ABS controller with the data the ABS controller gets from that signal.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
Oh? Which one?

Did it occur to you that nobody is going down the path you are because it won't work very well?

In any case, which hall-effect type sensor are you going to alter? What will be the consequences? Will everything else still work? Please do enlighten everyone. Since you've stated disabling the entire system is not your plan and all. Actually, since you've "let the cat out of the bag" in terms of what you plan on doing...let's just look at that.

Hall effect sensor. Hmm...so many to choose from. However, which would have anything to do with Aero mode? Crankshaft position sensor? No. Camshaft position sensor? Nah. Transmission input shaft speed sensor? Uh uh. Oh...wait...wheel speed sensor! Oh...er...there are 4.

So let's see...4 wheel speed sensors. Presumably you'd want to modify these to show a lower speed than the speed Aero mode is triggered. So..you need to modify all 4...and they all need to show at least proportional speeds to the actual speed (otherwise the DTCM and ABS are useless, and your ESP isn't going to be working). This is a bit more complicated than "easy"...but...okay...let's roll with it.

Uh oh. There are no wheel speed sensor inputs to the ASCM. Ah...yes, they actually go into the ABS controller. The ABS controller is actually interpreting the vehicle speed. Any other module that wants to know this information does not have direct connections to the wheel speed sensors--they request and receive this information over the CAN bus from the ABS controller. Messages. And that bus has MANY messages on it for many different things.

So let's say you do manage to modify all 4 wheel speed sensors, in a way that is proportional to actual speed. Now you have a different problem. Your ABS may work, but its not going to have the correct information so it's going to be dangerous. The TCM will likely flip out and throw codes because it's going to see input shaft speeds on its own and is going to see they don't correlate properly with vehicle speed. It'll also shift bizarrely. The DTCM will likely do weird things with the transfer case clutches. Your speed control won't work right, of course -- and your collision mitigation could very well become a dangerous thing. Of course, the instrument cluster will show an incorrect speed. And on and on. There are hundreds of what are called "rationality checks" in each module -- where data received from other modules is compared against direct inputs to the checking module to see if the data makes sense. If not...all kinds of fault codes get set.

This idea, which is the only hall effect sensor idea that would make any sense, relies entirely upon your thought that every module (including the ASCM) that needs vehicle speed has a direct signal wire from each sensor. And what I've been trying to tell you is that they don't. Only the module that uses this information directly (in this case the ABS controller) tends to have a direct signal connection. Every other module shares that information over the CAN bus via messages from the host module. Just like computer networking. So you can't modify these particular signals without affecting EVERY module in the system--there is no way to modify it for just the ASCM--it doesn't see that signal directly. It sees messages from the ABS controller with the data the ABS controller gets from that signal.
You are so far off that it's not even worth my time to reply, so I'll just leve it at that or now. Oh, and BTW, four wheel speed signals are not required to do what I'm talking about. Modifying any of the wheel speed sensor output signals isn't even necessary. Just goes to prove that you can't think outside the box. Thanks for trying though....
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post

I challenged you to actually put forth your grand plan. Which...you won't. I also gave you challenges to overcome...which you claim you won't do.

.
And I challenged you to a friendly wager to make it worth my while.....put up or shut up.

And again, I'm not trying to overcome any of your challenges. Get over yourself already and realize that you're nobody and the world doesn't revolve around you. Your arrogance is simply astounding.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 722
Thanks: 4
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 7469
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
You are so far off that it's not even worth my time to reply, so I'll just leve it at that or now. Oh, and BTW, four wheel speed signals are not required to do what I'm talking about. Modifying any of the wheel speed sensor output signals isn't even necessary. Just goes to prove that you can't think outside the box. Thanks for trying though....

Right. But you won't share what your plan is. Okay...'nuff said on that.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 722
Thanks: 4
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 7469
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Aero mode even with ECO off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
And I challenged you to a friendly wager to make it worth my while.....put up or shut up.

And again, I'm not trying to overcome any of your challenges. Get over yourself already and realize that you're nobody and the world doesn't revolve around you. Your arrogance is simply astounding.

Okay. Have fun with your phantom plan that you can't share (mainly because you don't have one, or are afraid that when scrutinized it won't work). That's cool

But...if you REALLY want a wager....mainly because of morbid curiosity:

I'll wager you that you can't get rid of Aero mode ONLY without:

1) Disabling the entire suspension or making other parts of it not work or work incorrectly. FYI: if you disable power to the ASCM and it "boots up" from being reactivated while the vehicle is in motion it will disable itself until the next key cycle due to a fault condition--it assumes it crashed and is not operating reliably. If your idea was to use your own speed sensor to trip the power...you might want to re-think it. Besides...if you're adding new sensors aren't you trying to re-engineer it?
2) Causing error conditions -- this includes other systems not functioning properly and/or throwing fault codes.

Your solution must be "easy"--I'd say you should be able to complete it within a week. The solution should have the original, desired effect of eliminating only Aero mode.

The solution must be fully described, and reproducible by others using your write-up. I will reproduce it myself as well, and will use a Chrysler scan tool to verify operation.

And no...we won't go back to your just needing to show a video of Aero mode not happening. We won't go back to just pulling fuses--I think everyone here would agree that was not the spirit or intention of this conversation in the very beginning--and I made reference to that early on in post #23--to which you continued to argue.

On these conditions I will bet you, and you can name the bet under these conditions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V8 eco mode vs V6 sport mode dtrvm Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 11 09-17-2015 10:53 AM
Over ride aero mode Mv090 Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 19 03-10-2015 11:50 AM
Aero Mode Engagement frall9 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 20 08-01-2014 02:15 PM
2014 Gr. Cherokee Quadra-Lift/Aero mode tln1313 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 14 04-30-2014 05:55 PM
2014 V6 Eco Mode - How to default to off?!? kirk1233 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 63 03-28-2013 02:42 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.