Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #409  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 448
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 4982
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
I agree. What I disagree with is; "and here's a HUGE but...what most people don't realize is that they are paying dearly for that." I believe that many people don't want to spend a nickel more than they absolutely have to, to the point of spending hours and hours to save a couple of bucks. But I think that people who are willing to pay for that "extra care" know they are paying for it. Of course both our opinions are based on our own circle of friends and acquaintances. ---
People know they are paying more. But most, on some level, are made to believe they are paying more for the car itself (which in turn makes the CAR better...further enhancing the image). The magical luxury vehicle...which in turn affords them a "status"....and one of the perks of that status (being part of that "club") is this special treatment they get. Most don't directly realize that the "luxury" vehicle they just purchased didn't really cost that much more to build than the "standard" vehicle and that part of the extra money they just spent goes into that dealership special treatment incentive (and just the markup of the brand). They associate the special treatment with the status being afforded to them by buying the car....the expensive car that is "better" because of that higher price.

And yes...you're absolutely right. People do tend to have biased views because the tend to form circles of people around them who are like-minded.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,873
Thanks: 527
Thanked 848 Times in 467 Posts
Rep Power: 1926989
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post

People know they are paying more. But most, on some level, are made to believe they are paying more for the car itself (which in turn makes the CAR better...further enhancing the image). The magical luxury vehicle...which in turn affords them a "status"....and one of the perks of that status (being part of that "club") is this special treatment they get. Most don't directly realize that the "luxury" vehicle they just purchased didn't really cost that much more to build than the "standard" vehicle and that part of the extra money they just spent goes into that dealership special treatment incentive (and just the markup of the brand). They associate the special treatment with the status being afforded to them by buying the car....the expensive car that is "better" because of that higher price.

And yes...you're absolutely right. People do tend to have biased views because the tend to form circles of people around them who are like-minded.
I am buying a Jeep Diesel because I need one.... that is about it.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 448
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 4982
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
I am buying a Jeep Diesel because I need one.... that is about it.
Party pooper
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_K For This Useful Post:
  #412  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,873
Thanks: 527
Thanked 848 Times in 467 Posts
Rep Power: 1926989
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post

Party pooper
Peter,

I will argue with you some other day... today I do not have the energy as you are a good opponent...

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 AM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1303318
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And so it continues...

Its true that Jeep is not a luxury automaker, and that one does pay for the level of service one gets from a luxury car dealership. You're paying less for it in the price of the car than you are the cost of service. Labor at my Lexus dealer is $130 an hour!

BUT...they are trying to position themselves as having a product that competes with luxury brands in the Grand Cherokee. It surely does on price. They need a solution there.

Perhaps the solution is to provide a different level of service for GC owners, or at least Overland+ owners. Hyundai for instance offers pick up, drop off, loaners, etc for Genesis and Equus owners that they don't offer for the rest of their lineup.

Hell...I'd be happy with the lowliest Jeep Compass or Dodge Dart or something to run around in while its in the shop.
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 448
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 4982
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
BUT...they are trying to position themselves as having a product that competes with luxury brands in the Grand Cherokee. It surely does on price. They need a solution there.
Yes, they do. But this isn't a change that happens right away...perception takes a long time to alter...and it may not be exactly where they want to go.

Plus...haven't you noticed that in general the other automakers that offer luxury brands have separated those as much as possible from their standard brands? Completely separate dealerships--Lexus vs Toyota for example.

More price hiking than you may think goes into the car itself. Let's look at the previous GX470 on the Lexus side vs the 4Runner. Exact same chassis and mechanicals, some sheet metal changes, and some minor interior changes. Yet...a $20K difference in price towards the GX470. The larger majority of that $20K+ is brand pricing...profit incentive and goes towards many things, including that "experience."

So, imagine the JGC under a luxury branding to give you that "experience" as well. Would you pay $70K for an Overland to get it? Remember...that per-unit cost hike isn't going to be minor...it tends to be significant in order to lather down profit across the chain as incentive. Would you be okay with $130/hr labor rates in service? The techs in general aren't paid much more (if at all) at those dealerships...most of that difference over the $90 - $110 standard rates is dealer overhead changes and profit--for that "experience."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,878
Thanks: 297
Thanked 300 Times in 265 Posts
Rep Power: 1801303
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And so it continues...

Maybe Chrysler can bring back the Imperial name and make it a luxury brand. Luxury brands seem to continue to do well, even if you are paying for the name plate and a better cup of coffee.


Oh yeah ... and bring back chrome!


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,873
Thanks: 527
Thanked 848 Times in 467 Posts
Rep Power: 1926989
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post

Oh yeah ... and bring back chrome!

---
I am pretty sure for the most part they already did!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 AM
DCRSRT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hills District, Sydney Australia
Posts: 935
Thanks: 272
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 1855
DCRSRT is on a distinguished road
Re: And so it continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Oh yeah ... and bring back chrome! --

Quote of the day
__________________
PM me if you want to buy a NEW SRT in Sydney.

MY14 Deep Cherry Red JGC SRT.
Mods: Borla ATAK axle back exhaust. Hawk HP Ceramic Brake Pads. CLS headlight ribbon mod.
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1303318
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And so it continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
Yes, they do. But this isn't a change that happens right away...perception takes a long time to alter...and it may not be exactly where they want to go.

Plus...haven't you noticed that in general the other automakers that offer luxury brands have separated those as much as possible from their standard brands? Completely separate dealerships--Lexus vs Toyota for example.
They have said repeatedly upmarket is where Jeep wants to go. If they want to make people accustomed to upmarket service at least satisfied with Jeep service, they need to work on it. Hyundai is a good template because they have not created a separate brand and they are making it work, satisfaction for Equus and Genesis owners is very high. Same dealers, its just they've decided to keep the customer OUT of the dealership. They have cost for people to go get cars and drop off loaners, and they have the expense of the loaners but they don't have to change the dealerships. That would work for me. If you buy an Overland, Summit or SRT Jeep free pick up-drop-off and a Grand Cherokee loaner.

Hyundai even brings an Equus demo to your home or work to present it to you, and the purchase process happens in your home or work. The customer never enters the dealer because the dealer would turn him off of the car.

Yes it takes time, but they need to show they are starting in some way. Loaners aren't that expensive, the dealer buys them at cost, keeps them for 10k miles and sells them CPO.

Quote:
More price hiking than you may think goes into the car itself. Let's look at the previous GX470 on the Lexus side vs the 4Runner. Exact same chassis and mechanicals, some sheet metal changes, and some minor interior changes. Yet...a $20K difference in price towards the GX470. The larger majority of that $20K+ is brand pricing...profit incentive and goes towards many things, including that "experience."
First off, the GX is not just a "rebadged 4Runner". It shares the same basic frame as the 4 Runner (as do several vehicles), but its actually a Land Cruiser Prado. The sheetmetal is entirely seperate from the 4Runner, as is the interior, if its a rebadged anything its a rebadged foreign market Prado. The GX470 has a lot of additional features, refinement, warranty, dealer experience, these things contribute to a higher price.

If you compare a GX to a Jeep Overland, its not that much more...maybe $5k. That $5k gets you a year longer on the warranty, excellent dealer service for any issues you may have even if you choose not to pay the dealer for scheduled maintenance, and a bigger 3 row vehicle. Not to say the GX is a better vehicle as I prefer the Jeep, but the value differential is not as wide as you would think.

You must remember dealers are not owned by the manufacturer, they are independent franchises and have to be run as separate businesses in and of themselves. Dealerships make more money servicing cars than selling them. Theres not a lot more profit in a Lexus than a Grand Cherokee.

Quote:
Would you be okay with $130/hr labor rates in service? The techs in general aren't paid much more (if at all) at those dealerships...most of that difference over the $90 - $110 standard rates is dealer overhead changes and profit--for that "experience."
Quite frankly...if they would fix my Jeep the first time and give me a loaner...I'd pay $130 an hour for service. You can tell me "to just rent a car" but thats a PITA. I want to arrive at the dealer and leave in a loaner. I don't want to have to be picked up at the dealer from Enterprise, go there...wait there...arrive back there...wait to be taken to the dealer...and then wait there for the Jeep. I don't have time for that. For the conquest customers they hope to get from Land Rover, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi...thats a huge departure from what they're used to.

You also have to remember that a luxury buyer doesn't really care about "value" in what they are getting for service. Its about a nice experience, that takes a minimum of time out of one's busy day. People are lined up at Lexus/Mercedes/Audi dealers to pay huge rates for service...and they are happy to do so.

Something isn't a better value if you pay less and get less. Thats what you're getting with Jeep on the service side...less service for less money.
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 448
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 4982
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And so it continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
They have said repeatedly upmarket is where Jeep wants to go. If they want to make people accustomed to upmarket service at least satisfied with Jeep service, they need to work on it. Hyundai is a good template because they have not created a separate brand and they are making it work, satisfaction for Equus and Genesis owners is very high. Same dealers, its just they've decided to keep the customer OUT of the dealership. They have cost for people to go get cars and drop off loaners, and they have the expense of the loaners but they don't have to change the dealerships. That would work for me. If you buy an Overland, Summit or SRT Jeep free pick up-drop-off and a Grand Cherokee loaner.
The Hyundai model is an interesting one. But...notice one thing...the price points of their vehicles has steadily creeped up at a rate that is larger than the average "creep" because of these "experience incentives."

Quote:
Hyundai even brings an Equus demo to your home or work to present it to you, and the purchase process happens in your home or work. The customer never enters the dealer because the dealer would turn him off of the car.
That's being done by some other "standard" dealerships now as well which are trying to promote the "upscale" side of things. But...here's the dilemma, and it applies across all "upscale" experiences. Although the experience is giving you the warm fuzzy...are you getting a better vehicle or actually getting better service? Or do you just FEEL that way...is the PERCEPTION that you are, even when you really aren't? The numbers I've been seeing, and from quite a bit of experience knowing those behind the scenes in dealerships of all types (luxury and not) is that...you aren't really getting either of these. You're getting some extra frills...but those are mostly to give you a perceptive warm fuzzy.

I think a better model would be the "no frills" approach. VERY high vehicle quality and VERY high service technical expertise and repairability, but less money spent on "free espresso" and "presentation." You do realize that those things are...well...basically a distraction. Why are you being distracted? Think about it...

Quote:
Yes it takes time, but they need to show they are starting in some way. Loaners aren't that expensive, the dealer buys them at cost, keeps them for 10k miles and sells them CPO.
Actually, loaners can be a HUGE drain on dealership finances. I know of quote a few dealerships that have dropped their loaner services simply for that reason.

Quote:
First off, the GX is not just a "rebadged 4Runner". It shares the same basic frame as the 4 Runner (as do several vehicles), but its actually a Land Cruiser Prado. The sheetmetal is entirely seperate from the 4Runner, as is the interior, if its a rebadged anything its a rebadged foreign market Prado. The GX470 has a lot of additional features, refinement, warranty, dealer experience, these things contribute to a higher price.
Actually, they're all "carline developed" vehicles, and I think you're underplaying the similarity. The build cost difference between the GX470 and the 4Runner is less than 2%, yet there is a huge premium for the GX470. I've had both to drive BTW...both highest trim level. I would not say at all the GX470 has "a lot" of additional features. Certainly not $20K worth. The parts commonality is in the 90% range.

Quote:
You must remember dealers are not owned by the manufacturer, they are independent franchises and have to be run as separate businesses in and of themselves. Dealerships make more money servicing cars than selling them. Theres not a lot more profit in a Lexus than a Grand Cherokee.
Oh I'm quite aware of this basic fact. But, profit wise luxury brands have far more profit on the new car side than "standard" brands. Part of that is deliberately built into the MSRP set by the manufacturer. The manufacturer also has much more room to incentivize the dealer on the backside as well which the customer does not see.

In actuality, for most "standard" brands, service is a money-maker, but used car sales are a gold mine. New cars sales are often at a loss in many dealerships.

Quote:
Quite frankly...if they would fix my Jeep the first time and give me a loaner...I'd pay $130 an hour for service. You can tell me "to just rent a car" but thats a PITA. I want to arrive at the dealer and leave in a loaner. I don't want to have to be picked up at the dealer from Enterprise, go there...wait there...arrive back there...wait to be taken to the dealer...and then wait there for the Jeep.
Well, we can get into the entitlement mentality that's fairly rampant in some other conversation. But...although YOU would pay that...there are a lot of people who won't. "Standard" brands need to walk that line fairly carefully. As pricing goes up, they lose their base customers who won't pay for these things as they either can't, or view them as frivolous.

Quote:
You also have to remember that a luxury buyer doesn't really care about "value" in what they are getting for service. Its about a nice experience, that takes a minimum of time out of one's busy day. People are lined up at Lexus/Mercedes/Audi dealers to pay huge rates for service...and they are happy to do so.
I think, probably due to the people who surround you specifically, you misrepresent or misconstrue the size of the population that doesn't care about value and will pour money out of their pockets to be given a latte and concierge service at a dealership. Or, more importantly, the size of the population that can do that without causing themselves harm financially in other ways.

Like I said previously, I think a much higher value would be excellent actual WORK on the vehicle and high vehicle quality over these other "services."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 PM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1303318
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And so it continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
The Hyundai model is an interesting one. But...notice one thing...the price points of their vehicles has steadily creeped up at a rate that is larger than the average "creep" because of these "experience incentives."
Their vehicles still present an undeniable value. A Genesis compared to a Lexus ES350 for instance, its a GS style car at an ES price. The Equus compared to the GS350, its an LS style car at a GS price.

Again, less for less money isn't value. You need to be getting more for less. We're getting that in the vehicle, the JGC is more for less...but the service is not.

Quote:
That's being done by some other "standard" dealerships now as well which are trying to promote the "upscale" side of things. But...here's the dilemma, and it applies across all "upscale" experiences. Although the experience is giving you the warm fuzzy...are you getting a better vehicle or actually getting better service? Or do you just FEEL that way...is the PERCEPTION that you are, even when you really aren't? The numbers I've been seeing, and from quite a bit of experience knowing those behind the scenes in dealerships of all types (luxury and not) is that...you aren't really getting either of these. You're getting some extra frills...but those are mostly to give you a perceptive warm fuzzy.
Quite frankly...my experience with Jeep has been so bad with my vehicle needing to spend so much time at the dealer that the poor dealer experience is negating my enjoyment of what is a great car. I've gotten to where I'm close to buying a vehicle which would not be as great a car, but that would be less of a drain on my time and energy...which is valuable.

And luxury is about feel. How things make you feel is very important when you're dealing with a luxury consumer at a luxury price point. Why do you think someone stays in a Ritz Carleton thats in the same location as a Holiday Inn for 3 times as much money? Both have a bed.

Quote:
I think a better model would be the "no frills" approach. VERY high vehicle quality and VERY high service technical expertise and repairability, but less money spent on "free espresso" and "presentation." You do realize that those things are...well...basically a distraction. Why are you being distracted? Think about it...
The better model is not to try and reinvent the wheel. These consumers have certain expectations, and if they really want to be a viable alternative to something like a Range Rover, they need to meet those expectations...not try and re-educate the consumer to a new set of expectations.


Quote:
Actually, loaners can be a HUGE drain on dealership finances. I know of quote a few dealerships that have dropped their loaner services simply for that reason.
But if it keeps customers happy? My #1 complaint and the reason I bitch so much about my Jeep is the fact that I'm left without a car while its being serviced...and it needs a lot of service.

Quote:
Actually, they're all "carline developed" vehicles, and I think you're underplaying the similarity. The build cost difference between the GX470 and the 4Runner is less than 2%, yet there is a huge premium for the GX470. I've had both to drive BTW...both highest trim level. I would not say at all the GX470 has "a lot" of additional features. Certainly not $20K worth. The parts commonality is in the 90% range.
You're just wrong, as wrong as the people I just had this discussion with on the Lexus forum about the GC being a crossover. I've been a Lexus owner and enthusiast (run Lexus forums, etc) for 15 years and fully understand the similarities and differences. There is nothing visibly shared between a US 4Runner and a GX. The GX is a rebadged Land Cruiser Prado and is built on the same platform as the 4Runner, but thats all. The FJ Cruiser is also built on that platform as is the Tacoma.

Anyways, a fully loaded 4Runner Limited with the third row MSRP's for $46,020. The GX starts at $49,085 (without nav). Nav is $1,795...so that brings it to $50,880. The difference is $4,000...not $20,000.

This is a Land Cruiser Prado and a GX:

First gen GX/third gen Prado:




Second gen GX, Fourth Gen Prado:





Quote:
Oh I'm quite aware of this basic fact. But, profit wise luxury brands have far more profit on the new car side than "standard" brands. Part of that is deliberately built into the MSRP set by the manufacturer. The manufacturer also has much more room to incentivize the dealer on the backside as well which the customer does not see.
You'd be surprised. How much profit is in a JGC? The DC Group buy is selling a $48,800 Overland for about $42,500. My GS was $59,900 and I paid $54k which was a bottom deal with a factory to dealer incentive. So...theres actually more profit in a Grand Cherokee.

Quote:
Well, we can get into the entitlement mentality that's fairly rampant in some other conversation. But...although YOU would pay that...there are a lot of people who won't. "Standard" brands need to walk that line fairly carefully. As pricing goes up, they lose their base customers who won't pay for these things as they either can't, or view them as frivolous.

I think, probably due to the people who surround you specifically, you misrepresent or misconstrue the size of the population that doesn't care about value and will pour money out of their pockets to be given a latte and concierge service at a dealership. Or, more importantly, the size of the population that can do that without causing themselves harm financially in other ways.
The people that surround me specifically are luxury buyers...the people who Jeep is trying to convert to the brand from luxury brands. Sense of entitlement? You're damn right. If I'm spending $35,000-$50,000 on a vehicle, I want good service. I didn't think it would be a big deal until my Jeep started spending a lot of time in the shop and I realized how important that service can be.

I agree that a mainstream manufacturer and dealer has to be careful, which is why I like Hyundai's model. They provide a certain level of service for their "premium" models and more typical mainstream service for everything else.

The service they have though needs to improve, because not only is the experience poor...but the actual work being done is poor too.
__________________

__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 GC Overland v6 2wd - A/C Fan Continues to blow - but not through vents... morty346 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 3 07-19-2013 10:11 AM
Tramlining problem continues... and it's not just me seskeet Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 5 07-16-2012 05:16 PM
Viper Wheels Conundrum Continues blackpepper Visual Modifications 17 08-01-2011 10:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community