Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Cperez's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2258
Cperez is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Cperez
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybocf View Post
None of us would be laughing if they found 3 frozen bodies at some camp site with no cell reception because the "WIN" unit didn't get rebooted. It's not just the price of progress, its the responsibility in the engineering as well.

-Ryan
Amen, Ryan.
__________________

__________________
2011 JGC Overland 4x4
Mineral Gray/Black 5.7L Hemi 20" wheels
430n (RHB) Advanced Warning & ACC Group
Sharkfin antenna OEM roof rack/slush & cargo mats
Purchase date: 12.28.10

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 3031
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant View Post
Somebody said that a few of them had the button in the glove compartment. I don't think we've seen a reason why this is, but according to WK2Jeeps.com, Keyless Go is standard across the board. I'm not sure how much deleting that button would save anyway, since everything else is the same in that respect. No WK2 has a traditional key.
I think they don't install the button from the factory so the people that have to jockey the trucks around the shipping yards can start them like a "normal" car. The 2 or 3 I've seen at a dealership that haven't been prepped, as in just off the truck, didn't have the button installed.
__________________

__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
rdalcanto's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 622
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2201
rdalcanto has a reputation beyond reputerdalcanto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybocf View Post
None of us would be laughing if they found 3 frozen bodies at some camp site with no cell reception because the "WIN" unit didn't get rebooted. It's not just the price of progress, its the responsibility in the engineering as well.

-Ryan
This comment struck a chord with me. We take our motorhome on some fun trips towing a vehicle like the Jeep (the Jeep WILL be our tow vehicle this year). We then will use the Jeep to go to some pretty remote areas (one of the sign in sheets in the metal box for a slot canyone we did last year didn't have anyone there before us for a month). If the WIN module suddenly died in the middle of the Utah desert, that could literally kill off my entire family. Another reason I'm going to start renting satellite phones for our trips from now on. Inserting the key in the ignition should start the engine if the battery has juice - period. Hopefully WIN modules fail early if they are going to fail, and by the time we start taking trips in the spring, ours will have proven to be reliable.
__________________
2011 WK2
Overland 4x4 Hemi with Off-Road II
Mineral Gray, Saddle Interior
Tech Package, Rear DVD
Ordered September 18th, 2010
Delivered 1/14/11
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1527
heywaitfourme is on a distinguished road
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

I, too, feel as though the key should start the jeep, regardless of the win module. This is why I tried the key. It didn't work!

I've gotten my rental, a 2010 dakota 4 door 4x4 with the v6! The dealership has been extremely helpful and I am pleased with the process so far, aside from my jeep being broken.

The win module will be here the end of the week; the keys on the other hand are on national back-order! Our jeep will sit until new key fobs are available as I drive the dakota...yay. The v6 in the dakota really REALLY makes me miss the HEMI in the jeep!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywaitfourme View Post
I, too, feel as though the key should start the jeep, regardless of the win module. This is why I tried the key. It didn't work!

I've gotten my rental, a 2010 dakota 4 door 4x4 with the v6! The dealership has been extremely helpful and I am pleased with the process so far, aside from my jeep being broken.

The win module will be here the end of the week; the keys on the other hand are on national back-order! Our jeep will sit until new key fobs are available as I drive the dakota...yay. The v6 in the dakota really REALLY makes me miss the HEMI in the jeep!
There really should be some kind of safeguard if this "WIN" module fails. I don't know anything about this module, but yours is the first time I've heard about it, which is also the first time I've heard about one fail.

It kinda gives you a helpless feeling when an electronic module fails and there's nothing you can possibly do to start the engine. To play devil's advocate, the flip side of the coin is that the PCM/ECU that controls the engine can also fail and leave you stranded. But you hardly ever hear of that happening because they are super reliable. And if sensors fail, often times other sensor input can be used as a substitute to the failed sensor data, or the vehicle can go into "limp home" mode without needing the "missing" sensor data. But at least you're not stranded.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lafayette, TN
Posts: 179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1770
Steve52 is on a distinguished road
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
There really should be some kind of safeguard if this "WIN" module fails. I don't know anything about this module, but yours is the first time I've heard about it, which is also the first time I've heard about one fail.

It kinda gives you a helpless feeling when an electronic module fails and there's nothing you can possibly do to start the engine. To play devil's advocate, the flip side of the coin is that the PCM/ECU that controls the engine can also fail and leave you stranded. But you hardly ever hear of that happening because they are super reliable. And if sensors fail, often times other sensor input can be used as a substitute to the failed sensor data, or the vehicle can go into "limp home" mode without needing the "missing" sensor data. But at least you're not stranded.
I started a thread about my "WIN" module failure months ago. At the time no one else on this forum had reported a problem with it, but it now looks like it was not just an isolated incident.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post
I started a thread about my "WIN" module failure months ago. At the time no one else on this forum had reported a problem with it, but it now looks like it was not just an isolated incident.
Is the WIN module strictly for the passive ignition system? Or is it something that is used on other Jeep vehicles?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Steve52, I found your thread. So it's worth mentioning that the WIN module can possibly be rebooted by disconnecting/reconnection the vehicle's battery. That's good information that everyone should know if they find themselves in a similar situation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1563
rybocf is on a distinguished road
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Steve52, I found your thread. So it's worth mentioning that the WIN module can possibly be rebooted by disconnecting/reconnection the vehicle's battery. That's good information that everyone should know if they find themselves in a similar situation.
Thank you. This is important information.

-Ryan
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1527
heywaitfourme is on a distinguished road
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

I attempted to reboot as well. I did not know this was a procedure, just did it because I figured it to be an electrical issue and it never hurts to disconnect the power. Guess mine was jacked since the reboot didn't work. Oh well, it'll get fixed!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 265
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1716
mrpositraction is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mrpositraction
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

LOL @ people dying. If you are going into remote areas where the level of risk is high enough where people could die then I sure woulnd't depend on my cell phone and my vehicle. I would have taken measures (satelite phone at the least) and enough supplies to survive for a given period of time. You guys crack me up with the off in left field stories! You all must be republicans LOL

This situation is NO different than a battery going dead PERIOD!!!!!! Batteries die all the time instantly (just happend to my wifes 2001 Monte Carlo no more than 6 months ago. She drove it around all day, came home parked it in the drive way, 10 minutes later go out and the battery is dead). Puncture your gas tank, you are out of gas! Rupture and radiator hose or radiator, out of luck. Lose your keys with no tools, dead! Roll over and land on the lid, dead.......etc!!!!!!!

I have been part of tons of forums since 2001 and I have seen some extremes. But as for the most whiniest group I have been a part of you guys take the cake!

I agree, the WIN module causing problems is not acceptable in the least, but to take that piece of information and run with it and all of a sudden people are dying........Really?

EDIT: I bet the guys getting all bent out of shape are the same people who forward the crazy emails, cut and paste the crazy facebook status, and thrive on concpiracy theories......entertaining at best!
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7L Hemi, 730N, Offroad Package II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsmith View Post
No need for decaf. The is the internet. When people challenge you, you have to fly way the hell off the handle. If you don't, you're doing the internet wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
moosehead's Avatar
Horseshoe for the Donkeys

My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CO Rockies
Posts: 3,195
Thanks: 221
Thanked 99 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 1620817
moosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: !$^@&W%&#*#@^!@^@&% jeep !@^$@^

The Donner Party had no electronic modules, keyless entry, or climate control. They survived at high altitude through a severe Sierra winter. Sure of few of them may have died, but they provided food for the survivors.

Horse and buggy rules.
__________________

__________________
2011 JGC Oland Hemi / Borla Catback Proto / Hemifever Tune on DS Trinity / Flyin Ryan PTB / Volant CAI / Bwoody Sway Links / BT Catch Can & Underhood Kit / Jon's Tinted Tails / SRT8 Hood, Steering Wheel, Shiftknob, Pedals / Firestone Dest AT's & Winter 18's / Focal 165 Component Fronts, Alpine PDX 5 Amp, Rockford Fosgate P3 10" Sub & Fiberglass Enclosure / PS2 Grill, Mirrors & Liftgate Strip / Tow Hooks & Skids / JW Speaker LED Foglights / Debadged, Tint, Clear Bra / Sharkfin / Vled & Putco LED's / JRoll Uber-Tech Cabin Filter / RA & Yak Roof Rack / Lit Sills, Slush & Cargo Mats
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LONG ISLAND MEET&GREET&TRAIL RIDE (Riverhead) JeepGuy026 NorthEast 494 08-28-2010 08:49 AM
What do you suggest? Simple subwoofer box & amp to stock MyGig??? White WK Swagga Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 112 01-15-2010 11:21 AM
Kicker Amp (77KICK18AB) & Boston Acoustics oem speakers Joe in PA Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 16 11-23-2009 11:00 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.