Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and more! - Page 19 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #217  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 483
Joshi is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

I've been wrestling with a 1-2 upshift hitch (when cold) and rough 5-4-3 (often but with no pattern of occurrence). In May it warranted getting a new transmission installed. The issues returned. After a couple more transmission relearns the problem hasn't gone away, and now they tell me that such behavior is "normal operation". They won't do anything more, and that if they were to try a re-learn the issue would just reappear shortly thereafter. The only thing I can conclude is that if Chrysler can't fix it, it must not be a problem.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #218  
Old 08-09-2016, 03:07 PM
jeepgrady's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lehighton, Pa.
Posts: 349
Thanks: 2
Thanked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 2443
jeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi View Post
I've been wrestling with a 1-2 upshift hitch (when cold) and rough 5-4-3 (often but with no pattern of occurrence). In May it warranted getting a new transmission installed. The issues returned. After a couple more transmission relearns the problem hasn't gone away, and now they tell me that such behavior is "normal operation". They won't do anything more, and that if they were to try a re-learn the issue would just reappear shortly thereafter. The only thing I can conclude is that if Chrysler can't fix it, it must not be a problem.
Chrysler really sucks. How can they tell us it's normal if other owners don't have the problem. Part of me wants to continue to fight with them, but it really sounds like they don't have a fix. The more I think about it, I feel my only solution is to just get rid of it. My only problem is that besides the harsh cold shifts, I love everything else about the vehicle.
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit, Deep Auburn Pearlcoat, Sienna brown/black.

Previous Jeeps: 1986 CJ7, 1995 Cherokee, 1995 Wrangler, 1998 Grand Cherokee Tsi., 2000 Cherokee Ltd., 2002 Liberty Ltd., 2005 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 2012 Grand Cherokee Ltd., and if it counts, my father owned a 1948 Willys.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 08-14-2016, 01:03 PM
jeepgrady's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lehighton, Pa.
Posts: 349
Thanks: 2
Thanked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 2443
jeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

Well, don't want to jinx it, but, took my vehicle to the dealer on Thursday to ensure that it has the most recent software as well as to get another relearn. Spoke to the service tech who has worked on my vehicle many times in the past. I have great respect for the guy. He treats my vehicle with respect: no scuff marks, greasy fingerprints, etc. By the way, he was the one who replaced the valve body last Fall, after which, you may recall, was successful in solving my problem. He seems to be extremely knowledgeable.

He said my software was up to date, and did the relearn. I asked him what else could cause the problem. He had my head spinning talking about different solenoids, ratios etc. Anyway, he said to give it a couple of days and see how she runs.

As I said, this was Thursday. Since then it shifts as smooth as butter. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I have a theory. If you look at the process of what the relearn procedure is, it appears to be quite detailed oriented. Now the previous relearn, performed several weeks ago did nothing to correct my issue. I noticed at that time that it was done by a different technician. It may be possible that some techs have no clue what they are doing in performing the relearn, and as a result, our problems continue.

Of course, it doesn't answer why a relearn is required periodically in the first place. However, if the tech. doesn't have a clue, of course a positive outcome will not occur.

I hope this does the trick. I really don't want to get rid of my Summit.
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit, Deep Auburn Pearlcoat, Sienna brown/black.

Previous Jeeps: 1986 CJ7, 1995 Cherokee, 1995 Wrangler, 1998 Grand Cherokee Tsi., 2000 Cherokee Ltd., 2002 Liberty Ltd., 2005 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 2012 Grand Cherokee Ltd., and if it counts, my father owned a 1948 Willys.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepgrady For This Useful Post:
  #220  
Old 08-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Laxjeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CLT, NC
Posts: 463
Thanks: 258
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1777
Laxjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrady View Post
Well, don't want to jinx it, but, took my vehicle to the dealer on Thursday to ensure that it has the most recent software as well as to get another relearn. Spoke to the service tech who has worked on my vehicle many times in the past. I have great respect for the guy. He treats my vehicle with respect: no scuff marks, greasy fingerprints, etc. By the way, he was the one who replaced the valve body last Fall, after which, you may recall, was successful in solving my problem. He seems to be extremely knowledgeable.

He said my software was up to date, and did the relearn. I asked him what else could cause the problem. He had my head spinning talking about different solenoids, ratios etc. Anyway, he said to give it a couple of days and see how she runs.

As I said, this was Thursday. Since then it shifts as smooth as butter. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I have a theory. If you look at the process of what the relearn procedure is, it appears to be quite detailed oriented. Now the previous relearn, performed several weeks ago did nothing to correct my issue. I noticed at that time that it was done by a different technician. It may be possible that some techs have no clue what they are doing in performing the relearn, and as a result, our problems continue.

Of course, it doesn't answer why a relearn is required periodically in the first place. However, if the tech. doesn't have a clue, of course a positive outcome will not occur.

I hope this does the trick. I really don't want to get rid of my Summit.

My fingers are crossed for you! Hope it finally sticks!
Fwiw, you may b on to something....I had the relearn in early June and it didn't do a darn thing. Then after the valve body & relearn by the certified tranny tech, it works great.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 09-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 40
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 88007
jadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond reputejadamczyk22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

There is a new tsb that addresses the shift issues in 2014's

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2102916.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 09-07-2016, 04:47 PM
jeepgrady's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lehighton, Pa.
Posts: 349
Thanks: 2
Thanked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 2443
jeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamczyk22 View Post
There is a new tsb that addresses the shift issues in 2014's

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2102916.pdf
That only pertains to the 6.4 SRT, not the 3.6.
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit, Deep Auburn Pearlcoat, Sienna brown/black.

Previous Jeeps: 1986 CJ7, 1995 Cherokee, 1995 Wrangler, 1998 Grand Cherokee Tsi., 2000 Cherokee Ltd., 2002 Liberty Ltd., 2005 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 2012 Grand Cherokee Ltd., and if it counts, my father owned a 1948 Willys.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 09-10-2016, 09:16 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10618
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

There's a standard line in the procedure for doing any flash/software update...

NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.

That's a really tight voltage range to maintain. Sometimes I wonder just how careful they are in following this and how much this is a factor in whether the update is successful or not.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 10-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 373
Calzoner is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

So after a year of shifting issues, the dealership is finally willing to install a new valve body on my tranny. This thread has been quiet for awhile but was curious if any of you that got new valve bodies are still running smoother than before?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 10-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Laxjeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CLT, NC
Posts: 463
Thanks: 258
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1777
Laxjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

JTS/jeepgrady how are you both holding up? I'm not doing too well now that cooler temps have arrived. Started same rough pattern on Saturday.
JTS, you are in a colder climate than me, how is it first thing in the AM? Still good?


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 10-17-2016, 06:25 PM
jeepgrady's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lehighton, Pa.
Posts: 349
Thanks: 2
Thanked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 2443
jeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

Well, the cold start 2-3 upshift was never totally gone, but it was much improved. Hasn't been that cold yet near me, so time will tell. I can assume that as the temps get colder, the harshness will continue longer until the tranny temp rises.
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit, Deep Auburn Pearlcoat, Sienna brown/black.

Previous Jeeps: 1986 CJ7, 1995 Cherokee, 1995 Wrangler, 1998 Grand Cherokee Tsi., 2000 Cherokee Ltd., 2002 Liberty Ltd., 2005 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 2012 Grand Cherokee Ltd., and if it counts, my father owned a 1948 Willys.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepgrady For This Useful Post:
  #227  
Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
RubixCubed is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

Hi All: I just dropped my '15 JGC Summit off at the dealer for the cold hard shifting 2-3 issue. I tried the battery disconnect, and I noticed some improvement, but not a satisfactory amount. Are there still folks that have not had this issue resolved yet? I am a first time jeep owner after owning a car for 9 years that needed nothing but brakes, and this whole issue has been sitting like a rock in my stomach.

I have read through most of the 19 pages on the thread, and it seems most of you have, through much persistence, have persevered in getting this resolved (i.e. JTS and Jeepgrady). Is this the case for most people? I would appreciate any tips/advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:38 PM
jeepgrady's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lehighton, Pa.
Posts: 349
Thanks: 2
Thanked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 2443
jeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond reputejeepgrady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubixCubed View Post
Hi All: I just dropped my '15 JGC Summit off at the dealer for the cold hard shifting 2-3 issue. I tried the battery disconnect, and I noticed some improvement, but not a satisfactory amount. Are there still folks that have not had this issue resolved yet? I am a first time jeep owner after owning a car for 9 years that needed nothing but brakes, and this whole issue has been sitting like a rock in my stomach.

I have read through most of the 19 pages on the thread, and it seems most of you have, through much persistence, have persevered in getting this resolved (i.e. JTS and Jeepgrady). Is this the case for most people? I would appreciate any tips/advice. Thanks!
Mine really hasn't been resolved. It's better than it was, however, the problem still persists. I'm awaiting the cold temperatures to see how bad it is. My assumption is that the problem is software related and hopefully, a resolution will eventually be forthcoming.
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit, Deep Auburn Pearlcoat, Sienna brown/black.

Previous Jeeps: 1986 CJ7, 1995 Cherokee, 1995 Wrangler, 1998 Grand Cherokee Tsi., 2000 Cherokee Ltd., 2002 Liberty Ltd., 2005 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 2012 Grand Cherokee Ltd., and if it counts, my father owned a 1948 Willys.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did Shudder TSB fix a problem? 2011 Shudder problems thread JoeSchmoe007 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 159 02-14-2011 09:11 AM
Poll: Aug 10 TSB for Shudder Working? moosehead Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 30 12-10-2010 11:47 AM
ATTENTION: SRT Jeep Owners! Opinions needed for this forum! Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK 17 01-24-2010 06:27 PM
4.0l owners....lets talk power and performance BUDAKANE Performance Modifications 68 07-12-2009 10:17 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.