Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 32
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 517
Spocker is on a distinguished road
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFF111 View Post
This is precisely my issue as well. Interesting that the parts guy speculated that numerous owners must be having the same issue based on the fact that the part ordered for me is not expected in for months.

Yes, that's probable exactly what is going on, but you and I are the only vocal ones on the forum about it
I'm wondering now if its just going to be a waste of time leaving the Jeep all day at the dealer tomorrow... Especially if those modules are the issue, and I get the same response you got, that it will be a few months. Very frustrating that something I paid for and use every day is now not working, and looks like there is no end in sight!
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Delivered July 9, 2014!!: 2014 Limited GC V6, Brilliant Black Ext/ Black and Light Frost Interior, LuxGroup II, ORA II, AdvTechGroup
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 718
RFF111 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocker View Post
Yes, that's probable exactly what is going on, but you and I are the only vocal ones on the forum about it
I'm wondering now if its just going to be a waste of time leaving the Jeep all day at the dealer tomorrow... Especially if those modules are the issue, and I get the same response you got, that it will be a few months. Very frustrating that something I paid for and use every day is now not working, and looks like there is no end in sight!
I am surprised as well that more people aren't having this issue, because quite frankly the parts manager was very surprised when I called and he saw that the part was on national back-order (with no chance of it being delivered anytime soon). He admitted he rarely sees this kind of thing (especially on a brand new car). Basically, the dealership does not have a fix for this problem meaning we just have to deal with it. My service advisor told me that Chrysler is telling them NOT to replace these modules but at this point they are not quite sure what the next steps are. Really strange I have never seen anything like this before and I have been through numerous new cars over the years.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 29
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 801
frozennorth is on a distinguished road
I remember Ford Explorers having problems with their electronic power steering failing and the part was on back order for a few months. That problem started with the 2011 model year and continues to the current 2014 models although not as frequent anymore. NHTSA was or still is investigating.

Dealers and manufacturers don't keep extra parts in stock anymore. Helps with cash flow I guess since it would be money sitting on a shelf.
__________________
2014 Overland V8 Black/Black Adv.Tech ORAII
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 718
RFF111 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

My dealer just told me there is no fix other than to wait for the part to arrive (no definitive timeframe unfortunately). Oh, and she said you can certainly take it to another dealer for a second opinion! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean, what is going on here??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM
tomk's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 345
Thanks: 7
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1876
tomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

hmm.. the interesting thing is that that many/most (like mine) are working fine (really well, in fact)..

On the other hand, my keyless entry on the '14 remains intermittent. I had a stretch of maybe three weeks where it was flawless, then over the past three days is has been hit and miss.. one of those days I happened to be at the dealer for an issue with another vehicle, and the service manager told me there is something going on with this (he has a starcase open for me), and "parts are on restriction".. "the diagnostic procedure for the fault code you have doesn't exist in the WiTech" ..

I'm getting the feeling that there are several issues where:
(a) most vehicles are fine - not whether the issue is noticed or not, but they are actually working fine
(b) for any given issue, there are vehicles that are problem children.
(c) it is not clear there is a data collection process in place to get to the bottom of each of these issues, perhaps partially because the dealer service departments don't want to get involved.. they want to get the vehicle out of the bay.

Just my $0.02

...tom
__________________
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L !!
And a few past Durangos
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 994
OverlandSum is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
hmm.. the interesting thing is that that many/most (like mine) are working fine (really well, in fact)..

On the other hand, my keyless entry on the '14 remains intermittent. I had a stretch of maybe three weeks where it was flawless, then over the past three days is has been hit and miss.. one of those days I happened to be at the dealer for an issue with another vehicle, and the service manager told me there is something going on with this (he has a starcase open for me), and "parts are on restriction".. "the diagnostic procedure for the fault code you have doesn't exist in the WiTech" ..

I'm getting the feeling that there are several issues where:
(a) most vehicles are fine - not whether the issue is noticed or not, but they are actually working fine
(b) for any given issue, there are vehicles that are problem children.
(c) it is not clear there is a data collection process in place to get to the bottom of each of these issues, perhaps partially because the dealer service departments don't want to get involved.. they want to get the vehicle out of the bay.

Just my $0.02

...tom
I am still having issues w mine however the dealership says they replaced the wrong mirror. They said error is no longer there. Mine error would come on after start up or shortly thereafter and left mirror indicator remains lit. Will let you know.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 32
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 517
Spocker is on a distinguished road
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFF111 View Post
My dealer just told me there is no fix other than to wait for the part to arrive (no definitive timeframe unfortunately). Oh, and she said you can certainly take it to another dealer for a second opinion! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean, what is going on here??
They have had my Jeep since yesterday and have not found a solution yet. The testing came up with a code that indicated drivers side module failure again. According to the service manager, they tried swapping the modules from side to side, and the computer still indicated a drivers side failure. They tested the cable harness and checked wire by wire connectivity. Still no solution, so they are 'upgrading' the case with Jeep/Chrysler and waiting for a response from them. I guess I have no Jeep for the time being.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Delivered July 9, 2014!!: 2014 Limited GC V6, Brilliant Black Ext/ Black and Light Frost Interior, LuxGroup II, ORA II, AdvTechGroup
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 718
RFF111 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocker View Post
They have had my Jeep since yesterday and have not found a solution yet. The testing came up with a code that indicated drivers side module failure again. According to the service manager, they tried swapping the modules from side to side, and the computer still indicated a drivers side failure. They tested the cable harness and checked wire by wire connectivity. Still no solution, so they are 'upgrading' the case with Jeep/Chrysler and waiting for a response from them. I guess I have no Jeep for the time being.
Hopefully they find out how to fix it out soon and then I'll take my truck back. I hate to leave it with them when they really haven't figured out a fix.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 994
OverlandSum is on a distinguished road
Garage
Good Morning folks. My issue is resolved. My dealer discovered to replace the right mirror, not left. Confirm w ur service department. After 6 appts over two months a new left mirror and new module it's over!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 32
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 517
Spocker is on a distinguished road
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFF111 View Post
Hopefully they find out how to fix it out soon and then I'll take my truck back. I hate to leave it with them when they really haven't figured out a fix.
I got my Jeep back yesterday. After a full day of testing and messing around with it, and I guess not hearing back from Jeep/Chrysler , the service manager came up with a new plan. They removed both modules from my Jeep as well as the wiring harness. They then removed them from a new Jeep they had on the lot ( which, I guess has a newer part number for the module, ending in -af vs -ae) They put those parts in my Jeep, and took it on a road trip, with the system working fine. I guess they put my parts in the brand new Jeep, and by the time they got out to the highway, they had the 'BSM unavailable message'.
I drove mine last night and to work today (about 30 miles) with no issues! Lets hope it sticks!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Delivered July 9, 2014!!: 2014 Limited GC V6, Brilliant Black Ext/ Black and Light Frost Interior, LuxGroup II, ORA II, AdvTechGroup
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 718
RFF111 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocker View Post
I got my Jeep back yesterday. After a full day of testing and messing around with it, and I guess not hearing back from Jeep/Chrysler , the service manager came up with a new plan. They removed both modules from my Jeep as well as the wiring harness. They then removed them from a new Jeep they had on the lot ( which, I guess has a newer part number for the module, ending in -af vs -ae) They put those parts in my Jeep, and took it on a road trip, with the system working fine. I guess they put my parts in the brand new Jeep, and by the time they got out to the highway, they had the 'BSM unavailable message'.
I drove mine last night and to work today (about 30 miles) with no issues! Lets hope it sticks!
Great news! I am happy to hear they finally found a solution. Unfortunately for me, I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than to have my dealer go to those lengths to resolve my BSM problem. They do the bare minimum and nothing more. At one point, they told me, "sure, go to another dealer for a second opinion" LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Angler's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 307
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 41313
Angler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond reputeAngler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blind Spot Detection System

Hooray for your dealer, stepping out of the box and solving the problem on his own. Hopefully your problem stays resolved.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blind Spot Mirrors Red G8R Interior/Exterior/Visual 45 08-21-2014 07:33 PM
Replacement Mygig RHW to Alpine ICS-X8 - Blind Spot Detection error KUBIKR Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 0 06-26-2012 04:25 PM
Towing and Blind Spot warning ENFORCER Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 01-26-2012 04:16 PM
Blind Spot Detection Red G8R Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 05-16-2011 04:35 PM
Blind Spot and Rear Cross-Path Detection Cost dsmith14 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 10-04-2010 06:05 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community