Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1460
websurrfr is on a distinguished road
Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

I haven't seen any others on this forum or elsewhere reporting a similar issue. As soon as I drove my new WK2 off the lot (Laredo 4x4 with Security + Convenience group) the system charging warning light came on (warning light shaped like a car battery).

I drove right back to the dealer but it was late and no mechanics were available so they told me to bring it back during business hours so they could take a look and see what the problem is.

My understanding is that the indicator means the battery is not being charged by the alternator and that when the light comes on you probably don't have very long before the car will shut off. I've driven about 30 miles with the light on now because I haven't been able to get back to the dealer. I am taking the car there in a few hours.

Is it possible that a sensor or something was damaged or misconfigured during the final inspection before they handed the vehicle over? Most other Internet resources indicate that my battery should be dead by now based on the warning.

I looked in the TSB thread and did not find this issue. Is there anywhere else I could check for individuals that have had similar issues? I'm just hoping to arm myself with a bit of knowledge before I go back to the dealer. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1538
Blackwolf is on a distinguished road
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by websurrfr View Post
I haven't seen any others on this forum or elsewhere reporting a similar issue. As soon as I drove my new WK2 off the lot (Laredo 4x4 with Security + Convenience group) the system charging warning light came on (warning light shaped like a car battery).

I drove right back to the dealer but it was late and no mechanics were available so they told me to bring it back during business hours so they could take a look and see what the problem is.

My understanding is that the indicator means the battery is not being charged by the alternator and that when the light comes on you probably don't have very long before the car will shut off. I've driven about 30 miles with the light on now because I haven't been able to get back to the dealer. I am taking the car there in a few hours.

Is it possible that a sensor or something was damaged or misconfigured during the final inspection before they handed the vehicle over? Most other Internet resources indicate that my battery should be dead by now based on the warning.

I looked in the TSB thread and did not find this issue. Is there anywhere else I could check for individuals that have had similar issues? I'm just hoping to arm myself with a bit of knowledge before I go back to the dealer. Thanks.

If the battery is not charging then you'll have issues starting after x amount of cranks not hours. When running the vehical makes the electricity it needs via the alternator. The batter will discharge when starting and will eventiually go dead that way.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2857
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
If the battery is not charging then you'll have issues starting after x amount of cranks not hours. When running the vehical makes the electricity it needs via the alternator. The batter will discharge when starting and will eventiually go dead that way.
It depends on if the alternator is working at all. If not, then it will indeed be running off the battery.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1538
Blackwolf is on a distinguished road
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant View Post
It depends on if the alternator is working at all. If not, then it will indeed be running off the battery.
fair enough
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Frango100's Avatar
Premium Member

My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,773
Thanks: 9
Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 525695
Frango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

If you have a digital volt meter, you could check the voltage of the battery with the engine off. It should be normally around the 12V. Then start the engine and check it again. If the charging system works, the voltage will show now around the 13V. When this is the case, at least you will not be stranded with a depleted battery somewhere along the road, but ofcourse you should take your car to the dealer.
When the voltage doesn't change between engine off and engine running, you can better not use your car, otherwise it can stop at any moment when the voltage gets too low.
__________________
Frank

JEEP Grand Cherokee 4.7 Lmtd 2004
HID 8000K in low and fog / Quad Squad member
Monroe Reflex shocks / Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/17 - Transgo reprogramming shiftkit.

VW Beetle 2.0 TSI 2013
My new toy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1460
websurrfr is on a distinguished road
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Thanks for the advice. I will post results after the dealership looks at it and tells me what the problem is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1460
websurrfr is on a distinguished road
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Looks like I had good timing. Car died a few minutes after I got to the dealership. Should get word tomorrow about what went wrong.

First time I've had to take a car in for service with less than 50 miles on it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2857
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by websurrfr View Post
Looks like I had good timing. Car died a few minutes after I got to the dealership. Should get word tomorrow about what went wrong.

First time I've had to take a car in for service with less than 50 miles on it.
Sounds like infant mortality on the part of some component- either something broke early on (defective part that made it through QC) or something wasn't tightened properly.

Here's hoping they figure it out and fix it fast.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1460
websurrfr is on a distinguished road
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Dealer just called and told me it was a loose connection on the back of the alternator that ended up cutting a wire.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Sid Fields's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 185
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1663
Sid Fields is on a distinguished road
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Glad to hear it was something straightfoward. I wonder. The sales team doesn't appear to have a clue about the new model. You think the service people are up to speed yet?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2857
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Ah, something nice and easy- wondered if it wasn't something like that.

I'd be surprised if the service department was that far behind the curve; they do have service manuals and the like to help them. Besides, alternator wiring is pretty straightforward- if the wire's busted, it isn't going to work, no matter how sweet any new design might be.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
whatevrworks's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 527
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2621
whatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond reputewhatevrworks has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charging system warning light came on right when I drove off the lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Fields View Post
Glad to hear it was something straightfoward. I wonder. The sales team doesn't appear to have a clue about the new model. You think the service people are up to speed yet?
Nope even when I went to pick mine up a month after ordering they were still clueless. Also I went with a friend to order at another local dealership but they had no idea what was going on either.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airbag Warning Light eddiefig Grand Cherokee - WK 28 05-10-2012 07:28 AM
air bag warning light SvenskaJeepGuy Grand Cherokee - WK 3 08-20-2010 12:14 AM
ABS/Traction Control Warning Light Snoopy Grand Cherokee - WK 5 04-04-2010 05:12 AM
Brake warning light... the_cueball Troubleshooting/Problems 6 11-05-2009 08:43 AM
Battery/Charging issues AGAIN!! Harrison@Stage6 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 19 07-16-2009 12:00 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community