Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1483
hammer1234 is on a distinguished road
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1234 View Post
I've had a number of issues that I've noticed with our Jeep that may be addressed in TSBs:
  • Front end squeak and rattle, may be TSB 02-005-10 or maybe even TSB 21-001-11 (Jeep has early build date)
  • iPod Touch connectivity problem, think TSB 08-036-11 applies
  • ESC update from TSB 18-001-11 (one done to address issue that CR found on test drive?)
  • Dead spots in throttle response, think TSB 18-012-11 applies
How does everyone usually address the TSBs with the dealer? Do you describe the problem and then ask if the TSB applies? What if you think a TSB applies but there is no symptom?
Got my Jeep back from the dealer. The receipt shows that TSBs 18-001-11 and TSB 08-036-11 were done and my iPod Touch works again. The service rep I talked to said that there were a "bunch" of updates that were applied but I'm not sure what else was done. I didn't notice any significant improvement in the gas pedal response on the drive home but I'll be towing my camper this weekend so I'll see how that goes.

The front end rattle ended up being a missing caliper anti-rattle clip (?) which is on order...

From my experience, it didn't seem like bringing up the TSBs was an issue.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1138
reedbw is on a distinguished road
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

In addition to Darths question, is there a way we can tell which TSB'S have been applied to our particular vehicle? I'm sure Jeep has a database somewhere. Can we Access it
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1236
DarthPiper is on a distinguished road
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
That capability exists today with the wiTECH tool the dealers should be using to diagnose and repair your vehicle.

Click on the video presentation link at the bottom of this page to see how it works: http://www.dcctools.com/en/witech/index.html

FYI, it scans the vehicle to determine potential upgrades and I suspect the links back to whatever system the service writer users when they punch in your VIN isn't a full peer integration.

What I would love to see is a wiTECH printout of my vehicle to VERIFY that all software updated have been performed and in fact, I'm going to ask my dealer if they will provide that printout (I'm not holding my breath).
Again, you miss the point. I cannot obtain wiTECH without either investing a whole lot of money or other means... because not only will I need to acquire the software, I will likely need to acquire a copy of Windows as well, as I use either Linux or Mac, along with special cables and connectors. I am asking for something that *I* can use from home without anything more than my computer and a web browser. I want to at least be "in the know" about things that may need to be done to my vehicle as well as be able to have a constructive conversation with the service folk at the dealership.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 962
Thanks: 32
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 2892
Cherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPiper View Post
Again, you miss the point. I cannot obtain wiTECH without either investing a whole lot of money or other means... because not only will I need to acquire the software, I will likely need to acquire a copy of Windows as well, as I use either Linux or Mac, along with special cables and connectors. I am asking for something that *I* can use from home without anything more than my computer and a web browser. I want to at least be "in the know" about things that may need to be done to my vehicle as well as be able to have a constructive conversation with the service folk at the dealership.
Would a OBD2 reader be sufficient? They can read the codes thrown by the on-board diagnostics system, but do not tie the codes to TSBs.

There are the usual plug-in devices, or here's a wireless type (after you attach a transmitter to the port). I have no experience with the wireless one, but thought it may be of interest.

http://www.ot-2.com/overview.html
__________________
2011 GC OL, Natural Green/Frost, QL, ORGII, 430N, Pano, GY WSA
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2890
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Well, it looks like I have a good dealer. I called yesterday to set up an appointment for Monday to have the oil changed (have a free coupon) and see about getting the 5.7L driveability TSB done. I started by telling him I was having shifting and A/C issues then I mentioned there was a TSB that addresses the issue. I then asked to have the Intermittent No Start TSB done since I had the problem the first week of ownership. Before I could complete my sentence he said, "I'll just put down to update ALL modules and perform all relevant TSB's". I was talking to the service manager (small shop, the service writers had left for the day) and I wasn't shy about telling him how much I appreciated the proactive approach. I said if he needed to put down a symptom for each so they got reimbursed I had no problem signing that work order.

Overall it was exactly the response I was hoping for. Of course we'll see what gets done on Monday but I don't think I'm going to have any issues.

BTW, for those in Central Florida it's Hurley Chrysler Jeep Dodge in DeLand.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,282
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2835
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee View Post
Darth,

A TSB isn't a recall, so it doesn't apply to every vehicle within a range. That's why you can't just search by VIN.

TSB stands for "Technical Service Bulletin" and is just that -- a Bulletin. It's basically Chrysler telling their dealers "Hey, we've seen a bunch of vehicles with problem <x>. If you get vehicles like that, we recommend you do <y>."

So, it only applies to vehicles which have certain problems. If you don't have the problem, even if your vehicle is within the VIN range, the TSB isn't relevant.

B
Folks need to remember this.

You don't go looking through the sheaf of TSBs for what potentially COULD be wrong. You ignore them unless you have a particular issue, then see if there's a TSB that applies. Example: if your A/C has a high pitched whistle, you look and see if there's one that applies to your vehicle (like the new one). If there's no whistle, there's no problem. No reason to look them over.


I'm about to contact my dealer this next week to have the new A/C TSB applied because the problem exists. There's other TSBs that could theoretically "apply" to my vehicle, but since it doesn't demonstrate the symptoms, there's zero reason to even ask about them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2890
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant View Post
Folks need to remember this.

You don't go looking through the sheaf of TSBs for what potentially COULD be wrong. You ignore them unless you have a particular issue, then see if there's a TSB that applies. Example: if your A/C has a high pitched whistle, you look and see if there's one that applies to your vehicle (like the new one). If there's no whistle, there's no problem. No reason to look them over.


I'm about to contact my dealer this next week to have the new A/C TSB applied because the problem exists. There's other TSBs that could theoretically "apply" to my vehicle, but since it doesn't demonstrate the symptoms, there's zero reason to even ask about them.
In principle I agree but I'm talking about software updates and as such I want all of them.

A good example of that is the 4WD error TSB that most here have never seen. If you read the body of the TSB you see that its a bug in the code that will disable your truck at the worst time, when you are using 4WD. I want that new code BEFORE I get stranded in soft sand and the truck goes into 2WD limp mode.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 3062
jp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

All vehicles should get the software TSB's done. Even if you don't have or notice the symtoms. If the programing has a glitch in it it will have the glitch on all vehicles its installed on. When I took mine in I asked for one of the upgrades to be done and they did them all without asking.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2890
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
Well, it looks like I have a good dealer. I called yesterday to set up an appointment for Monday to have the oil changed (have a free coupon) and see about getting the 5.7L driveability TSB done. I started by telling him I was having shifting and A/C issues then I mentioned there was a TSB that addresses the issue. I then asked to have the Intermittent No Start TSB done since I had the problem the first week of ownership. Before I could complete my sentence he said, "I'll just put down to update ALL modules and perform all relevant TSB's". I was talking to the service manager (small shop, the service writers had left for the day) and I wasn't shy about telling him how much I appreciated the proactive approach. I said if he needed to put down a symptom for each so they got reimbursed I had no problem signing that work order.

Overall it was exactly the response I was hoping for. Of course we'll see what gets done on Monday but I don't think I'm going to have any issues.

BTW, for those in Central Florida it's Hurley Chrysler Jeep Dodge in DeLand.

Update: I showed up for service this morning and the service writer pulled the "There's nothing in the system for your VIN" at which point it was all I could do to not go ballistic. She did enter all 4 TSB requests into the work order and the car is in the back now being serviced. I'll update this again once I see if they actually did the updates. I suppose it's not the dealers fault, Chrysler should put the software updates in the system and do them without question, it would make for a lot better customer experience and cost them less in the long run.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:11 PM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 76 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 1160192
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
Update: I showed up for service this morning and the service writer pulled the "There's nothing in the system for your VIN" at which point it was all I could do to not go ballistic. She did enter all 4 TSB requests into the work order and the car is in the back now being serviced. I'll update this again once I see if they actually did the updates. I suppose it's not the dealers fault, Chrysler should put the software updates in the system and do them without question, it would make for a lot better customer experience and cost them less in the long run.
Maybe Chrysler did the TSB updates already that were out before your Jeep was built and so those wouldn't even be listed as applying to your VIN. Just guessing, maybe not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2890
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
Well, it looks like I have a good dealer. I called yesterday to set up an appointment for Monday to have the oil changed (have a free coupon) and see about getting the 5.7L driveability TSB done. I started by telling him I was having shifting and A/C issues then I mentioned there was a TSB that addresses the issue. I then asked to have the Intermittent No Start TSB done since I had the problem the first week of ownership. Before I could complete my sentence he said, "I'll just put down to update ALL modules and perform all relevant TSB's". I was talking to the service manager (small shop, the service writers had left for the day) and I wasn't shy about telling him how much I appreciated the proactive approach. I said if he needed to put down a symptom for each so they got reimbursed I had no problem signing that work order.

Overall it was exactly the response I was hoping for. Of course we'll see what gets done on Monday but I don't think I'm going to have any issues.

BTW, for those in Central Florida it's Hurley Chrysler Jeep Dodge in DeLand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
Update: I showed up for service this morning and the service writer pulled the "There's nothing in the system for your VIN" at which point it was all I could do to not go ballistic. She did enter all 4 TSB requests into the work order and the car is in the back now being serviced. I'll update this again once I see if they actually did the updates. I suppose it's not the dealers fault, Chrysler should put the software updates in the system and do them without question, it would make for a lot better customer experience and cost them less in the long run.
Final update: The Service Writer put in 4 lines in the work order, each one basically saying "Customer request TSB xx-xxx-xx be applied to resolve observed issues". The tech completed all 4 I wanted and they had the vehicle back to me within an hour. It's not the service writer's fault, they simply do what they are told. If I were the service manager I would institute a policy that any vehicle brought in for service should be plugged into the WiTech system and any software module that was out of date, pretty much indicating there should be a TSB to update it, be updated and recorded on the service order. That way the customer gets the latest software and the dealer can generate the revenue needed to support this practice by performing the TSB, which comes with warranty hours from Chrysler Corp. Of course Chrysler would catch on and probably have my head since I'm 100% sure the reason they don't simply update every vehicle is to save the ~0.2 hrs dealers get for applying them.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2890
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to bring up TSBs at the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
Maybe Chrysler did the TSB updates already that were out before your Jeep was built and so those wouldn't even be listed as applying to your VIN. Just guessing, maybe not.
No, there is no way the latest TSB's were applied, there's a 5 month gap between my build date and the TSB. I took delivery ~28 days after the vehicle was built and since the vehicle has never been back to any dealer it's impossible for them to be applied.

The system they look at only shows critical updates, a.k.a. recalls. You can get the same thing by going onto the Jeep site in the customers section and clicking on the section that looks up recalls based on your VIN. Only the WiTech system they plug into your car can make the relation between an available software update and your actual vehicle.
__________________

__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After two TSBs today, I now love my Grand Cherokee vikingdave Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 24 07-16-2011 03:53 AM
List of TSBs gonzanc Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 3 03-29-2011 09:25 AM
Technical Service Bulletin's (TSBs) Angel Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 3 01-22-2011 02:34 PM
When to bring up trade-in when ordering a WK2? rb3wreath Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 09-18-2010 09:47 PM
Bring On the Flaming GCL06 Visual Modifications 48 01-30-2010 09:17 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community