I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 488
acehiggy is on a distinguished road
I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

I wish Chrysler would recall the oil cooler assemblies for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar V6 engine. I think they changed the design in 2014 so it only affects 2011-2013 models that have this engine.

What happens is the plastic parts inside where the oil filter sits breaks and essentially bypasses the oil filter altogether. There is a nipple plastic part with a spring that sits inside the tube the oil filter goes on. After a few oil changes, this plastic part becomes brittle and breaks. Mine flew off a couple of minutes after I removed the oil filter and flew across the garage floor. Had I not been close by, I wouldn't have known it broke and flew off! Chrysler changed the design a couple years later to address the problem and made the oil filter different to contain these parts, so it gets replaced with each oil filter change.

If you don't do your own oil change, you could have this issue and not even know about it! You better check because if this has broken and not in place, you are essentially driving your vehicle without an oil filter which will reduce the life of your engine.

You can not buy this little plastic part at the dealer and there are not any after market parts either. The dealer will sell you a new oil cooler assembly for about $250 and another $300-$500 in labor to change it for a total of about $750. It will break again in another few years because it is the same design part!

Failure of this part is not life threatening nor will it cause your vehicle to catch on fire. However, it will shorten the life of your engine and reduce the return on your asset. We all need to tell Chrysler this needs to be fixed and they need to issue a recall to do so!

How many owners have this problem? Like I said above, a good many of you probably have this issue and don't even know you have it. So please do yourself a favor and check it, or have the person changing your oil filter let you look at it when the filter is off.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM
stephen41987's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1328
stephen41987 is on a distinguished road
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehiggy View Post
I wish Chrysler would recall the oil cooler assemblies for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar V6 engine. I think they changed the design in 2014 so it only affects 2011-2013 models that have this engine.

What happens is the plastic parts inside where the oil filter sits breaks and essentially bypasses the oil filter altogether. There is a nipple plastic part with a spring that sits inside the tube the oil filter goes on. After a few oil changes, this plastic part becomes brittle and breaks. Mine flew off a couple of minutes after I removed the oil filter and flew across the garage floor. Had I not been close by, I wouldn't have known it broke and flew off! Chrysler changed the design a couple years later to address the problem and made the oil filter different to contain these parts, so it gets replaced with each oil filter change.

If you don't do your own oil change, you could have this issue and not even know about it! You better check because if this has broken and not in place, you are essentially driving your vehicle without an oil filter which will reduce the life of your engine.

You can not buy this little plastic part at the dealer and there are not any after market parts either. The dealer will sell you a new oil cooler assembly for about $250 and another $300-$500 in labor to change it for a total of about $750. It will break again in another few years because it is the same design part!

Failure of this part is not life threatening nor will it cause your vehicle to catch on fire. However, it will shorten the life of your engine and reduce the return on your asset. We all need to tell Chrysler this needs to be fixed and they need to issue a recall to do so!

How many owners have this problem? Like I said above, a good many of you probably have this issue and don't even know you have it. So please do yourself a favor and check it, or have the person changing your oil filter let you look at it when the filter is off.
I have a 2013 Grand Cherokee V6 Overland. Do you have pictures of what you are talking about? I can say as I'm at 67K miles that I haven't had any doubt in my mind that parts would fail when I change my oil. I've done all my changes. I'll have a look at it next oil change here in about 9K miles. I'd have to look at my service log but I think I've done now least 7 oil changes so far. I always inspect inside that area. I've never seen any issues. Is it maybe the filter you are using? I've always used the Wix version of filter and never had any problems. Sorry I can't be much help but I'll be interested to see if any one else has had the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 488
acehiggy is on a distinguished road
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen41987 View Post
I have a 2013 Grand Cherokee V6 Overland. Do you have pictures of what you are talking about? I can say as I'm at 67K miles that I haven't had any doubt in my mind that parts would fail when I change my oil. I've done all my changes. I'll have a look at it next oil change here in about 9K miles. I'd have to look at my service log but I think I've done now least 7 oil changes so far. I always inspect inside that area. I've never seen any issues. Is it maybe the filter you are using? I've always used the Wix version of filter and never had any problems. Sorry I can't be much help but I'll be interested to see if any one else has had the issue.
Oil Filter Assembly - Plastic parts broken (2011 GC 3.6L) See this thread that has pictures of the items I am talking about. The filter does not matter since this part is not on the filter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1068
WhoKnowsWhatUser is on a distinguished road
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Thanks for the info on the other thread. If I understand it correctly, it sounds like the center bypass valve (the cheap plastic piece that the filter goes over and breaks) is removable and replaceable?

If we can't get a recall, can we at least get this part to be manufactured and sold separately (hopefully under $20)? I would like to buy one and have it ready on the shelf, along with a spare filter cap (which *is* sold separately for under $15). I don't want a bad oil change to park my vehicle for several days while I wait for parts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1914
damazeen is on a distinguished road
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Well, my oil cooler just bit the dust as well. 3.6L @ 83,000+ KMS. Seems like a design flaw and a recall should be in order. Perhaps if more people voice their concern Jeep might consider it. Definitely sucks, though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2016, 06:53 PM
padgett's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 82375
padgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Another reason for a Chrysler lifetime warranty. Of course all of my changes are done by the dealer so might break & I'd never know.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 472
Thanks: 7
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 2850
Nonstop is on a distinguished road
I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

An internal engine part from the oiling system that snaps into pieces inevitably. Auto manufacturers are in business to stay in business but...after discovering this it's no longer a design flaw it is sabotage.

After 30 years and nearly the same number of beaters and a handful of new jeeps I'm through being a prison bitch to a Jeep out of warranty or the dealers morons while in one for that matter.

I wouldn't know where to go besides news organizations or my state attourney general. Florida loves this stuff. It's possible we could get this fixed if it's as common as it seems. Anyone have some spare time and knowledge?
Mistakes are one thing deceit and avoidance are another.
__________________
2011 X 3.6
2000 WJ 5.2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1965
thall is on a distinguished road
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Oil Filter Assembly - Plastic parts broken (2011 GC 3.6L)

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Soluti...vert-amazon-20

traded my 2011, will never know if it failed... dealer always changed the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 907
Thanks: 93
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 3311
Roki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnowsWhatUser View Post
I would like to buy one and have it ready on the shelf, along with a spare filter cap (which *is* sold separately for under $15). I don't want a bad oil change to park my vehicle for several days while I wait for parts.

Hey, I have 2014 so the oil filter has been redesign but having a spare filter cap is a good idea. Can anybody has a part number and/or link?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2014 Jeep GC, V6, Black/Indigo with Adv Tech Package and ORAII
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 57
Thanks: 12
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 16281
wk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond reputewk2driver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Dorman makes the product, but I just checked their website and they do not list this part for 2014. I didn't think the oil filter cap changed? 917-050 is the part number for 2011-2013:

Dorman Products - 917-050
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 254
davea180 is on a distinguished road
Re: I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

Starting in 2014 the bypass valve is part of the filter design.

I just bought this part on Amazon for $22. Good to have one around when it does break.
__________________
2011 JGC Laredo 3.6 Black Forest Green

2013 JGC Limited 3.6 Brilliant Black
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 472
Thanks: 7
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 2850
Nonstop is on a distinguished road
I wish they would recall the oil cooler for the Pentastar 2011-2013 models

This should garner more attention than it does. There's no telling how many oil changes my jeep went through prior to noticing this inherent flaw. How much money did I waste, how much extra damage was done, how many filters went to the landfill unused or oil went to recycler, and how much of it was avoidable by simply training techs, after they knew. Why shouldn't FCA be held accountable for the environmental impact/waste it's quantifiable.

Absolutely mistakes happen, not fixing the mistake is a choice. I hold people accountable for choices not mistakes.
FCA and most companies quantify the value of human life as they do the cost of failure. They are scum and it's clear that anyone trying to do right anyone that cares is being shat on by everyone that does that math. Stop buying everything because that's who does that math.
__________________
2011 X 3.6
2000 WJ 5.2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2011, 2013

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.6L E85 Models vs Non - E85 models Matty.c Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 12 01-21-2015 01:09 AM
Does anyone wish that the SRT would be more special? mpatel1080 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 36 04-02-2013 03:49 AM
17" WK rims on 2011 WK2 Laredo - will they they fit? Gerrrr Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 0 09-02-2012 03:32 AM
Adding an Aux trans cooler/oil cooler/ps cooler Sqall12001 Grand Cherokee - WJ 7 05-04-2012 04:24 PM
I wish they would put a V8 in them again cheapjeep Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK 5 11-21-2010 10:24 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.