Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #301  
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 66
Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 275
Racer83L has a reputation beyond reputeRacer83L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

I cannot tell if my transmission is rougher, or if Im feeling for it way too much after reading these threads, I have 1,200 miles on a 3/10/2014 build.. when slowing I can just barely feel it downshift from 3 - 2 and sometimes from 2 -1. I did notice and can replicate 100% of the time, if im moving 2 MPH and in second gear if I give it throttle it jerks slightly, But I think Im actually hitting the throttle just as its shifting into first.

Other than that, all of the upshifts are smooth as butter. My wife has never said anything and its her DD. I only drive it on weekends.
__________________

__________________
Yes I have a Jeep.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM
1quick1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 455
1quick1 is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullee01 View Post
How does it shift when your vehicle is cold?
Just had the opportunity to test this morning. In the morning going to work is always when it first shifts the hardest until it warms up. Today is was MUCH smoother. It always would shift extremely rough from 1st to 2nd when I first pull out of the driveway but today it was much smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
I cannot tell if my transmission is rougher, or if Im feeling for it way too much after reading these threads, I have 1,200 miles on a 3/10/2014 build.. when slowing I can just barely feel it downshift from 3 - 2 and sometimes from 2 -1. I did notice and can replicate 100% of the time, if im moving 2 MPH and in second gear if I give it throttle it jerks slightly, But I think Im actually hitting the throttle just as its shifting into first.

Other than that, all of the upshifts are smooth as butter. My wife has never said anything and its her DD. I only drive it on weekends.
You likely had a previous TSB so yours isn't as bad as someone without the TSB from December. However, there is a new one from 4/16 as well. If you're running smooth now I'm sure it'll help a little but not as extreme as some of us that are a couple TSB's behind.
__________________

__________________
2014 JKWW
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Impy5's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1587
Impy5 is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Just had the TSB done from 4/16 and it shifts like a different car now. Much smoother, it's still a little jerky downshifting but much more responsive coming from a dead stop and up shifting.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
Current:2014 WK2 Limited-Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Past: 2008 WK Laredo X-Light Graystone Pearl
2002 WJ Laredo- Inferno Red
1998 ZJ Laredo SE- Chargold
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 AM
YO-EL's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phila PA suburbs
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1051
YO-EL will become famous soon enough
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Is there a way to tell which version transmission update is currently in the car?
__________________

2011- 2010 Englishtown (NJ) 11.50 Index CHAMPION! 2012-2011-2010 Corvette Challenge Pro 11.50 Index CHAMPION!
2012 Modern Muscle CHAMPION!
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Impy5's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1587
Impy5 is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Pretty sure the only way to check is through the dealer but I could be wrong...


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
Current:2014 WK2 Limited-Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Past: 2008 WK Laredo X-Light Graystone Pearl
2002 WJ Laredo- Inferno Red
1998 ZJ Laredo SE- Chargold
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 AM
1quick1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 455
1quick1 is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impy5 View Post
Just had the TSB done from 4/16 and it shifts like a different car now. Much smoother, it's still a little jerky downshifting but much more responsive coming from a dead stop and up shifting.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
This is one of the biggest things I noticed. I noticed because prior it was one of my biggest gryps. It was a fight to get the car to accelerate and when it did it would violently downshift like I'm trying to drag race someone when I simply wanted to speed up a bit to make a light or pull out in traffic.
__________________
2014 JKWW
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Orchard park, NY
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 340
2014BB is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Can someone post what the new TSB from 4/16 is?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 346
Shaakra is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014BB View Post
Can someone post what the new TSB from 4/16 is?
The 4/16 TSB does not apply to our 2014 WK2's. It is meant for the 2013 grand Cherokees.
Below is the link:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2101414.pdf


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 AM
SnoFire's Avatar
The Negotiator
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,872
Thanks: 55
Thanked 135 Times in 114 Posts
Rep Power: 390036
SnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

There is another TSB that just came out today but that one is for the SRT8
__________________
2014 GC Limited V6 LuxII/Tow/RA4 Max Steel/Blk Michelin LTX M/S2

Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM
1quick1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 455
1quick1 is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaakra View Post
The 4/16 TSB does not apply to our 2014 WK2's. It is meant for the 2013 grand Cherokees.
Below is the link:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2101414.pdf


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
I've been referencing the wrong date. I just checked the TSB I printed out and it's 4/8 for 2014 WK's.

On that note I'm a few days in now on this and I can say for 100% certainty this Jeep shifts MUCH better. It basically resolved my biggest moan with this vehicle.
__________________
2014 JKWW
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 04-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 457
recoil1911 is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
I've been referencing the wrong date. I just checked the TSB I printed out and it's 4/8 for 2014 WK's.

On that note I'm a few days in now on this and I can say for 100% certainty this Jeep shifts MUCH better. It basically resolved my biggest moan with this vehicle.
The 4/8 TSB is not a transmission firmware update but a meticulous procedure to clear and re-learn the shifting behavior. How long did it take for the dealership to do this?

I am going into tomorrow to address the transmission shifting. I've had all firmware updates except the December release.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM
1quick1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 455
1quick1 is on a distinguished road
Re: If your 8spd trans is rough, put your hand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil1911 View Post
The 4/8 TSB is not a transmission firmware update but a meticulous procedure to clear and re-learn the shifting behavior. How long did it take for the dealership to do this?

I am going into tomorrow to address the transmission shifting. I've had all firmware updates except the December release.
Oil change and tranny flash was 1 hour total.
__________________

__________________
2014 JKWW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A favor to ask of anyone with the 8spd transmission nj newb Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 23 07-31-2013 08:59 PM
V6 WK 5spd vs V6 WK2 8spd canis Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 02-28-2013 11:02 PM
2014 CRD/8spd, early 2013 release! Jamesla30 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 26 05-06-2012 06:07 PM
Right Hand GC SRT8 ? ENFORCER Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 12 08-01-2011 08:54 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community