Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 04-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 178
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1525
JohnC is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

It's not an issue for me. I would just skip it. The only problem my wife has is that she rests her hand on the shifter and it slips into neutral while she's driving. I never have had it happen though. I think it's due to a 14" height difference between us. They should add a lockout on neutral as well. Using the button shouldn't be an issue

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 04-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 178
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1525
JohnC is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post
You won't get a new shifter... just a software fix.

I didn't "suffer" with my 14 and I'm not "suffering" with my 16.
I didn't direct this at you. It was for John 3:16. Dint think that this was big enough deal to say thank god I waited. I've been very happy with my '14. Nothing in the '16 would require me to update it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-23-2016, 10:48 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10613
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I didn't direct this at you. It was for John 3:16. Dint think that this was big enough deal to say thank god I waited. I've been very happy with my '14. Nothing in the '16 would require me to update it.
But I directed my reply to you. It was to correct what you said about maybe getting the 16 shifter.

For the record, I was happy with my 14 shifter and now with my 16 shifter.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Coast of Mass
Posts: 116
Thanks: 126
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 1781
NorthstarSRX is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL View Post
Boy, I'm glad I'm not an idiot and pay attention to what gear I'm in before hitting the gas or stepping out of my car.
You guys have it backward. The folks with the gear shift problem are actually more intelligent, able to multitask, and are safer drivers. You see many of us have been driving for decades. In order to pass our drivers test we had to execute fast K turns on busy two lane roads, stop with our front wheels exactly on the painted stop line, and parallel park. In all these maneuvers we were taught NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD AND SURROUNDINGS. So we developed a skill in using our sense of feel to manage the car while our eyes paid attention to the exterior. Worked with 3 on the tree, 4 speed and non push button automatics. Push buttons disappeared after a few years on the market. For years we drove, parked and did everything without having to take our eyes off the exterior. It is actually a intuitive skill that allows for much safer driving. I guarantee you that any of us can get a vehicle out of a dangerous situation faster than those of you who have to look inside the vehicle, think and then act.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthstarSRX For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 04-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 1169
barak is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

I agree with Northstar , I have been a professional driver for almost 30 years, putting more miles on in a day than the normal person in a month. I have only had one accident in this time that I could not prevent although I did manage to reduce the impact. The guy was doing about 160 km/hr in a 90 km/hr zone and rear ended me , but I hit the gas to reduce the impact which prevented a much worse accident.

As for the shifter I only had it happen to me once where I put it in park, was about to remove my hand , and it 'jumped' back into reverse. I still had my foot on the brake , so it wasn't a major issue, but if I was not the way I am , it would have been very easy for the jeep to start backing up. Because driving is second nature to me, I pay attention to everything around me at all times. There is not a day goes by that there isn't at least one very close call because of all the idiots out there that do not know how to drive, whether its wandering from lane to lane , not knowing the difference between a stop sign and a yield , running lights , all kinds of different reasons , but I always 'see' it before it can get to the point where it becomes an accident and someone gets hurt or damage occurs.
__________________
2014 Summit 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2016, 05:53 PM
Bigskiddy's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney - Australia
Posts: 654
Thanks: 99
Thanked 114 Times in 84 Posts
Rep Power: 2008
Bigskiddy is on a distinguished road
Nice stories...zzzz...zzzz.
You need to be aware of what is going on in the car as well. Full situational awareness.

The car has a park brake. Doesn't everyone engage that before releasing their foot off the brake?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigskiddy For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 04-23-2016, 06:34 PM
SilverBillet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,951
Thanks: 2
Thanked 440 Times in 300 Posts
Rep Power: 32551
SilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthstarSRX View Post
You guys have it backward. The folks with the gear shift problem are actually more intelligent, able to multitask, and are safer drivers. You see many of us have been driving for decades. In order to pass our drivers test we had to execute fast K turns on busy two lane roads, stop with our front wheels exactly on the painted stop line, and parallel park. In all these maneuvers we were taught NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD AND SURROUNDINGS. So we developed a skill in using our sense of feel to manage the car while our eyes paid attention to the exterior. Worked with 3 on the tree, 4 speed and non push button automatics. Push buttons disappeared after a few years on the market. For years we drove, parked and did everything without having to take our eyes off the exterior. It is actually a intuitive skill that allows for much safer driving. I guarantee you that any of us can get a vehicle out of a dangerous situation faster than those of you who have to look inside the vehicle, think and then act.

You're kidding right? A multitask-er who can't glance down at the shifter to see what gear they're in before proceeding and you call yourself a safe driver? Well that's a contradiction.
I guess you're going by the old quote ..the older the wiser.
In this case I believe you're delusional.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverBillet For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 04-23-2016, 06:41 PM
67HR's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Albany Western Australia
Posts: 305
Thanks: 131
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 1078
67HR is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
It's not an issue for me. I would just skip it. The only problem my wife has is that she rests her hand on the shifter and it slips into neutral while she's driving. I never have had it happen though. I think it's due to a 14" height difference between us. They should add a lockout on neutral as well. Using the button shouldn't be an issue
I too rest my left hand on the shifter (RHD for our US cousins) it's just a natural place to rest it when you don't need it to reach the indicator stalk. I've not bumped it into neutral but it's very handy to grab sports mode when U need it.
The dash has the gear selector on display if you need it. I never look down to the selector to see which gear i'm in.
__________________
Other Rides:
1967 Holden HR Ute (second owner)
2012 Gen5 Subaru Liberty Sports Premium
Classified R.E.D. (Retired & Extremely Disinterested)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Da Jeeper's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 625
Thanks: 87
Thanked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Rep Power: 2416
Da Jeeper is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

I sure hope they let me decline the damn fix..I like the way it shifts... fast and smooth... also the last time they flashed something in my KL, they ruined it and cost me an arm and leg to get out of the flipping thing
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Coast of Mass
Posts: 116
Thanks: 126
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 1781
NorthstarSRX is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL View Post
You're kidding right? A multitask-er who can't glance down at the shifter to see what gear they're in before proceeding and you call yourself a safe driver? Well that's a contradiction.
I guess you're going by the old quote ..the older the wiser.
In this case I believe you're delusional.
Go back and read the post. I am not talking about parking the car to get out and leave it. I am talking about potential emergency moves going back and forth from drive to reverse (K turn) and situations like attaching a trailer where you have to get in and out several times to accomplish the task.

After not having to look at the position of the gear shifter for decades of driving and never having a problem why should a driver now be required to take additional steps to accomplish the same goal? Seriously, what is the advantage of this gear selector over the selector it replaced. Please list them. Obviously Jeep didn't seen a significant one as they went back to the traditional mode.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 PM
SilverBillet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,951
Thanks: 2
Thanked 440 Times in 300 Posts
Rep Power: 32551
SilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthstarSRX View Post
Go back and read the post. I am not talking about parking the car to get out and leave it. I am talking about potential emergency moves going back and forth from drive to reverse (K turn) and situations like attaching a trailer where you have to get in and out several times to accomplish the task.

After not having to look at the position of the gear shifter for decades of driving and never having a problem why should a driver now be required to take additional steps to accomplish the same goal? Seriously, what is the advantage of this gear selector over the selector it replaced. Please list them. Obviously Jeep didn't seen a significant one as they went back to the traditional mode.
I never said there was anything beneficial about it. Just that if there was any doubt about what gear I was in I could glance down and verify just like any other car.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Northern MN.
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 1145
pineluretom has a reputation beyond reputepineluretom has a reputation beyond reputepineluretom has a reputation beyond reputepineluretom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep recalling 1.1 million shifters

You know they are just going to Micky Mouse the thing. Louder alarm, software ding, etc. If they are not going to change the shifter to the new one I'm opting out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jeep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep Recall 1.4 Million Vehicles Due to Hack Snipe315 Audio/Visual/Navigation 17 07-25-2015 10:55 PM
Jeep® Vehicle Sales Exceed 1 Million Units Milous Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat news, spy shots and more! 0 01-06-2015 02:07 PM
Can Jeep sell 1 million vehicles this year???? Scottina06 Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat news, spy shots and more! 42 05-19-2014 03:41 PM
According to CNN, Chrysler is recalling 2.7M jeeps marosenb Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 15 06-20-2013 10:03 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.