Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #97  
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1405
tibbs14 is on a distinguished road
So basically Chrysler will buy you out if the vehicle is so old repair cannot be justified? Would they take possession of the vehicle or would you get a payout and keep the vehicle? This would probablynever happen but i am just curious.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
ColdCase's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 26415
ColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lifetime warranty

Just saying that when you put enough miles on the vehicle that is worth less than the repair, say a $4000 transmission, then the coverage ends. Not sure if a 200,000 mile Laredo would be worth less than $4000 ten years from now.... or what a transmission may cost. Its a warranty for the serviceable life of the car, not for as long as you own it.

And yes, I was mistaken by the inspection requirement for this warranty, it is indeed every 5 year anniversary date +/- 60 days...

And they do essentially buy you out, but I don't recall off hand if the warranty purchase price is refunded or what. I think its spelled out in the contract fine print.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 08-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 465
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1910
HEMInator is on a distinguished road
Re: Lifetime warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Just saying that when you put enough miles on the vehicle that is worth less than the repair, say a $4000 transmission, then the coverage ends. Not sure if a 200,000 mile Laredo would be worth less than $4000 ten years from now.... or what a transmission may cost. Its a warranty for the serviceable life of the car, not for as long as you own it.

And yes, I was mistaken by the inspection requirement for this warranty, it is indeed every 5 year anniversary date +/- 60 days...

And they do essentially buy you out, but I don't recall off hand if the warranty purchase price is refunded or what. I think its spelled out in the contract fine print.
Ok that's cool just wanted to make sure since I didn't see a 50K requirement anywhere.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 08-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 465
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1910
HEMInator is on a distinguished road
Re: Lifetime warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbs14 View Post
So basically Chrysler will buy you out if the vehicle is so old repair cannot be justified? Would they take possession of the vehicle or would you get a payout and keep the vehicle? This would probablynever happen but i am just curious.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
If 10 years from now you have 250,000 miles on your vehicle and your transmission gives out and the cost to repair is say, $5K and your NADA retail value is $2500, then Chrysler will cut you a check for $2500, you keep your car, and they cancel the warranty since the NADA retail value of your vehicle is less than the cost of the repair but you keep the car. The warranty states that they use the NADA retail (not trade-in or anything) value when making this determination. The bottom line is that they make money with these warranties making the assumption that most people will trade their car in 2-3 years later which a lot do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,848
Thanks: 1
Thanked 47 Times in 42 Posts
Rep Power: 3853
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lifetime warranty

(Reposted from other thread)

I just bought the $100 deductible Lifetime Maximum Care for $2,000 at www.chryslerfactoryplans.com. I have a 4x4 otherwise I think it would be $150 cheaper for the 4x2. Make sure you select "5/100 Powertrain Warranty" for 2011 WK2 and NOT just the "3/36 Factory Warranty Only" which is the default selection on that website.

I am not a buyer of extended warranties in general (bought one on my first Grand Cherokee --- first model year of GC's back in the 90's that paid off, but that was the only time). However, seeing the vehicles are now more complicated AND in Florida (I live in Florida) the Lifetime Maximum Care IS TRANSFERABLE for a $40 fee (will really help on resale I hope) (Florida is $40 and North Carolina is $50...the other 48 states are out of luck since the Lifetime is NOT transferable).

What you all think???
__________________
•|||||||• 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. •|||||||•
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 AM
J13ntv's Avatar
Black is Back.. Coming in 2010, the All new GC! :D

My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,272
Thanks: 67
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 359282
J13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lifetime warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan JGC View Post
(Reposted from other thread)

I just bought the $100 deductible Lifetime Maximum Care for $2,000 at www.chryslerfactoryplans.com. I have a 4x4 otherwise I think it would be $150 cheaper for the 4x2. Make sure you select "5/100 Powertrain Warranty" for 2011 WK2 and NOT just the "3/36 Factory Warranty Only" which is the default selection on that website.

I am not a buyer of extended warranties in general (bought one on my first Grand Cherokee --- first model year of GC's back in the 90's that paid off, but that was the only time). However, seeing the vehicles are now more complicated AND in Florida (I live in Florida) the Lifetime Maximum Care IS TRANSFERABLE for a $40 fee (will really help on resale I hope) (Florida is $40 and North Carolina is $50...the other 48 states are out of luck since the Lifetime is NOT transferable).

What you all think???
If your asking if you should buy the lifetime, the answer would be *its up to you*, IMO I would, especially if I lived in FL and can transfer it, no point in getting a 7yr when you can buy the lifetime and transfer the warranty one time it would help immensely with resale.

Yes its 2,000 up front, but if you have a few small failures after the factory warranty is up, it will definitely pay for itself. If not, you'll be able to resell the car for more with the lifetime warranty.
__________________
Jorde

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- 5.7L, Black




Current Mods- Corsa Catback exhaust / JL Stealthbox / Bwoody 4" intake / Sharkfin Antenna / Chrome Tubular side steps / Chrome Fog Bezels / F/R Slush Mats / Cargo Mat / Illuminated Door Sill Guards / Bright Pedals / Nanofusion Complete Clear Bra Protection / Headlight Protection / Front Tints / Tinted Tails
Future Mods-- Tuner?

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 PM
kaflyboy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1721
kaflyboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan JGC View Post
(Reposted from other thread)

). However, seeing the vehicles are now more complicated AND in Florida (I live in Florida) the Lifetime Maximum Care IS TRANSFERABLE for a $40 fee (will really help on resale I hope) (Florida is $40 and North Carolina is $50...the other 48 states are out of luck since the Lifetime is NOT transferable).

What you all think???
Hey Dan or whoever posted this thread. I too have the lifetime warranty and heard it is transferable in NC (where I live). After reviewing my paperwork and looking around on the warranty site, I was unable to find where the transfer in NC is applicable.
Can someone send me that info If its available?
__________________
Mineral Grey Summit with Saddle
Date ordered: 02/01/2011
Arrived in Garage 04/11/2011
Current status: Delivered
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM
J13ntv's Avatar
Black is Back.. Coming in 2010, the All new GC! :D

My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,272
Thanks: 67
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 359282
J13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond reputeJ13ntv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lifetime warranty

From service contracts website... In most, but not all, cases remaining coverage may be transferred to a second owner of the vehicle at the time of vehicle sale. A $50 option transfer fee will be applied (in most states). Lifetime coverage is not transferable unless required by state law. Your personalized plan provisions describe the transfer rules applicable to your contract and the transfer fee in your state.


Seems like it should be in your contract... If not did you buy it out of NC?
__________________

__________________
Jorde

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- 5.7L, Black




Current Mods- Corsa Catback exhaust / JL Stealthbox / Bwoody 4" intake / Sharkfin Antenna / Chrome Tubular side steps / Chrome Fog Bezels / F/R Slush Mats / Cargo Mat / Illuminated Door Sill Guards / Bright Pedals / Nanofusion Complete Clear Bra Protection / Headlight Protection / Front Tints / Tinted Tails
Future Mods-- Tuner?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lifetime extended warranty as second owner? Keirik Grand Cherokee - WK 20 02-29-2012 03:49 PM
Anybody ever gotten to use their lifetime powertrain warranty? thex2 Grand Cherokee - WK 1 02-16-2011 07:53 PM
Flashtech lifetime warranty HIDS! steve@flashtech Visual Modifications 1 09-06-2010 07:17 PM
Tranny Lines covered by Lifetime Warranty? 07GrandCherokee Grand Cherokee - WK 11 02-01-2010 11:38 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community