Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1052
johnsavarese is on a distinguished road
Missing Numbers on speedo

Tried searching on this subject but couldn't find anything. Has anyone else experienced this? Driving down the road and when I switch the speedometer from numbers on display to the traditional speedometer display, it is blank.
__________________

__________________
John Savarese
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, Hemi
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 429
recoil1911 is on a distinguished road
Yes. When I test drove and toggled over from the digital to analog display it was missing all of the numbers. When I got back to the dealership it magically started working again after the JCG was restarted. I chalked it up to a glitch and ended up buying the vehicle. I typically use the digital number read-out so I haven't noticed it since then.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 4
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Amarillo Texas
Posts: 278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 727
Baalic has a reputation beyond reputeBaalic has a reputation beyond reputeBaalic has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil1911 View Post
Yes. When I test drove and toggled over from the digital to analog display it was missing all of the numbers. When I got back to the dealership it magically started working again after the JCG was restarted. I chalked it up to a glitch and ended up buying the vehicle. I typically use the digital number read-out so I haven't noticed it since then.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 4
not noticed this myself but i wish the analog went by 10's instead of 20's.... wish they would fix that..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 AM
vnbWK2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 386
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1817
vnbWK2 is on a distinguished road
Glad I'm not the only one. This happened a couple of times in my Limited. The first time it happened while I was driving and while switching back and forth a couple of times from digital to analog. Magically reappeared a few minutes later. Second time it happened while I was parked listening to some music at my jobs parking garage. Switched back as forth and analog went blank. Restarted the jeep and it came back. Glitch.
__________________
2014 Limited 3.6L, Granite/Black

(O||||||||O)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 853 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927026
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Missing Numbers on speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnbWK2 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one. This happened a couple of times in my Limited. The first time it happened while I was driving and while switching back and forth a couple of times from digital to analog. Magically reappeared a few minutes later. Second time it happened while I was parked listening to some music at my jobs parking garage. Switched back as forth and analog went blank. Restarted the jeep and it came back. Glitch.
There is a Star Case on the cause of this... Your Service advisor can seach "Speedo (Speedometer) drop out"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1052
johnsavarese is on a distinguished road
Re: Missing Numbers on speedo

Thanks a lot for the Star case information. I appreciate it.

If anyone doesn't understand what I am talking about or if you want to see it, I've attached a picture. It's a little blurry cause I was trying to take it quickly, but you can see the numbers are missing from the speedometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedo.JPG (392.7 KB, 30 views)
__________________
John Savarese
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, Hemi
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 853 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927026
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsavarese View Post
Thanks a lot for the Star case information. I appreciate it.

If anyone doesn't understand what I am talking about or if you want to see it, I've attached a picture. It's a little blurry cause I was trying to take it quickly, but you can see the numbers are missing from the speedometer.
Yes that is exactly what happens with the one issue. They need to check a CAN Bus connector to see if that is the problem.... if that is not the issue, they will need to diagnose further.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM
vnbWK2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 386
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1817
vnbWK2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Missing Numbers on speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
Yes that is exactly what happens with the one issue. They need to check a CAN Bus connector to see if that is the problem.... if that is not the issue, they will need to diagnose further.
Thanks Willx. What would be involved in checking the CAN Bus connector? I don't know if I want them taking apart part of the dash. I can probably live with it.

Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (514.2 KB, 24 views)
__________________
2014 Limited 3.6L, Granite/Black

(O||||||||O)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 853 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927026
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Missing Numbers on speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnbWK2 View Post
Thanks Willx. What would be involved in checking the CAN Bus connector? I don't know if I want them taking apart part of the dash. I can probably live with it.

Here's a pic of mine.
First off you are clearly from Australia as you are driving the wrong way up....

Anyway, if this happens periodically, they really need to check it. This connector is pretty important and may cause other issues. If this happened once, I wouldn't worry but a CAN Bus connector with an issue can cause more serious issues. Kind of like a bad network cable on your computer, works ok some days, other days all hell breaks loose. It is on the right side of the Center consol stack. not hard to get at.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 PM
vnbWK2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 386
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1817
vnbWK2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post

First off you are clearly from Australia as you are driving the wrong way up....

Anyway, if this happens periodically, they really need to check it. This connector is pretty important and may cause other issues. If this happened once, I wouldn't worry but a CAN Bus connector with an issue can cause more serious issues. Kind of like a bad network cable on your computer, works ok some days, other days all hell breaks loose. It is on the right side of the Center consol stack. not hard to get at.
Lol thanks. Dont know why my iPhone pics always upload upside down. I'll mention the CAN Bus to my service dept when I make my first oil change appt.
__________________
2014 Limited 3.6L, Granite/Black

(O||||||||O)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 853 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927026
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Missing Numbers on speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnbWK2 View Post
Lol thanks. Dont know why my iPhone pics always upload upside down. I'll mention the CAN Bus to my service dept when I make my first oil change appt.
just mention "my speedo drops out" if they can't find it spell s-p-e-e-d-o-m-e-t-e-r for them
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speedo calibration? jerkylips Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 9 10-23-2013 03:04 PM
Speedo ragoodsp Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 1 08-07-2013 06:42 PM
Speedo Recal JF_Inferno Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 6 09-09-2011 04:55 PM
Two different speedo designs? bigpanda Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 08-14-2011 09:18 PM
WK/WH 07 speedo dial predator Tech Tips DIY/How To 0 08-08-2010 11:32 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community