Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #109  
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 285
Thanks: 20
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 917
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
That may be, but last time I checked my house doesn't go from 50 to 90 when I have it set to 70!
Right, which is why it is so annoying that there is no true manual override in this system. I am sick of having 130 F heat blasting out of the vents when I have the system set to 62 F. If I could just set the heat output to, say, 30% (like all "dumb systems" allow the user to do) then I could adjust the system's output to my comfort level and be done with it.

I think the initial skepticism that was proffered in this thread has died down now that more of us have reported the insanity of our HVAC systems. It's not supposed to be this way; however, I doubt we will ever see a resolution that transforms this into a nicely functioning system. Too bad we won't ever get a manual mode option on these.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 02-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 17709
TurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond reputeTurboRush has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
Right, which is why it is so annoying that there is no true manual override in this system. I am sick of having 130 F heat blasting out of the vents when I have the system set to 62 F. If I could just set the heat output to, say, 30% (like all "dumb systems" allow the user to do) then I could adjust the system's output to my comfort level and be done with it.

I think the initial skepticism that was proffered in this thread has died down now that more of us have reported the insanity of our HVAC systems. It's not supposed to be this way; however, I doubt we will ever see a resolution that transforms this into a nicely functioning system. Too bad we won't ever get a manual mode option on these.
I think something will eventually come around because there are many folks that have "normally" functioning HVAC systems - the off the wall temperatures where you can't cool down is obviously not normal (despite what some have been told) - like everything else, enough visibility to Jeep through calls and trip to the service department help result in TSBs.
__________________

__________________
2014 Overland - Granite, Hemi
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM
MajorTom's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 352
Thanks: 10
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1577
MajorTom has a reputation beyond reputeMajorTom has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Wait till summer and you set it on 68 and it doesn't cool down, just heard it up and makes it unbearable. Then maybe they will realize it is 'not working normally'
__________________


______________________________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Cashmere Pearl
Jeep Brown Interior - V6
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 312
jeepwes is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
That may be, but last time I checked my house doesn't go from 50 to 90 when I have it set to 70!
That would be quite a heating bill! Lol

I am giving three trips and then going to see if this qualifies for lemon law case. I will advise Chrysler of my intentions to do this after the third trip. I see no resolution to this based on all the comments on here. If they cannot fix it, then give me my money back. Hvac and being comfortable is a pretty important part to a car.

I plan on using the oven therm for the vent and another one on the dash. May test this tonight and record it. I will put it on YouTube and paste the link here. Others need to be aware of this before buying the car.

While I was reading up on the lemon law, I noticed the 2014 gc gets a front page debut on the lemon law site regarding the transmission. Lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 285
Thanks: 20
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 917
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwes View Post
I am giving three trips and then going to see if this qualifies for lemon law case. I will advise Chrysler of my intentions to do this after the third trip.
Would it motivate Chrysler to "try harder" if they knew of your intentions before the third strike? I'm wondering if they will try to give you the typical brush-off (if they think it will make you go away) vs. if they know you are not going to compromise about the HVAC system's functionality.

I have no clue... others with experience playing hard ball with Chrysler can comment with more authority.

Quote:
I plan on using the oven therm for the vent and another one on the dash. May test this tonight and record it. I will put it on YouTube and paste the link here. Others need to be aware of this before buying the car.
Excellent. Looking forward to it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 312
jeepwes is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Ok finally took the time to truly test this. This is not working right. Car was 60 and the heater went above 110 ! Lmao.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee HVAC Issues - YouTube

Off to the dealer tomorrow morning. Lets see how they explain this one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:25 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 38
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 2154
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

The erratic HVAC is getting frustrating in these cold months, it seemed a little quirky in the summer time but I considered it acceptable. The winter time operation is beyond just quirky and I don't consider it acceptable and they need to do something about it.

Jeep will just continue to call the operation normal and all the owners crazy and then in a few months a TSB will show up with a software fix or something. Then they will tell you its not normal bring it in and have the TSB done. Seems to be the standard order of events of the various software issues.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 312
jeepwes is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
The erratic HVAC is getting frustrating in these cold months, it seemed a little quirky in the summer time but I considered it acceptable. The winter time operation is beyond just quirky and I don't consider it acceptable and they need to do something about it.

Jeep will just continue to call the operation normal and all the owners crazy and then in a few months a TSB will show up with a software fix or something. Then they will tell you its not normal bring it in and have the TSB done. Seems to be the standard order of events of the various software issues.
I plan to exercise my lemon law rights if they cannot fix it and this is something I can file it for. I am well within the limits on the time/mileage. Have to wonder who tests these vehicles before releasing them to the public. Didn't they test this in a Detroit winter?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 285
Thanks: 20
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 917
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwes View Post
Ok finally took the time to truly test this. This is not working right. Car was 60 and the heater went above 110 ! Lmao.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee HVAC Issues - YouTube

Off to the dealer tomorrow morning. Lets see how they explain this one.
Great video. Captured it perfectly... the digital thermometer was an ideal illustration. After watching that it will be hard for anyone to claim the HVAC system is functioning as intended.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 312
jeepwes is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Agreed. Taking therm and video to dealer. Car is 60 inside and heater blows 120 lol. Yeah that must be normal. We will see, have no faith after my last visit there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 312
jeepwes is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Well, back from the Jeep dealer.
The service manager and tech sat in my car and they brought their infra red temp gauge which was showing the same temps as my meat thermometer taped to the air vent.

Had it set at 60, air coming out was 120. They both stated that they have not seen this before and found it very odd how it was working with such huge swings with air temp, as it appears there is no luke warm air option in this system, either 100+ air or cold air.

They sent it to the STAR team and commented on my slip awaiting future updates. At this point in time, I may just take this to another dealer this week to see if they have any ideas, and if not then I have my 3rd repair attempt documented for legal. I contacted my case manager at Jeep and awaiting feedback from them. I am not going to wait months for this to be fixed, they can have their jeep back if they cannot fix it as far as I am concerned. We'll see what happens. Really bad testing/QA on behalf of Jeep.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 285
Thanks: 20
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 917
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem With 2014 Grand Cherokee Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwes View Post
They both stated that they have not seen this before and found it very odd how it was working with such huge swings with air temp, as it appears there is no luke warm air option in this system, either 100+ air or cold air.
"Thanks for your insightful comments, guys. Appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt the first time I came in and not patronizing me. *cough*" Heh.

Even if this turns out to be caused by faulty cabin temperature sensor(s), a separate issue is that there should be no scenario where the vents ever push this egregiously hot air. I mean, it would be bad enough if the system cycled between 90 F and 60 F, but 120+ is madness.

I hope they fix this for you and document it for everyone else who is affected. Barring that, I hope they do an autopsy on your HVAC system after you lemon it so that they can finally determine what is causing this.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, 2014 grand cherokee, grand cherokee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Grand Cherokee Air Conditioning Problem curtispwns Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 47 07-01-2014 01:42 PM
Re: Flat Towing Problem Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 2014 spinedoc Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 11-05-2013 04:22 PM
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Electronics Problem Skipper Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 60 11-03-2013 06:53 PM
8.4AN uconnect Nav problem 2014 Grand Cherokee sundru Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 35 09-20-2013 03:33 PM
Flat Towing Problem Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 SteveCG Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 19 06-03-2013 01:18 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community