Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Clancy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Santa Clarita, So Cal
Posts: 28
Thanks: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 517
Clancy is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeidlerN View Post
I'm not sure I would use my 2 final glitches as a reason not to get the car. Other than those 2 minor things its an amazing vehicle.
Not just your issues, Z. I have spent some time going through threads on the JG forum and the "other" Jeep forum. Just seems to me that a redesign model should not have so many issues. After all, what is really new? The 8-speed (CRD to come).

Being a lifetime Ford guy (and they have had their share of problems), I am unfamiliar with the Jeep history but realize that a lot of guys are crazy about them and I see why.

Just seems to me that some of the weird (to me) problems should NOT be occurring. On Jeep Forum, there's a company that sells seat brackets to fix the expected faulty seats on 99-04 Grand Cherokees. What's up with that?

I'm not knocking Jeep... cause I want to get one. Just bewildered about some of the 2014 issues occurring.
.
__________________

__________________
Perpetual Ford Mustang, truck, and SUV owner in need of a Jeep Grand Cherokee
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 AM
CHALLENGERBIZJET's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,526
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2385
CHALLENGERBIZJET has a reputation beyond reputeCHALLENGERBIZJET has a reputation beyond reputeCHALLENGERBIZJET has a reputation beyond reputeCHALLENGERBIZJET has a reputation beyond reputeCHALLENGERBIZJET has a reputation beyond reputeCHALLENGERBIZJET has a reputation beyond reputeCHALLENGERBIZJET has a reputation beyond repute
New model,new issues that will iron themselves out,even happened to fords believe it or not.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,908
Thanks: 300
Thanked 302 Times in 267 Posts
Rep Power: 1801338
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Just seems to me that some of the weird (to me) problems should NOT be occurring. On Jeep Forum, there's a company that sells seat brackets to fix the expected faulty seats on 99-04 Grand Cherokees. What's up with that?

I'm not knocking Jeep... cause I want to get one. Just bewildered about some of the 2014 issues occurring.
.
I think that whatever brand you check you'll find things like this. Those you are not following on a forum you just don't know about.

Acura/Honda have a great rep. When I bought my '11 MDX people were complaining about "Low Battery" warning and transmission shudder. For almost a year, Acura blamed the customers for "over using accessories" and taking too many short trips. It turned out to be the sensor was set wrong. They then did a firmware update for the transmission. Whatever the problem, they must have thought it could cause internal problems. It was the only firmware update I ever saw that included changing the transmission fluid. A lot of folks, including me, had doors that never looked like they were closed. The dashboards were all shifted to the left (uneven gaps) for a number of years. Acura made no attempt to correct it, year after year.

I had a great dealer, but Acura was nothing to write home about.

As I mentioned in a prior post, a Jeep was the only car (of 14 purchased new) that never went in for warranty work.

I am not defending Jeep ... they are far from perfect. Just saying if you check almost any auto forum, you'll see the dirty underwear.
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto and Mexico
Posts: 37
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 601
mreichmann is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

I don't think that this forum is a large enough sampling to draw any firm conclusions about production quality on the '14 JGCs.

My V8 Summit was built on March 15. I only have a few hundred miles on it after less than a week, but I've been over it with a fine tooth comb and can not detect a single flaw.

The firmware is a bit buggy though. The vehicle forgets some settings when the car is turned off, and the voice response system is simply dreadful. But otherwise this is as well built and finely finished a vehicle as any Mercedes, BMW or Audi I've ever owned.

Michael
__________________
'14 Summit / Black and Brown / Hemi / 4WD
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM
BobsWK2's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,520
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 49513
BobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeidlerN View Post
Little update from today. The dealer rotated the tires, pulls to the right now, just not as much as the left pull. So, not sure what to do next. At 1200 miles, they claim it will wear itself in?

They claim the wood part just heats "real slow" and they compared it to the other ones on the lot and it was the same. I've had it on driving for hours, pretty sure it's not heating up. I guess I'll have to go over and try one of the demo's myself to confirm from another dealer. The leather part of the wheel gets real hot, fast. Maybe I'm feeling the leather part then feeling the wood part and the difference between the two is great enough that I'm thinking it's not heating? Maybe I'm losing my mine.
Does your dealer have a Hunter GSP9700 road force balancing machine? If so, have them pull each wheel/tire combo and check them on the Hunter machine. Sounds like they may need to break the tire bead and reposition the tires on the wheels. Also I believe the Hunter machine can tell if a tire is in need of replacement due to internal defects.

On my previous 2012 Overland and on my current 2014 Summit, I can feel the heat in the entire steering wheel by the time I back out of my short driveway.
__________________
2014 Summit 4X4, V8
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
sjohnson6545 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

i have a 2014 jeep cherokee overland. i have taken it in 4 times because it pulls to the left when i am above 50 mph. my dealer has alligned 3 times, swapped my rims and tires with another overland, balanced my tires and it still pulls exactly the same as before. i believe it has nothing to do with allignment or tires. i am very frustrated with the vehicle and just want it fixed or jeep can buy it back from me. does anyone know anything about this problem?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
anaraya9's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 47
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 558
anaraya9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeidlerN View Post
So I'm slowly getting all the bugs worked out in the 2014 Summit. I'm going to take it in today for what I hope are the last 2 things. The wood part of the steering wheel does want to heat up, I remember from my test rides that, that part was heated so going to have the dealer take a look. That should be simple enough, hopefully it's just something unplugged and they won't have to replace the entire thing.

What is really bothering me is a pull to the left, most noticable over 45-50mph. I did have them do an alignment last week when I had them fixing other parts. It was slightly off, and they said they made some adjustments. The problem is still there. Most of the chrome rims have 2 weights welded to them, the front left one has about 10. Could this be caused by a balance problem? I'll ask the dealer, but thought I would throw it out here.

They claim that once they do the alignment, it must just be something wrong with the tires themselves and Chrysler doesn't do the warrenty work on those, you have to go to the Goodyear place. Which seems like a pain to me. $54,000 car, I kinda just want to be able to take it in there and they "take care of me".

So my questions are:

1) Should the wood part of the wheel heat up on the summit?
2) Is that type of weighting difference between tires common? Should I be asking for a different rim?
3) Is it normal for them not to take care of the tires and you have to go somewhere else to get them looked at?
4) I've never had a new car before, always got 2 year old cars. The engine area still has what I would call a dry burning'ish smell, but that might not be an acurate discription. Is that normal?

Uconnect still likes to change settings on me at random, esically the display settings of Day, Night. Auto. I figure an update will come for that so nothing I can do about it now.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2014 GC Limited, it is pulling toward the left. I had it in at the service center few days after I took delivery. They did a alignment on it. Guess what the problem still exists to date.

There are a few things I have come to realize with this pull toward the left;

1. 20 inch wheels tire profile and tire width. owners with 18 inch wheels do not complain about the pull, I spoke to a few here in Australia.
2. Toe set up
3. Tire pressure.
4. Road camber that is the design of the road.

Even though there is a pull, the wheel alignment may not be out. Tire pressure is another factor. Try maybe a higher pressure setting as opposed to manufacturers specs. 20 inch wheels combined with tire width and lower profile, these tires apparently have a natural tendency to "wander" or pull toward one side combined with the road design. Lower profile tires will follow the natural contour of the road.

My suggestion, take it back to the dealers, and tell them of the problem hopefully it works for you. I am constantly having to have my steering wheel 4-5 degree toward the right to stop the car from wandering toward the left. Left because here in Australia we drive on the left side of the road and the natural camber of the road is declines toward the left.

My other problems are brake squeal at first drive of the day everyday. To turn on cruise control i have to activate it at least 3 times.

Suspension Rattle or clunk over little imperfections on the road.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 793
DKRD12 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

You could try this TSB 22-001-14. Good luck.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DKRD12 For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 484
crespo0542 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Subscribe...I'm having the issue of pulling left as well. I brought it back to dealer for this issue once, they did alignment, but didn't fix it. Since I have other issues to work out as well, this is the actually the last thing on my list...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-25-2014, 04:11 PM
jorgetx's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 31
Thanks: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 433
jorgetx is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeidlerN View Post
So I'm slowly getting all the bugs worked out in the 2014 Summit. I'm going to take it in today for what I hope are the last 2 things. The wood part of the steering wheel does want to heat up, I remember from my test rides that, that part was heated so going to have the dealer take a look. That should be simple enough, hopefully it's just something unplugged and they won't have to replace the entire thing.

What is really bothering me is a pull to the left, most noticable over 45-50mph. I did have them do an alignment last week when I had them fixing other parts. It was slightly off, and they said they made some adjustments. The problem is still there. Most of the chrome rims have 2 weights welded to them, the front left one has about 10. Could this be caused by a balance problem? I'll ask the dealer, but thought I would throw it out here.

They claim that once they do the alignment, it must just be something wrong with the tires themselves and Chrysler doesn't do the warrenty work on those, you have to go to the Goodyear place. Which seems like a pain to me. $54,000 car, I kinda just want to be able to take it in there and they "take care of me".

So my questions are:

1) Should the wood part of the wheel heat up on the summit?
2) Is that type of weighting difference between tires common? Should I be asking for a different rim?
3) Is it normal for them not to take care of the tires and you have to go somewhere else to get them looked at?
4) I've never had a new car before, always got 2 year old cars. The engine area still has what I would call a dry burning'ish smell, but that might not be an acurate discription. Is that normal?

Uconnect still likes to change settings on me at random, esically the display settings of Day, Night. Auto. I figure an update will come for that so nothing I can do about it now.
Hi,

I had the same problem with the Jeep pulling to the left. I took it in and the performed an alignment. Left the lot and noticed that it still did it. Took it back and they checked again... Still the same problem. I didn't have time to sit there and wait for them to mess with it some more that day, so I took it in again the following Monday.

They tried aligning it (again). Finally, they told me there was an issue with the steering gear (I'm assuming that the service guy was referring to the steering gear box) and that it would need to be replaced. They now have it pulled apart and the replacement part is apparently also defective . Anyway, it looks like I'm going to be driving a rental for another few days.

Stick with it and don't let them tell you something is "normal" when it clearly feels off. (They tried to tell me the first couple of times that it was "adjusted to spec")

As for your other points, I've only seen a tire weighted that way when there was something wrong with it (admittedly, aside from buying them when I need to, I don't have that much experience with tires). Oh, and that UConnect thing sounds like a pain in the rear (definitely not normal and not something that I'd be willing to live with after paying $50k+).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-26-2014, 02:00 AM
anaraya9's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 47
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 558
anaraya9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Hi,

Has anyone tried going to an,independent wheel alignment place? I will be doing this next. Don't mind paying for it myself just to see if they do something different and if they have got any pointers for me. The service center does not seem to know what they are doing. Sick of holding the wheel constantly in a 4 degree angle to the right, just does not look right when driving.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM
jorgetx's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 31
Thanks: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 433
jorgetx is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaraya9 View Post
Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2014 GC Limited, it is pulling toward the left. I had it in at the service center few days after I took delivery. They did a alignment on it. Guess what the problem still exists to date.

There are a few things I have come to realize with this pull toward the left;

1. 20 inch wheels tire profile and tire width. owners with 18 inch wheels do not complain about the pull, I spoke to a few here in Australia.
2. Toe set up
3. Tire pressure.
4. Road camber that is the design of the road.

Even though there is a pull, the wheel alignment may not be out. Tire pressure is another factor. Try maybe a higher pressure setting as opposed to manufacturers specs. 20 inch wheels combined with tire width and lower profile, these tires apparently have a natural tendency to "wander" or pull toward one side combined with the road design. Lower profile tires will follow the natural contour of the road.

My suggestion, take it back to the dealers, and tell them of the problem hopefully it works for you. I am constantly having to have my steering wheel 4-5 degree toward the right to stop the car from wandering toward the left. Left because here in Australia we drive on the left side of the road and the natural camber of the road is declines toward the left.

My other problems are brake squeal at first drive of the day everyday. To turn on cruise control i have to activate it at least 3 times.

Suspension Rattle or clunk over little imperfections on the road.
18 inch wheels here and it was pulling to the left...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
poll: 20" Wheels on 2014 Overland vs. 2014 Summit jgc4ever Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 14 08-18-2013 12:17 AM
Summit :: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit MajorTom Member Garage Discussions 1 04-01-2013 07:33 PM
2014 SUMMIT ORDERED 2/20/2013,,NOW FOR THE WAIT! :: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Summit RUIDOSO JAMES Member Garage Discussions 4 03-20-2013 02:32 PM
A few observations about the 2014 Summit compared with today's Summit nathantw Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 12 01-15-2013 11:05 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community