Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-25-2015, 01:57 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
nickel77 is on a distinguished road
Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Hi

When driving over potholes I have started getting this rattling sound every now and then. Had a look under the car, everything seems to be tight and nothing is loose. The only thing that can produce the sound is the heat screen behind the break disk. Has anyone had this? What else could it be?

Thanks

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 827
Jeep1976 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel77 View Post
Hi

When driving over potholes I have started getting this rattling sound every now and then. Had a look under the car, everything seems to be tight and nothing is loose. The only thing that can produce the sound is the heat screen behind the break disk. Has anyone had this? What else could it be?

Thanks
Hi,

did you ever found out what caused the noise? I'm hearing the exact same thing, also driver's side front. I've already looked and nothing obvious seems loose. It does sound like a metal shield rattling, but the brake shield is tight...

Thanks, Sonny
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2132
LogicNow is on a distinguished road
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Had the noise, started only once in a rare while and got worse. Finally started rubbing on the disk every once in a while, that was when I took the tire off and investigated (of course dealer stated they couldn't replicate).

I was able to "bend" the shield with my hands and it has stopped both rubbing and rattling.

Good luck!
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 PM
stephen41987's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1250
stephen41987 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Have the same problem with my 2013 Overland. Sounds like it is coming from the same area. I'll try the heat shield but noticed after I had the dealer install the skid plates that a bolt is missing which makes a rattle too. Thanks for the help with this guys.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2015, 01:47 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
nickel77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep1976 View Post
Hi,

did you ever found out what caused the noise? I'm hearing the exact same thing, also driver's side front. I've already looked and nothing obvious seems loose. It does sound like a metal shield rattling, but the brake shield is tight...

Thanks, Sonny
It is definitely the heat sheet. It is just banging on the break disk. Everything else is tight.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 325467
GearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond reputeGearWhore has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

I've been trying to track down a similar rattle in similar area for the last 6+ months! Driving me crazy! I've replaced both sway bar links, plastic fender/bumper tabs, even left front driveshaft and nothing will make it go away!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 827
Jeep1976 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

I actually found the issue earlier this week. On my driver's front brake caliper the large anti rattle clip on the front of the caliper is missing.
All I'm hearing is the brake pads rattle in the caliper...
I found this kit that has the clips included (I hope they are correct anyway): AC Delco 18K2112X
Amazon.com: ACDelco 18K2112X Professional Durastop Front Disc Brake Caliper Hardware Kit: Automotive
Will order one later to try.

Sonny
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 498
JayM is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNow View Post
Had the noise, started only once in a rare while and got worse. Finally started rubbing on the disk every once in a while, that was when I took the tire off and investigated (of course dealer stated they couldn't replicate).

I was able to "bend" the shield with my hands and it has stopped both rubbing and rattling.

Good luck!
Any chance you took a picture of this? I think I have the same issue.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
floon34 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Does it sound like a quick / short lived rattle?

In mornings only I'll go over a little bump and hear a little clickity click click rattle sound usually only last a second to two then is gone

I never notice it once I've been in the road 15 minutes or more


I thought it may be the wheel bearing as some Wk2 owners have had issues, and since only in the am figured the grease wasn't warm yet.


I'm going to peek at the heat sheild.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: perry hall, maryland
Posts: 498
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 2537
peckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Have the same problem with the rattle noise. I can make it happen by driving on the rumble strips they have created in my state to alert people when they drift across the center line. I told the dealer how to make the noise happen but they claim they can't duplicate the noise. I am going to take the tech for a ride today to "enlighten" him on the noise I hear every day for the past couple of months. It sounds like a heat shield rattle or a skid plate loose. It seems to be coming from the front left. I know the techs hate to chase rattles but it's driving me nuts. I'll post what they find.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
floon34 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
Have the same problem with the rattle noise. I can make it happen by driving on the rumble strips they have created in my state to alert people when they drift across the center line. I told the dealer how to make the noise happen but they claim they can't duplicate the noise. I am going to take the tech for a ride today to "enlighten" him on the noise I hear every day for the past couple of months. It sounds like a heat shield rattle or a skid plate loose. It seems to be coming from the front left. I know the techs hate to chase rattles but it's driving me nuts. I'll post what they find.

Please do let us know.

Also, is it very faint? Almost un-noticeable to the "average" clueless driver?
When it happens it is such a relatively quite noise that some people in the driver seat can't hear it. Cabin needs to be nearly silent to hear it for me.

I've recorded a video clip. Can you all listen to this and tell me if its the same noise you are getting?

I've read a lot of wk2 owners having to get the wheel bearings replaced. However that seems it would be a constant and louder noise than this.

Maybe this is the disc brake shield?

Around 27 second mark it comes in pretty clear. It's more like a clickity clickity clickity click! Then goes away..

Please read video description and listen to entire clip.

http://youtu.be/TFCfjqssDAU
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: perry hall, maryland
Posts: 498
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 2537
peckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rattling sound down under the front left wheel JGC 2014 WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by floon34 View Post
Please do let us know.

Also, is it very faint? Almost un-noticeable to the "average" clueless driver?
When it happens it is such a relatively quite noise that some people in the driver seat can't hear it. Cabin needs to be nearly silent to hear it for me.

I've recorded a video clip. Can you all listen to this and tell me if its the same noise you are getting?

I've read a lot of wk2 owners having to get the wheel bearings replaced. However that seems it would be a constant and louder noise than this.

Maybe this is the disc brake shield?

Around 27 second mark it comes in pretty clear. It's more like a clickity clickity clickity click! Then goes away..

Please read video description and listen to entire clip.

http://youtu.be/TFCfjqssDAU
I listened to your noise and it not the same as mine. Yours is constant and more muffled. Mine is tinny and only happens when I hit a rough patch or rumble strips. Mine sounds like a pie pan flapping and hitting something. Yours sounds more like a busted shock mount to me. I'm not saying that what it is, but thats what it sounds like.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, 2014 wk2, wk2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver's (Left) Side buzzing/rattling fixed! roots4x Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 0 04-18-2014 06:06 PM
When i turn the heat on sound like a pulley is rattling? Brokenspokes00 Troubleshooting/Problems 14 04-11-2013 03:27 PM
Rattling sound coming from under the car (Audio clip included) Tsepz Troubleshooting/Problems 3 02-28-2013 05:36 PM
Rattling sound in rear hatch after sub install evangelion_jeff Audio/Visual/Navigation 3 05-09-2012 11:13 AM
Rattling noise from left front side. 05' WK Limited 4.7 kennethmt Troubleshooting/Problems 6 04-02-2012 07:47 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.