Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007
What are possible issues when opening with mechanical key?
Good question. It was discussed in a couple of threads (as I recall) earlier this year. A quick search produces this, for example: http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...ght=key&page=2
Nothing earth shaking and if you really know what you're doing there are no issues. But it's so easy to avoid all this by simply placing a spare battery in the larger of the two hitch power cavities so you don't have to enter the vehicle. (Non-hitch owners can affix it behind the license plate or some such.) For my wife's benefit, I wrote up battery-change instructions (see below), reduced them onto one small page, trimmed the paper and folded it inside the mini-baggie with the battery stuffed into the power cavity.
Jeep Key Fob Battery Replacement
1) Recommended replacement battery (1): CR2032.
2) On key fob, do not touch: a) battery terminals on back housing, or b) printed circuit board.
3) As usual, remove the emergency key by sliding the mechanical latch at the top of the key fob sideways with your thumb, then pull the key out with your other hand.
1) Remove replacement battery bubble pak from inside trailer hitch’s right (round) electrical connector, where it is shoved in.
2) Insert tip of the emergency key (or a #2 flat blade screwdriver) into the slot and gently pry the two halves of the key fob apart. Make sure not to damage the seal during removal.
3) Ensure your fingertips are dry and clean, notably of body oils. If this is impractical, wipe them as best as you can to remove body oils and such, then remove battery from bubble pack but avoid touching the battery’s + and - flat sides. Also avoid touching the battery contacts that are inside the key fob. (If you inadvertently touch these places anyway, if possible clean it with rubbing alcohol even if you have to do this after returning home.)
4) Remove and replace battery, ensuring the + sign on the battery mates to the + sign on the inside of the battery clip, located on the back cover.
5) To assemble the key fob, snap the two halves together.