SERVICE 4WD Light - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 962
Thanks: 32
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 3952
Cherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1569 View Post
Problem solved.


It was the rear diff solenoid connector clip that wasn't secured.


Go figure...sounds lame to me, but that's what they said.
Good to hear it was an easy fix. The intermittent problems are always the worst.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Dunecrawler's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2933
Dunecrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDunecrawler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1569 View Post
Problem solved.


It was the rear diff solenoid connector clip that wasn't secured.


Go figure...sounds lame to me, but that's what they said.

I had the SERVICE 4WD on my 2006 Overland, and the fix was also the solenoid. Mine had to be replaced, but it was cheap.
__________________
-Willem
'11 WK2 Overland 5.7(Export)
Dark Charcoal, Dark/Light Frost Beige
730/1 NAV (REP)

(Built 21 Aug '10). Ordered on 22 Sept '10 and Delivered 25 Nov '10 in Dubai
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2378
billybronco1 is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

I guess its my time to tell my "service 4wd" story for my 2011 JGC overland with 57K miles. This is about the 5th time we have used the four wheel drive aggressively since I have owned the car.

The other day we were on the beach and I always put the selector switch on sand/mud when going through the soft sand. There are some places that are real soft and I need to get going at a good clip to get through. My tires are new with lots tread, we don't lower the are pressure so they can dig in a lot (not the best situation for the beach) but I figure what the heck its a jeep it should go through any thing. When the tires spin some times I hear that noise like the anti lock brakes make when they engage (makes no sense). As we leave the cottage I see the dash lit up with two traction control lights and the SERV 4WD light. I never saw this before and at the time I could not think about it because I was trying to get through a tough spot and was thinking great another fault light. As we come off the hill we need to get through a real tough spot of soft sand (lights still on) nope Jeep just stops right in the middle of it, will can not move and only the rear tires turning, I'm stuck WTF! Its 9:00 at night, a major lighting storm and raining no one around. So I call my some to come tow us out which he did, I drove along the hard packed sand for about a half a mile and the lights went out, all seemed fine. Now I can't trust this car to do what is is suppose to be best at, what good is it? If it does it one more time, its good buy Jeep.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #16  
Old 03-03-2017, 06:51 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Cautiousone is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

I have a 2011 GC with 76000 miles. The 4WD service light and traction off light came on yesterday and went off when care was restarted. Called dealer and quoted $700. to fix. My question is if it really needed service wouldn't the light stay on all the time? I feel I'm at their mercy they told me fluids needed to be changed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2378
billybronco1 is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Funny, I now have the exact mileage as you. When I took the car to the dealer they reprogrammed the computer or did and update TSB not sure what. The car was still under the 5 year power train warranty but they tried to charge me $235 I said hold on this seems to be part or the power train even if its electronic and the waived the bill. My light has never come on again for the last 20K miles. I did take the car on the beach a few times after and was very nervous the well known for its 4WD "JEEP" would get stuck again but it was okay. I will say the soft sand areas I was in was not as bad as the day when the 4WD failed.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybronco1 For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 1958
DKRD12 is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Cautiousone, Refer to your owners manual for fluid change. They are just trying to upsale you. If you don't have the 600+ page owners manual(not owners guide)you can find it online at Jeep.com.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DKRD12 For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM
2011RitterGC's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 597
Thanks: 145
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 2966
2011RitterGC is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
I guess its my time to tell my "service 4wd" story for my 2011 JGC overland with 57K miles. This is about the 5th time we have used the four wheel drive aggressively since I have owned the car.

The other day we were on the beach and I always put the selector switch on sand/mud when going through the soft sand. There are some places that are real soft and I need to get going at a good clip to get through. My tires are new with lots tread, we don't lower the are pressure so they can dig in a lot (not the best situation for the beach) but I figure what the heck its a jeep it should go through any thing. When the tires spin some times I hear that noise like the anti lock brakes make when they engage (makes no sense). As we leave the cottage I see the dash lit up with two traction control lights and the SERV 4WD light. I never saw this before and at the time I could not think about it because I was trying to get through a tough spot and was thinking great another fault light. As we come off the hill we need to get through a real tough spot of soft sand (lights still on) nope Jeep just stops right in the middle of it, will can not move and only the rear tires turning, I'm stuck WTF! Its 9:00 at night, a major lighting storm and raining no one around. So I call my some to come tow us out which he did, I drove along the hard packed sand for about a half a mile and the lights went out, all seemed fine. Now I can't trust this car to do what is is suppose to be best at, what good is it? If it does it one more time, its good buy Jeep.
The same thing happened to my 2012 GC Overland last week. The dealer said it was my ABS sensor AND my ABS module that both went out at the same time. Sounds like BS to me. The BS light did not come on. Just the Traction control and SER 4wd. Well I took it back out to the beach and the same thing happened. They are now scratching their heads.
__________________
2017 Chief Edition on order (Gobi)
2016 Granite 75th Anniversary Edition Sahara with Dark Saddle Leather
2011 GC Overland, Hemi
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-31-2017, 09:06 AM
2011RitterGC's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 597
Thanks: 145
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 2966
2011RitterGC is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautiousone View Post
I have a 2011 GC with 76000 miles. The 4WD service light and traction off light came on yesterday and went off when care was restarted. Called dealer and quoted $700. to fix. My question is if it really needed service wouldn't the light stay on all the time? I feel I'm at their mercy they told me fluids needed to be changed. Thanks in advance for any help.
That was my dealers first attempt to fix. $400 to change the fluids on front and rear diff along with the transfer case. A second attempt cost $738.
__________________
2017 Chief Edition on order (Gobi)
2016 Granite 75th Anniversary Edition Sahara with Dark Saddle Leather
2011 GC Overland, Hemi
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-31-2017, 05:05 PM
JeepCares's Avatar
Jeep Customer Service
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 397
Thanks: 6
Thanked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Rep Power: 201438
JeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond reputeJeepCares has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011RitterGC View Post
The same thing happened to my 2012 GC Overland last week. The dealer said it was my ABS sensor AND my ABS module that both went out at the same time. Sounds like BS to me. The BS light did not come on. Just the Traction control and SER 4wd. Well I took it back out to the beach and the same thing happened. They are now scratching their heads.
If your Jeep dealership is still working on diagnostics, I'd be happy to reach out to them for follow up. If you're interested, please feel free to PM your VIN and contact info.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeepCares For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 PM
2011RitterGC's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 597
Thanks: 145
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 2966
2011RitterGC is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

[QUOTE=JeepCares;2020443082]If your Jeep dealership is still working on diagnostics, I'd be happy to reach out to them for follow up. If you're interested, please feel free to PM your VIN and contact info.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist[/QUOTE/

Thanks, I appreciate that. I have an apt to bring it back in Monday. Lets see what happens then. I can tell you that at this point I am not happy with what has gone on. This dealer normally has very good service but...

Visit #1 - They serviced the front and rear diff's plus the transfer case (about $400). They told me that it is "scheduled maintenance" but per my owners manual that isn't true. (I have 66,000 miles).

Visit #2 - They replaced the ABS sensor and ABS module (even though the ABS light never came on, just the Traction Control and SER 4WD). This cost me another $738.

I took the Jeep to the beach and the same problem happened.

Visit #3 is Monday.
__________________
2017 Chief Edition on order (Gobi)
2016 Granite 75th Anniversary Edition Sahara with Dark Saddle Leather
2011 GC Overland, Hemi
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2011RitterGC For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 03-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Raptor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 821
Thanks: 7
Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 328765
Raptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

You guys might want to check out this thread, it seems you all have the Hemi V8 with rear ELSD rear differential;

"Service 4wd" light
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raptor For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 PM
2011RitterGC's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 597
Thanks: 145
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 2966
2011RitterGC is on a distinguished road
Re: SERVICE 4WD Light

Well, I THINK they solved the problem. After replacing the ABS sensor and module they needed to re-flash the program.

Kori - Does that make sense?
__________________
2017 Chief Edition on order (Gobi)
2016 Granite 75th Anniversary Edition Sahara with Dark Saddle Leather
2011 GC Overland, Hemi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
service 4wd system CatMan879 Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 33 02-13-2014 05:46 PM
Service 4WD System, rear wheel binding/brake stuck. RossC Grand Cherokee - WK 8 03-23-2011 04:16 PM
service 4wd light with no dtc? boss_hemi Grand Cherokee - WK 6 10-04-2010 11:17 AM
Service 4WD System Message cain45 Grand Cherokee - WK 18 09-13-2010 05:49 PM
Service 4wd on help!!!!! jeeppro Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 18 04-18-2010 10:24 AM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.