So I finally got around to taking the motor out and looking at it. The shaft was somewhat stiff to turn but not jamming in any way.
I looked up the numbers that were on the tag for the motor and could find nothing that matched up to it. The dealer part number 68084266AB that fits my 2011 I found on the internet fine. The lowest price I found was $288 (Dealer $662) from a mopar overstock type dealer.
When I was looking up the codes I had found some information about the measured circuit out of range C148F-1D and that it needed a flash, which I got back then. Thinking about the error I started to think that maybe the motor was just gummed up and the commutator and brushes were dirty causing it to draw higher than normal amperage through the circuit.
I took the 2 torx screws out of the cover and carefully slipped it off. The brushes are in the aluminum housing end and all that is on the other end is a small bearing that fits into the housing far end. The magnets are quite strong so be careful taking it off. I tapped both the housing and the cover lightly upside down with a small plastic mallet and tapped upside down on the flat of my vice, careful not to do it too hard. A lot of carbon dust and a couple of small bits like leftover plastic or carbon from the brushes fell out. The motor now spun nice and free by hand.
I attached a cordless drill to the motor and spun it while using commutator paper to sand the commutator back to a nice shiny copper and to re-seat the brushes. I blew out the housing and cover and wiped clean with a cloth inside. I reassembled it and the motor now spun pretty free with no binding or stiffness.
I did not put any lubricant into the bearings, they are sealed and felt ok to me, although those could probably be replaced as well.
I put it back into the vehicle, reconnected everything and the error condition was gone. It has not come back since and I can change driving modes without any issues.
I was pretty comfortable doing this as I had worked on electric forklifts a long time ago and had to clean the electric motors this was all the time. What else did I have to lose, I was queuing up to buy a new one anyway.
The difficulty level for both R and R as well as the cleaning was pretty low. Unless you try to pull the armature and circuit board out of the aluminum housing you really can't break anything more than it was. Just be gentle when cleaning it.