Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 136
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 2675
SLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond reputeSLLJG has a reputation beyond repute
Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

The New York Times reports that Doug Betts, Fiat Chrysler quality chief, has abandoned his post this morning. The company, where Betts worked for the past seven years, occupied the very bottom of Consumer Reports magazine’s annual rankings released yesterday, with Fiat, Jeep, Ram, and Dodge taking the bottom four slots and Chrysler nabbing number 22 on the list of 28.

Betts, whose official title was Senior Vice President of Quality, had also served in quality control positions at Nissan, Toyota, and General Motors. But since joining Chrysler in 2007, Betts faced an uphill challenge turning around the company’s poor reliability scores.

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram all dropped in Consumer Reports’ quality rankings compared with last year, with nagging problems like the rough-shifting 9-speed transmission in the Jeep Cherokee providing constant headaches.

In a statement, Fiat Chrysler named COO of Product Development Mark Chernoby and Matthew Liddane, quality head for Chrysler of North America, as Betts’ replacements. Betts, the company says, is off to pursue “other interests.”

__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L 4x4; Quadra-Lift II; ORA II; Advanced Technology Group. Built April 2013. At 41,000 miles transmission valve body assembly replaced under warranty. At 43,000 miles (70 000 km) transmission replaced under warranty. Now has 58,000 miles (87 000 km). Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brisbane Queensland. Australia
Posts: 748
Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 2499
fwdjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Maybe the CEO and customer support staff in Jeep Australia should follow suit.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
__________________
fwdjeep
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Bright Silver - Limited
Quatra air Lift - Adventure Off Road Pack II
Mopar Rock Rails
Cheif Front Recovery hook points
"Just need a Bigger Boat"
  #3  
Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Now they just need to fire the rest of the ass clowns in the quality department. My 2015 is an example of the piss poor quality of these vehicles. No way in hell I'll keep this thing beyond the 3-year warranty period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 485
Thanks: 138
Thanked 41 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2153
Briant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

I just wonder if this is more a scapegoat type response and the real issue is corporate isn't making quality/reliability a high priority and making sure appropriate resources are devoted to it.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
  #5  
Old 11-02-2014, 09:59 PM
macfan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fenton, Michigan USA
Posts: 608
Thanks: 130
Thanked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 6111
macfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Now they just need to fire the rest of the ass clowns in the quality department. My 2015 is an example of the piss poor quality of these vehicles. No way in hell I'll keep this thing beyond the 3-year warranty period.
Excuse me. But why did you accept it and buy it in the first place then? If you didn't like the quality of it why did you drive it off of the dealer's lot? Obviously a Jeep is not the vehicle for you and you should have bought something else. Anybody who buys a Jeep should know what it is and has no right to bi--h about it after the fact in my opinion. Do your pre buying research. I am tired of this bashing of Jeep. It is not nor is it meant to be a German luxury car. Nor is it meant to ride like one or have the quality of one. It is by best definition a utility vehicle. If a utility vehicle is not what you wanted and you bought the wrong vehicle you can hardly blame Chrysler for your mistake. I do partially blame Chrysler for this in their trying to fit the Jeep into all vehicle categories like mall crawlers and soccer mom cars. They have confused the market as to what a Jeep really is anymore. I remember when if you owned a Jeep you carried a tool box and knew how to use the tools in it. Back in those days nobody ever complained about that. It was part of owning a Jeep. Now days if your Jeep has a slight rattle or vibration people go nuts, immediately call it poor quality, and demand Chrysler buy it back. I can honestly say without qualification that my 2014 Jeep Cherokee ADII 3.2L is the best vehicle I have ever bought/owned in my 64 years. But then again I knew what I was buying and what my intended use was going to be. I was not looking to imitate a foreign luxury car. I basically wanted a covered Ranchero or El Camino. My Cherokee serves that purpose perfectly with the back seat always in the folded down position. It is a comfortable yet rugged 4X4 hauler.
The Following User Says Thank You to macfan For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,337
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 4282
jp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Now they just need to fire the rest of the ass clowns in the quality department. My 2015 is an example of the piss poor quality of these vehicles. No way in hell I'll keep this thing beyond the 3-year warranty period.

It sounds like its a lot of work to keep you happy. I bet your dealer just loves to see you coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to jp467 For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp467 View Post
It sounds like its a lot of work to keep you happy. I bet your dealer just loves to see you coming.
I've been back to the dealer one time so far. Unfortunately, they were assholes in the way they treated me. I already posted that story in another thread, so I'm not repeating it here. If my Jeep didn't have issues in the first place, there would be no reason for me to go to the dealership. I guess Jeep is the brand to buy if you want to get to know the people who work in the service department of your local dealership. LOL
  #8  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post
Excuse me. But why did you accept it and buy it in the first place then? If you didn't like the quality of it why did you drive it off of the dealer's lot? Obviously a Jeep is not the vehicle for you and you should have bought something else. Anybody who buys a Jeep should know what it is and has no right to bi--h about it after the fact in my opinion. Do your pre buying research. I am tired of this bashing of Jeep. It is not nor is it meant to be a German luxury car. Nor is it meant to ride like one or have the quality of one. It is by best definition a utility vehicle. If a utility vehicle is not what you wanted and you bought the wrong vehicle you can hardly blame Chrysler for your mistake. I do partially blame Chrysler for this in their trying to fit the Jeep into all vehicle categories like mall crawlers and soccer mom cars. They have confused the market as to what a Jeep really is anymore. I remember when if you owned a Jeep you carried a tool box and knew how to use the tools in it. Back in those days nobody ever complained about that. It was part of owning a Jeep. Now days if your Jeep has a slight rattle or vibration people go nuts, immediately call it poor quality, and demand Chrysler buy it back. I can honestly say without qualification that my 2014 Jeep Cherokee ADII 3.2L is the best vehicle I have ever bought/owned in my 64 years. But then again I knew what I was buying and what my intended use was going to be. I was not looking to imitate a foreign luxury car. I basically wanted a covered Ranchero or El Camino. My Cherokee serves that purpose perfectly with the back seat always in the folded down position. It is a comfortable yet rugged 4X4 hauler.
Sorry, but I expect my new $50K Jeep to work properly. I have every right to bash Jeep when they put out a product that has serious design flaws and manufacturing defects. And then f the dealership people could somehow manage to fix my transmission and make it work properly, I'd have much less to bitch about. If you want to buy a new Jeep and carry around a toolbox, well, I can only laugh because there's very little you can fix with basic hand tools on these computerized cars today. In the meantime, I'll bash Jeep all I want until they find a way to fix this POS they sold me.
  #9  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post
Excuse me. But why did you accept it and buy it in the first place then? If you didn't like the quality of it why did you drive it off of the dealer's lot? Obviously a Jeep is not the vehicle for you and you should have bought something else. Anybody who buys a Jeep should know what it is and has no right to bi--h about it after the fact in my opinion. Do your pre buying research. I am tired of this bashing of Jeep. It is not nor is it meant to be a German luxury car. Nor is it meant to ride like one or have the quality of one. It is by best definition a utility vehicle. If a utility vehicle is not what you wanted and you bought the wrong vehicle you can hardly blame Chrysler for your mistake.
Forgot to say---my last vehicle was a 2004 4Runner that I purchased new. It too was a rugged 4x4, yet it never once went back to the dealer since the day I drove it off the lot. If Toyota can put together a quality SUV, then there is no excuse for Jeep to be able to do the same.
  #10  
Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 AM
macfan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fenton, Michigan USA
Posts: 608
Thanks: 130
Thanked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 6111
macfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Sorry, but I expect my new $50K Jeep to work properly. I have every right to bash Jeep when they put out a product that has serious design flaws and manufacturing defects. And then f the dealership people could somehow manage to fix my transmission and make it work properly, I'd have much less to bitch about. If you want to buy a new Jeep and carry around a toolbox, well, I can only laugh because there's very little you can fix with basic hand tools on these computerized cars today. In the meantime, I'll bash Jeep all I want until they find a way to fix this POS they sold me.
I see you have an attitude so all I am going to say is that I wish you the best.
  #11  
Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 AM
GCLimited's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,191
Thanks: 14
Thanked 82 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 52204
GCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

I see you have an attitude so all I am going to say is that I wish you the best.
He has an "attitude" because he expects his $50,000 vehicle to work properly?



I TOTALLY feel MSCA's frustration because I too have been dealing with issues concerning my later build 2014 Overland V6 (as well MANY issues with my first POS 2014 Limited V6 I got rid of for the Overland). My transmission STILL shifts rough in the lower gears, I have vibrations in the steering wheel at highway speeds, and I'm STILL working with Chrysler Customer Care trying to find a dealership in my area who will perform the warranty work and offer a loaner.

I've owned MANY new vehicles from different manufacturers in my days, and dealing with Chrysler/Jeep dealerships has been by FAR the worst. I too will be unloading my 2014 GC when the 3 year warranty expires.

Tired of this shit.
  #12  
Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 AM
macfan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fenton, Michigan USA
Posts: 608
Thanks: 130
Thanked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 6111
macfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slammed by Consumer Reports, Fiat Chrysler quality chief resigns

Hmmmm, Something doesn't add up here. There is somekind of disconnect, This came from the Detroit News this morning. Guess Consumer Report didn't get the memo.

Chrysler Group LLC's October sales rose 21.7 percent, driven by sales of its Jeep and Ram brands, the automaker said Monday.

Every Chrysler, Jeep and Ram vehicle saw year-over-year sales growth in October.
Closed Thread

Tags
slammed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Consumer Reports jp467 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 15 11-02-2011 02:36 PM
Chrysler fixes Grand Cherokee handling issue identified by Consumer Reports B.P.O.D Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 4 02-21-2011 12:22 PM
What Happened to Consumer Reports Safety Complaint? Lingohocken Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 33 01-09-2011 04:30 PM
Consumer reports on 2011 LJS8510 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 8 07-28-2010 06:45 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.