Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 PM
jeepman917's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 182
Thanks: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 747
jeepman917 is on a distinguished road
Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

hi all..

regarding my 2014 Jeep Summit..

After I ran through my first tank of dealer provided gas - I filled up with regular. Immediately I noticed a performance issue - not only was the car a bit sluggish - the MPG average (after reset on fill up) was way lower -- and was lower while driving.

Like to get your opinion on fuel for the hemi based on your experience. What are you guys putting in and what is your experience...

Subsequently - I ran the tank to half and put in premium - effectively having a full take of a mid range octane... The car ran much better (still not as good as when I picked it up with dealer gas)... Maybe the gas I got at second fill up was sub parr - it was from Sams club - Ive never had problems there.

Thanks! Appreciate your advice. I know what the manual says - looking for your opinions and experience...
__________________

__________________
2014 Jeep Summit in black pearl w grand canyon interior... Hemi 5.7...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM
xJoshxx's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burlington,KY
Posts: 860
Thanks: 34
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 72783
xJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman917 View Post
hi all..

After I ran through my first tank of dealer provided gas - I filled up with regular. Immediately I noticed a performance issue - not only was the car a bit sluggish - the MPG average (after reset on fill up) was way lower -- and was lower while driving.

Like to get your opinion on fuel for the hemi based on your experience. What are you guys putting in and what is your experience...

Subsequently - I ran the tank to half and put in premium - effectively having a full take of a mid range octane... The car ran much better (still not as good as when I picked it up with dealer gas)... Maybe the gas I got at second fill up was sub parr - it was from Sams club - Ive never had problems there.

Thanks! Appreciate your advice. I know what the manual says - looking for your opinions and experience...
Owners Manual States 89+
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM
BobsWK2's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,572
Thanks: 3
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 49704
BobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

I bet most dealers only put 87 octane in the WK2, no matter what engine it has in it.
__________________
2014 Summit 4X4, V8
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 PM
jeepman917's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 182
Thanks: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 747
jeepman917 is on a distinguished road
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
I bet most dealers only put 87 octane in the WK2, no matter what engine it has in it.
Agree - in fact it was the dealer who told me they use regular when I went to get my plates - and - that is what they suggest. Not what I found out to be true - at least not with that fill up...
__________________
2014 Jeep Summit in black pearl w grand canyon interior... Hemi 5.7...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM
xJoshxx's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burlington,KY
Posts: 860
Thanks: 34
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 72783
xJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman917 View Post
Agree - in fact it was the dealer who told me they use regular when I went to get my plates - and - that is what they suggest. Not what I found out to be true - at least not with that fill up...
Yep fill up with a tank of 91+ you should be good. Gas stations around here only do 93+
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
jeepman917's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 182
Thanks: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 747
jeepman917 is on a distinguished road
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
Yep fill up with a tank of 91+ you should be good. Gas stations around here only do 93+
thanks xjosh
__________________
2014 Jeep Summit in black pearl w grand canyon interior... Hemi 5.7...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,388
Thanks: 341
Thanked 366 Times in 318 Posts
Rep Power: 1801962
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Trying to figure out how each tank of gas is reacting in a brand new vehicle is an exercise in futility. Maybe after a few thousand miles on the car you can detect something. The difference you realize could be from the gas, could be from the drive train going through various stages of break-in, could be you adjusting your driving to a new vehicle, and a good dose of "It's all in your head".

Use the gas the manual recommends - 89 octane. Now, forget about mileage for awhile and just enjoy your new ride.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_de For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
jeepman917's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 182
Thanks: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 747
jeepman917 is on a distinguished road
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Trying to figure out how each tank of gas is reacting in a brand new vehicle is an exercise in futility. Maybe after a few thousand miles on the car you can detect something. The difference you realize could be from the gas, could be from the drive train going through various stages of break-in, could be you adjusting your driving to a new vehicle, and a good dose of "It's all in your head".

Use the gas the manual recommends - 89 octane. Now, forget about mileage for awhile and just enjoy your new ride.


---
agree fully! its probably all in my head also! next tank will be 89
__________________
2014 Jeep Summit in black pearl w grand canyon interior... Hemi 5.7...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 672
Thanks: 17
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 1152386
Specx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

So far I only fill up with 89. The dealer put 87 in the tank when I took delivery, but I hardly notice the power difference and what little I felt was probably in my head as suggested.
__________________
Ordered 02/06/2013: 2014 Overland, Brilliant Black Exterior, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, Off-Road Adventure II, Advanced Technology Group

Vehicle Delivered to Dealer 03/25/2013 05:00 PM PDT In my garage!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 449
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 3351
Keirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond reputeKeirik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specx View Post
So far I only fill up with 89. The dealer put 87 in the tank when I took delivery, but I hardly notice the power difference and what little I felt was probably in my head as suggested.
Manual says 89 octane. Anything higher is a waste. Not 87, not 91, not 93, just 89 lol.
__________________
Had 09 HEMI Overland (totalled)
Ordered 2014 HEMI Overland max steel/black
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,642
Thanks: 41
Thanked 96 Times in 89 Posts
Rep Power: 44175
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman917 View Post
agree fully! its probably all in my head also! next tank will be 89
It could also be related to the local altitude and the gasoline area you drive in.

At higher altitude, 87 is the midgrade [pump method].

If you are around LA, I have no idea what sort of witches brew they put in the gas there, but it drives like [censored], and the premium seems worse than the regular.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 185
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2158
Rexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond reputeRexlion has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Reviving this older thread to see if anyone in the last few months has done any experimenting between regular and midgrade in their 5.7 hemi, to see if any differences in mpg or performance can be quantified. Any new data to add?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best fuel for 87 Tune? 87 pure or 89 w/ ethanol - Jeep Hemi TyBauz Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 5 03-04-2013 10:16 PM
2009 5.7L Hemi - Suggestions for Better Fuel Economy?? mlsmith3344 Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 11 04-09-2012 12:07 AM
Hemi Fuel Economy Comparison After Mods. jeepgcoman Grand Cherokee - WK 0 05-06-2011 03:11 PM
Fuel economy 5.7 hemi DanD2124 Grand Cherokee - WK 48 05-06-2011 02:00 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.