Suspension shudder - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1660
chaddn is on a distinguished road
Suspension shudder

I have a 2011 Laredo X Hemi with 60k miles on it. When you hit bumps the suspension feels extremely loose. The bumps basically shake or shudder the whole car. I bought the car used and noticed this nearly from day one. It seems to originate from the front suspension. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas what it could be?

Most threads I have found on this subject mention noises (clunks) coming from the suspension but mine doesn't do that. I've had cars that needed shocks before but they had more float to them. The car feels tight and rides nice on smooth roads, but rough roads shake the thing like crazy. I had a 2012 Laredo V6 base before this that rode perfect, so I definitely have something to compare to.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1632
somedaycts is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

Does your steering shake back-and-forth when hitting the bumps?

Do you have 18" or 20" rims?

How is the tread on your tires?

I found a thread on another Jeep forum that seemed similar to your issue. One member resolved their issue replacing the sway bar bushings. If you Google the following phrase, it should be the first search result: wk2 front suspension feels really loose
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1660
chaddn is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

Thanks for the reply! I have done a ton of searching on this subject as well. The steering does not shake back and forth. It feels more like the wheels are bouncing up and down/reverberating when hitting a bump. So you feel the bump in the tire and then it shudders through the cabin. Bouncy suspension would be a good description as well.

I have 20" wheels with the Goodyear Forteras that are about 1 year old, inflated to 35psi cold. I had the same model rims and tires on my 2012 Laredo base with no issue like this. Tread is still really good. However, my buddy looked at the front tires and noted some cupping on the outside of both fronts..maybe that's a symptom of the problem? An alignment issue?

I did see the post about the guy who replaced both sway bar bushings. That was also actually stated in a reply post to something I put on jeepforum.com. So I will take a look at those, just looking for anyone else who may have experienced this and/or other ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2014, 02:56 AM
anaraya9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1441
anaraya9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddn View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have done a ton of searching on this subject as well. The steering does not shake back and forth. It feels more like the wheels are bouncing up and down/reverberating when hitting a bump. So you feel the bump in the tire and then it shudders through the cabin. Bouncy suspension would be a good description as well.

I have 20" wheels with the Goodyear Forteras that are about 1 year old, inflated to 35psi cold. I had the same model rims and tires on my 2012 Laredo base with no issue like this. Tread is still really good. However, my buddy looked at the front tires and noted some cupping on the outside of both fronts..maybe that's a symptom of the problem? An alignment issue?

I did see the post about the guy who replaced both sway bar bushings. That was also actually stated in a reply post to something I put on jeepforum.com. So I will take a look at those, just looking for anyone else who may have experienced this and/or other ideas.
Hi,
I have a MY14 JGC, it is only 7 months old. I have had the same noise from day one. It drives smooth on smooth roads. As soon as I hit slightly rough or bumpy roads, it shudders and or reverberates like crazy. Guess what the service department told me, IT IS NORMAL. It is a load of B***S**T, other cars I have owned prior to this did not have this issue.

Last week sat in my friends 2008 Toyota, drove on the same road that I drive on to see the difference, guess what no shudder or reverberation heard. The ride was quiet and smooth over bumps. I have Quadra lift suspension as well. Suspension noise is crap on Jeeps. Until there is a class action Jeep will not do anything about it.

Honestly, this will be my last Jeep.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1660
chaddn is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaraya9 View Post
Hi,
I have a MY14 JGC, it is only 7 months old. I have had the same noise from day one. It drives smooth on smooth roads. As soon as I hit slightly rough or bumpy roads, it shudders and or reverberates like crazy. Guess what the service department told me, IT IS NORMAL. It is a load of B***S**T, other cars I have owned prior to this did not have this issue.

Last week sat in my friends 2008 Toyota, drove on the same road that I drive on to see the difference, guess what no shudder or reverberation heard. The ride was quiet and smooth over bumps. I have Quadra lift suspension as well. Suspension noise is crap on Jeeps. Until there is a class action Jeep will not do anything about it.

Honestly, this will be my last Jeep.
As I mentioned, I had a 2012 GC Laredo before this car that did not ride like this. The main difference is it had the 3.6L and regular AWD whereas the 2011 I have now has the 5.7L and QDII. So I also don't buy that this is normal for these cars, my last one did not have this issue.

I'm in complete agreement, this was my fourth and last Jeep. Looking to trade it in very soon.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2014, 04:33 AM
anaraya9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1441
anaraya9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddn View Post
As I mentioned, I had a 2012 GC Laredo before this car that did not ride like this. The main difference is it had the 3.6L and regular AWD whereas the 2011 I have now has the 5.7L and QDII. So I also don't buy that this is normal for these cars, my last one did not have this issue.

I'm in complete agreement, this was my fourth and last Jeep. Looking to trade it in very soon.
Hi,
Now that you say it, I too had a 2012 JGC Laredo as well before I traded it in for the MY14 Limited. That did not shudder and reverberate. The difference, on the Laredo I had no quadralift, and had 18" wheels. Both were VM motori V6 3.0L diesel. Something is seriously flawed on the way the suspension is getting setup on these things. Wrong bushes, maybe incorrect torque settings on the fasteners etc. Or the suspension geometry is out before it gets bolted to the chassis. Had enough, my 7month old jeep sounds like an old junk over bumps.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,554
Thanks: 621
Thanked 607 Times in 499 Posts
Rep Power: 10528
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Suspension shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddn View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have done a ton of searching on this subject as well. The steering does not shake back and forth. It feels more like the wheels are bouncing up and down/reverberating when hitting a bump. So you feel the bump in the tire and then it shudders through the cabin. Bouncy suspension would be a good description as well.

I have 20" wheels with the Goodyear Forteras that are about 1 year old, inflated to 35psi cold. I had the same model rims and tires on my 2012 Laredo base with no issue like this. Tread is still really good. However, my buddy looked at the front tires and noted some cupping on the outside of both fronts..maybe that's a symptom of the problem? An alignment issue?

I did see the post about the guy who replaced both sway bar bushings. That was also actually stated in a reply post to something I put on jeepforum.com. So I will take a look at those, just looking for anyone else who may have experienced this and/or other ideas.

These are classic signs of worn shocks.
__________________

THE GHOST
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 143
Thanks: 22
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1847
Celestinemusic is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

I agree with MDbones. Vertical bounce with cupping are the most typical symptoms of worn shocks for any vehicle. You may also notice vertical bounce when driving over dips in the road even when there are no bumps.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 PM
anaraya9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1441
anaraya9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestinemusic View Post
I agree with MDbones. Vertical bounce with cupping are the most typical symptoms of worn shocks for any vehicle. You may also notice vertical bounce when driving over dips in the road even when there are no bumps.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Hi,

I have had the front shocks checked out by an independent suspension specialist. Front shocks are fine. I think its time for me to get under the car and start an investigation of my own. May even start with replacing the sway bar bushing as suggested earlier. I will get a wrench onto all the bolts around the front suspension area. Can't imagine though sway bar bushing will be faulty on a 7month old car bought new from dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 AM
anaraya9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1441
anaraya9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Suspension shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddn View Post
I have a 2011 Laredo X Hemi with 60k miles on it. When you hit bumps the suspension feels extremely loose. The bumps basically shake or shudder the whole car. I bought the car used and noticed this nearly from day one. It seems to originate from the front suspension. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas what it could be?

Most threads I have found on this subject mention noises (clunks) coming from the suspension but mine doesn't do that. I've had cars that needed shocks before but they had more float to them. The car feels tight and rides nice on smooth roads, but rough roads shake the thing like crazy. I had a 2012 Laredo V6 base before this that rode perfect, so I definitely have something to compare to.
Hi,

Have you found a solution to your problem?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 PM
simonvez's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 248
Thanks: 59
Thanked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 1322
simonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspension shudder

I have the EXACT same issue. I cant find what is going on. 2011 GC Hemi overland with 20". Quadra lift.

I am starting to think that the bouncing/vibration comes from the air suspension. Having the weight on those air bags. Its my first air suspension... so im wondering if it is normal. I guess not.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 AM
simonvez's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 248
Thanks: 59
Thanked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 1322
simonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond reputesimonvez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspension shudder

My JGC is going to the dealer today to work on the suspension. Ill keep you posted
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shudder Problem kbounds22 Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models 12 06-21-2013 01:24 PM
Suspension mods- is the Grand Cherokee suspension the same? Scottina06 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 3 06-25-2012 02:53 PM
Did Shudder TSB fix a problem? 2011 Shudder problems thread JoeSchmoe007 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 159 02-14-2011 09:11 AM
Low RPM Shudder any ideas?? kbounds22 Grand Cherokee - WK 2 07-17-2010 11:36 PM
Shudder when turning? Fullspeedjunky Grand Cherokee - WK 5 03-22-2010 11:09 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.