Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Strongbadia
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 614
Hayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Totalled

Was sitting at a red light yesterday and was struck from behind by another Grand Cherokee doing over 40mph. Their insurance has already accepted 100% fault. The estimate came it at almost $15k and they still not sure that is everything. It took out one side of the exhaust all the way forward. Tailgate/bumper is gone and it buckled both rear quarter panels. Frame is also tweaked a little.

Was two blocks from the dealer on the way for the first oil change.

It is a 2014 Summit (2 months old with 5300 miles).
Does anyone have experience with the totalled threshold?
They intend to fix it. Is there something unique to the GC that I should be on the look out based on such an impact to the rear?

I miss it already...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 777
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1231794
2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope you didn't get hurt and I hope it all works out okay.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM
cnynctry's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: PV Arizona
Posts: 84
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2094
cnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond reputecnynctry has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

If they decide to fix it instead of totaling it make sure you get compensation for the reduced / diminished value that an accident like that will cost you when selling. It will show up on carfax. If they do total it.. never accept their first offer.

Hope everyone is OK.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Overland
2014 Wrangler Rubicon
2010 Challenger R/T Classic
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 AM
AquaForester's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1971
AquaForester has a reputation beyond reputeAquaForester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

My 2011 GC got hit the same way. I was sitting at a red light and a van hit me and pushed me into a Jeep Liberty who was at the light in front of me. The car had $19,000 in damage and they wouldn't total it. The damage was mostly above the bumper and the air bags did not go off. If they had it would have been totaled since those are very expensive. I was fearful the jeep would never be the same and it wasn't I had engine lights and problems with the transmissions even after return to the repair shop many times. The sticker on my GC laredo was around $40,000 so yours sounds like it will be higher. It really depends on the damage and the value of the Jeep whether it gets totaled.

EDIT: Interesting thing the liberties back tire completely protected it's rear-end. That spare went right thru my grill like it was made of butter. I think I want a spare on the back of my GC.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 702
MICHIWK2 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Totalled


Just crusing down the freeway at 65mph. Looked out my drivers window for a split second. when i looked back everyone was slamming on their brakes. I tried stopping, turned for the gaurd rail, then the lady in her Escape did the smae thing i caught her on her drivers corner... Totalled. I was not even sore. Tough way to validate their crash test safety ratings, but i stand behind them! lol. Ended up taking the insurance money and went from a Laredo to a Limited. :-)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 41
Thanked 98 Times in 91 Posts
Rep Power: 44202
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaForester View Post
My 2011 GC got hit the same way. I was sitting at a red light and a van hit me and pushed me into a Jeep Liberty who was at the light in front of me. The car had $19,000 in damage and they wouldn't total it. The damage was mostly above the bumper and the air bags did not go off. If they had it would have been totaled since those are very expensive. I was fearful the jeep would never be the same and it wasn't I had engine lights and problems with the transmissions even after return to the repair shop many times. The sticker on my GC laredo was around $40,000 so yours sounds like it will be higher. It really depends on the damage and the value of the Jeep whether it gets totaled.

EDIT: Interesting thing the liberties back tire completely protected it's rear-end. That spare went right thru my grill like it was made of butter. I think I want a spare on the back of my GC.
Also consider one of these... it is rather heavy...



Beaver Step - Smittybilt

A strong tie makes a pretty good shim if it is at all wobbly in the receiver.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 PM
AquaForester's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1971
AquaForester has a reputation beyond reputeAquaForester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
Also consider one of these... it is rather heavy...



Beaver Step - Smittybilt

A strong tie makes a pretty good shim if it is at all wobbly in the receiver.
Thanks LOL, got one in my Amazon Cart! I had '97 Jeep as well that was rear-ended so I'm not taking any chance with my 2014.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 848
JoeD is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Totalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed_wk2 View Post
Was sitting at a red light yesterday and was struck from behind by another Grand Cherokee doing over 40mph. Their insurance has already accepted 100% fault. The estimate came it at almost $15k and they still not sure that is everything. It took out one side of the exhaust all the way forward. Tailgate/bumper is gone and it buckled both rear quarter panels. Frame is also tweaked a little.

Was two blocks from the dealer on the way for the first oil change.

It is a 2014 Summit (2 months old with 5300 miles).
Does anyone have experience with the totalled threshold?
They intend to fix it. Is there something unique to the GC that I should be on the look out based on such an impact to the rear?

I miss it already...
Make sure you get diminished value in the cost of repair and tell them you need a comparable vehicle while yours is being fixed, 4x4 sport utility of same size. Then trade it in totaled, most times the big jobs are great money makers for the body shop. This way they can make money off the job and selling you a new Jeep.
__________________
2013 WK2 Limited 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Strongbadia
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 614
Hayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

I gotta tell you that you guys suck with all your stories of driving your jeeps. I am still waiting - it should be about two more weeks. I have every reason to believe the shop on how well the repairs are going for them. It will be between $16-18k when all done.

When my memory of the jeep starts to fade, I just get on here and look at the pictures.

For what it is worth, the other GC looked like MICHWK2's car in front. Very pleased with the safety factor of these cars.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Long Live the Graphite Ghost

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,423
Thanks: 55
Thanked 133 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 542738
robpp has disabled reputation
Re: Totalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Make sure you get diminished value in the cost of repair and tell them you need a comparable vehicle while yours is being fixed, 4x4 sport utility of same size. Then trade it in totaled, most times the big jobs are great money makers for the body shop. This way they can make money off the job and selling you a new Jeep.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


OP,


Check your state laws about this "diminished value"

it protects from the negative results of a carfax and such.

the stealer uses carfax when you trade so it WILL affect value.
make sure insurance pay you that 'diminished value' if you can collect it.

EACH state is different. ALSO most times you need to do it through YOUR company.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Strongbadia
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 614
Hayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond reputeHayseed_wk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

It has already been brought up with both companies and the dealer. The problem in our state is proving the value. Until we sell/trade it the value cannot be determined. If I trade now just to recoup the lost value, then I take a hit on normal depreciation. Not worth the loss. Totaling it would be the only net zero game in that situation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Hitchhiking
My Jeep: 2008 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: middleburg fl
Posts: 909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 0
kennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond reputekennzz05 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totalled

that beaver step will transfer the hit directly to the frame which will certainly increase the chance of frame damage.And according to the link below increase whiplash damage by 22%. Same reason not to leave your hitch receiver in place when not towing. todays vehicles are designed to crush that step could effect that, and in turn make the crash worse on the occupants. just my 2c

found this:
http://alerts.nationalsafetycommissi...-rear-end.html

and this:

http://www.sparebumper.com/
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
totalled 2 weeks ago =( richxgior Grand Cherokee - WK 21 07-17-2011 05:39 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.