Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Lingohocken's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,185
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3317
Lingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Nice find.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago west suburbs
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1338
moontz is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpatrick View Post
So, I gave up on the service department of the dealership close to my house and took the GC back to the dealership where I bought it, assuming they would be more motivated to fix the issue. The tech spent most of the day today troubleshooting the issue, then finally gave up and contacted Chrysler. They recommended the same thing reported by TylerC - expansion valve replacement. The part has been ordered and I'll be taking the GC back in next week to have the fix made when the part arrives. However, based on TylerC's experience, I not very hopeful.

Interestingly, a Google search returned a TSB on the Dodge neon, dated 2/9/96, that seems to describe this exact issue (though the RPM range is a little different). Here is the symptom/condition description:

Under certain conditions, the internal flow of R-134a refrigerant may set up a resonance in some evaporator cores. This resonance can emit from the dash area as a high-pitched whistle noise. The whistle noise usually lasts 3 to 5 seconds and starts shortly after the A/C compressor clutch engages. The duration and the intensity of the whistle noise may vary as well as be highly intermittent. The whistle noise is most likely to be experienced in ambient temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit and engine speeds of 2,000 RPM or higher.

The recommended repair is to replace the expansion valve. In the last step, it says that if replacing the valve doesn't fix the problem, then the evaporator coil should be replaced.

Any luck?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1323
krpatrick is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

As I expected, my results were similar to TylerC's. The A/C expansion valve was replaced, but had no effect on the problem. At that point, Chrysler's tech support people asked my service advisor if he could reproduce the issue on any other similarly-equipped Grand Cherokees on his lot. When he confirmed that he could, the tech support people decided that the Grand Cherokees were just made that way and they wouldn't authorize any more attempts at a resolution.

The service advisor encouraged me to file a complaint with Chrysler, saying (and I agree) that if enough people complain they'll eventually have to fix the problem. He gave me the phone number for the Customer Center, but I'm going to send a certified letter instead, since that's the first step required by North Carolina's lemon law.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1211
TylerC is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Alright gents (and ladies if I missed it), I think I've pushed enough buttons to get this thing resolved...for now. As I posted earlier, I began the Lemon Law process and received immediate response from the local Chrysler rep. I was asked to return the vehicle again to the dealership, which I did. As a reminder, this was the 7th return trip. And on one of those attempts they "removed and replaced the H Valve and EVAC and charged the system..." This did not fix the problem and thus the Lemon Law process. Upon returning the other day as per their request for this process, a different (as they put it "more qualified") Chrysler Corp technician then [I]"removed and replaced the A/C Low Side Line and the line from H Valve - removed Wiper Motor and Cowl (?) for access...and EVAC and charge the system." I'm imagining these techs skipped grammar class. Anyway, it has now been two days and I haven't heard the noise...yet. I'm remaining highly skeptical. And remain steadfast in my opinion of the dealership. I'll not return there for any further service. I'll be taking the GC to the Honda dealership directly across the street and waving at the Jeep guys as I pull in and out. From top to bottom (GM to Service Manager to Service Tech) I have had the single worst car dealership experience at Orlando Chrysler Dodge Jeep. Auto techs seem to sometimes forget they are still in the customer service arena as well as the auto service one. Hope this has helped some of you as the pasts posts certainly helped me. Thanks all.
Onward and upward!
Tyler
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Lingohocken's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,185
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3317
Lingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago west suburbs
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1338
moontz is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC View Post
Alright gents (and ladies if I missed it), I think I've pushed enough buttons to get this thing resolved...for now. As I posted earlier, I began the Lemon Law process and received immediate response from the local Chrysler rep. I was asked to return the vehicle again to the dealership, which I did. As a reminder, this was the 7th return trip. And on one of those attempts they "removed and replaced the H Valve and EVAC and charged the system..." This did not fix the problem and thus the Lemon Law process. Upon returning the other day as per their request for this process, a different (as they put it "more qualified") Chrysler Corp technician then [I]"removed and replaced the A/C Low Side Line and the line from H Valve - removed Wiper Motor and Cowl (?) for access...and EVAC and charge the system." I'm imagining these techs skipped grammar class. Anyway, it has now been two days and I haven't heard the noise...yet. I'm remaining highly skeptical. And remain steadfast in my opinion of the dealership. I'll not return there for any further service. I'll be taking the GC to the Honda dealership directly across the street and waving at the Jeep guys as I pull in and out. From top to bottom (GM to Service Manager to Service Tech) I have had the single worst car dealership experience at Orlando Chrysler Dodge Jeep. Auto techs seem to sometimes forget they are still in the customer service arena as well as the auto service one. Hope this has helped some of you as the pasts posts certainly helped me. Thanks all.
Onward and upward!
Tyler
Let us know how it ends up as time goes. If it works, I may bring your post to my service manager and see if he understands the fix.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1211
TylerC is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Mootz,
I would do just that. I printed these posts back in my initial dealings with the dealer. In my last post what I put in quotes (") is exactly what was printed upon my service statement they provided. If all fails, tell them to call the Chrysler tech at Orlando Chrysler Dodge Jeep @ 407-299-1120. Tell them a very recent customer by the first name of Tyler had the same problems with his 2011 Gold (color) GC Laredo. Everyone in the dealership Service Department will know who I am, believe me. Good luck.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago west suburbs
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1338
moontz is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC View Post
Mootz,
I would do just that. I printed these posts back in my initial dealings with the dealer. In my last post what I put in quotes (") is exactly what was printed upon my service statement they provided. If all fails, tell them to call the Chrysler tech at Orlando Chrysler Dodge Jeep @ 407-299-1120. Tell them a very recent customer by the first name of Tyler had the same problems with his 2011 Gold (color) GC Laredo. Everyone in the dealership Service Department will know who I am, believe me. Good luck.
Thanks! I appreciate the info. - Brian
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1452
ctwickman is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Wow I'm so thankful for this forum.

I too have the exact same problem, and I have the Hemi with a build date of 10/2011. I was beginning to think I was the only one hearing this but then my wife commented on it. And then I see this thread.

The descriptions of the noise are spot on. Never noticed it during the winter either, so perhaps it is the A/C like many have concluded.

I only hope Chrysler finds a solution to this problem and that this thread is made a sticky or does not fall off the radar. I am sick of having a teenage "hearing test" every time I drive this summer! It is seriously one of the most annoying noises I have ever heard in a car. Just subtle and high pitched enough to drive you crazy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1452
ctwickman is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Can the OP or a mod change the title of this thread as it also affects the Hemi engine and not just the V6?

BTW I have a feeling the high pitched noise does have to do with the A/C as it goes away when you turn it off, but it is not the A/C itself and is indeed high pitched electrical feedback through the speaker wires anteriorly behind the dash, so the sound would actually be coming from the front/center speakers. I've had this problem in cars before when I was a teenager and we used to install custom stereos. Has anyone considered this?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2901
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwickman View Post
Can the OP or a mod change the title of this thread as it also affects the Hemi engine and not just the V6?

BTW I have a feeling the high pitched noise does have to do with the A/C as it goes away when you turn it off, but it is not the A/C itself and is indeed high pitched electrical feedback through the speaker wires anteriorly behind the dash, so the sound would actually be coming from the front/center speakers. I've had this problem in cars before when I was a teenager and we used to install custom stereos. Has anyone considered this?
It doesn't sound like any kind of feedback I've ever heard and is still present with the audio system off... powered down audio equipment won't feed back (and then, if it was coming from the speakers it would be an induction with the tweeters).

The noise is much more likely the refrigerant in the expansion valve.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
kenrok1 is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 High Pitched Sound

just found this thread - I too am having the same issue and ruled out the audio as well (which I initially thought it was - like the CRT sound). I had my first oil change a few weeks ago and asked the service dept to try to fix and they thought it was the gears on motor that moves diverts the air flow ~ like when changing from floor to dash not meshing properly and "recalibrated" it... unfortunately this made no difference. I will print this thread and bring it with me for the next visit. Thanks Tyler!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new sound system hafalex Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 13 04-16-2010 07:40 AM
D/S rotor sound? Relwarc Performance Modifications 11 04-09-2010 10:24 PM
Premium Sound in 05 WK jcostri09 Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 10 10-16-2009 11:52 PM
Sound Dampening JUSToneJEEP Grand Cherokee - WK 6 07-21-2009 06:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community