5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding? - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
floon34 is on a distinguished road
5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Hey guys just curious if anyone here has HONESTLY noticed any real power gains with minor mods to their 5.7L wk2's? And if so what are they?!
Please don't turn this into a mod fanboy war.

Some history:

I was a little disappointed by the 5.7L (360Hp) in my 2011 GC Overland when I picked her up a year ago. Coming from a 2004 WJ with the 4.0L i6 (200hp after k&n filter) I expected more out of an additional 160hp, even with a fatter heavier ass on the wk2.

I'm not saying she's a pig, but it seemed like the 360hp was more of a neccesity than a bonus. (Can only imagine how sloth like the 3.6L is)

I also had a '93 ZJ with the 318 / 5.2L back in high school (2001 era). She was sluggish stock too, but after a k&n and dual exhaust she got down and dirty.

So with this wk2 I truly expected more.
Anyway the first mod was the Corsa cat back. I noticed minimal if any true power gains with this. Obviously the note sounds 100% healthier and she doesn't seem to be gasping for air as bad at WOT, but the sensation of being thrown back in the seat just isn't there.

Next I added a K&N cold air intake... NOTHING. Annoyed I swapped to the afe stage 2, and again, notta.

Finally, I bought a DiabloSport Trinity T1000 ... After successfully installing the 93 octane performance tune and running 93 gas... STILL no real power gains.
On paper I should be pushing around 410HP...

My 0-60 times are still identical, and gas mileage is unchanged.

I've sunk almost $1,900 into "cheap" mods hoping to wake this thing up even just a little, and I'm just not seeing or feeling it..

Has anyone else tried these upgrades and can they TRULY, HONESTLY (swear on their mothers grave) say that they've noticed real power gains?

So many people drop a pretty penny on these mods and talk themselves into HP gains that just aren't there. I know my buddy has a 2012 Charger SRT8, ran a Borla exhaust and Predator tune and it seems exactly the same to me but he swears by it...

Any suggestion?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-05-2015, 08:20 PM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3088
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

welcome to the real world of aftermarket performance make believe jargon. it is what it is. you arent going to get noticable high hp gains with a few bolt ons.
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM
ajag's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 669
Thanks: 21
Thanked 132 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 1856
ajag is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

What kind of 0-60 times are you getting with your setup?

I have a 2014 wk2 with the 3.6l and I did a lot of the same stuff as you

Finally I just supercharged it and now I'm pushing 330hp to the wheels and can get 0-60 in 4.9 secs

Seems like a supercharger may be the only way to really get the power gains your seeking

Throw a supercharger on your motor and you'll be in the 425-450hp to the wheels range

Faster by a lot than most srt's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
floon34 is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
welcome to the real world of aftermarket performance make believe jargon. it is what it is. you arent going to get noticable high hp gains with a few bolt ons.

Dissapointing first response but honesty is appreciated nonetheless.

My 5.2L ZJ definitely woke up with the k&n and an exhaust upgrade... (Chopped off the cat and ran dual tips post v-force muffler)

I have some high flow cats I need to have installed (going to run electronic cut outs too)

Maybe the wk2 is just running 99% with the current intake / fuel delivery.


What would be a moderate upgrade to make noticeable gains?

I'm open to anything but internals and a super / turbo charger (still under warranty)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
floon34 is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajag View Post
What kind of 0-60 times are you getting with your setup?

I have a 2014 wk2 with the 3.6l and I did a lot of the same stuff as you

Finally I just supercharged it and now I'm pushing 330hp to the wheels and can get 0-60 in 4.9 secs

Seems like a supercharger may be the only way to really get the power gains your seeking

Throw a supercharger on your motor and you'll be in the 425-450hp to the wheels range

Faster by a lot than most srt's
The 0-60's times are low 6's to high 6's. Occasionally she'll bog and run a low 7... This is stock, with Corsa only, with Corsa and afe intake, with Corsa afe intake and performance tune. I've even run the 87 and 91 performance tunes. Im always in that 0-60 time range.

I wonder if my gear ratio is just piss poor for acceleration. It has the factory towing package, do you or anyone know if having a stock towing package means a low ass gear?

I almost held out for a 2012-2013 to get the 6 speed transmission but read that even though it has 6 gears it only uses 5 (2 and 3 take turns based on acceleration needs) but overall acceleration isn't any different.

Your 2014 has the 8 speed which I KNOW helps with shift points and gets more power on the road through RPM power curve.

Did you notice any real gains before the charger?

I will consider super charging my engine but only after warranty is up.

How many lbs of boost are you running? What do you think I could run w/o having to beef the internals?

I've heard the 5.7L can approach 800 HP before worrying about it coming apart. But how in the hell do you even begin to get there?

Is there a way to increase fuel volume to the engine? Larger pump?

This is getting to the limit of my performance gains knowledge. I'm no gear head and don't want to yank the engine and do all sorts of crap.

But with the quick gains my ZJ saw, and how relatively peppy the 4.0L WJ was, I'm just surprise how sluggish this wk2 is with the largest and highest HP engine I've owned.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,943
Thanks: 417
Thanked 663 Times in 595 Posts
Rep Power: 340007
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floon34 View Post
The 0-60's times are low 6's to high 6's. Occasionally she'll bog and run a low 7... This is stock, with Corsa only, with Corsa and afe intake, with Corsa afe intake and performance tune. I've even run the 87 and 91 performance tunes. Im always in that 0-60 time range.

I wonder if my gear ratio is just piss poor for acceleration. It has the factory towing package, do you or anyone know if having a stock towing package means a low ass gear?

I almost held out for a 2012-2013 to get the 6 speed transmission but read that even though it has 6 gears it only uses 5 (2 and 3 take turns based on acceleration needs) but overall acceleration isn't any different.

Your 2014 has the 8 speed which I KNOW helps with shift points and gets more power on the road through RPM power curve.

Did you notice any real gains before the charger?

I will consider super charging my engine but only after warranty is up.

How many lbs of boost are you running? What do you think I could run w/o having to beef the internals?

I've heard the 5.7L can approach 800 HP before worrying about it coming apart. But how in the hell do you even begin to get there?

Is there a way to increase fuel volume to the engine? Larger pump?

This is getting to the limit of my performance gains knowledge. I'm no gear head and don't want to yank the engine and do all sorts of crap.

But with the quick gains my ZJ saw, and how relatively peppy the 4.0L WJ was, I'm just surprise how sluggish this wk2 is with the largest and highest HP engine I've owned.
well it is a 5200 pound suv, weight will always be the enemy here. yours is a 2011 right? that's got the older 545-RFE trans. not the best out there....however there are things you can do to it. shift kits and upgraded hardware. also look into long tubes if you can and a full tune for it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 PM
ajag's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 669
Thanks: 21
Thanked 132 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 1856
ajag is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Before the supercharger I had the gibson exhaust/Ported throttle body/K&N CAI/ and a couple other things...never had it tuned for those upgrades though...and it was louder and seemed "snappier" but not really any faster

0-60 times didn't improve really...running low 7's

right now I am tuned for 7lbs of boost ...stock the 3.6L puts down around 180HP to the wheels...when I had the supercharger installed I was putting down around 315HP...after a few dyno sessions I got it to 330HP on 7lbs

even the 3.6L setup has a fuel system robust enough to support about 500Hp at the motor and around 395-400HP to the wheels before needing a larger fuel pump.

The stage 2 3.6L RIPP kit will probably need a new fuel pump to support the 400+ AWD WHP its putting out.

GMGC has the stage 2 Rippkit installed on his 2014 3.6L and they had to dial it back to 365AWD WHP because of the fuel delivery system..

on your stock 5.7 there's no way you're running out of fuel...the 5.7 supercharged on 7 lbs of boost nets out over 420-440HP to the wheels...meaning its making well over 500+ hp at the motor on the stock fuel pump..


these supercharger kits use the stock fuel system but do come with larger injectors ....

the supercharger does look cool also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2481.jpg (563.0 KB, 149 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,943
Thanks: 417
Thanked 663 Times in 595 Posts
Rep Power: 340007
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajag View Post
Before the supercharger I had the gibson exhaust/Ported throttle body/K&N CAI/ and a couple other things...never had it tuned for those upgrades though...and it was louder and seemed "snappier" but not really any faster

0-60 times didn't improve really...running low 7's

right now I am tuned for 7lbs of boost ...stock the 3.6L puts down around 180HP to the wheels...when I had the supercharger installed I was putting down around 315HP...after a few dyno sessions I got it to 330HP on 7lbs

even the 3.6L setup has a fuel system robust enough to support about 500Hp at the motor and around 395-400HP tot he wheels before needing a larger fuel pump.

The stage 2 3.6L RIPP kit will probably need a new fuel pump to support the 400+ AWD WHP its putting out.

GMGC has the stage 2 Rippkit installed on his 2014 3.6L and they had to dial it back to 365AWD WHP because of the fuel delivery system..

on your stock 5.7 there's no way you're running out of fuel...the 5.7 supercharged on 7 lbs of boost nets out over 420-440HP to the wheels...meaning its making well over 500+ hp at the motor on the stock fuel pump..
heck if he had to even go up to the srt fuel system

my 08 RWD 3.7 made around 175 at the ground stock, and with all my mods likely sitting around 240ish. I need to get on a dyno soon
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
floon34 is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

I guess my issue is gearing then.

I know she's heavy at 5200lbs.
But power to weight is better than my 04 WJ and I would say they are about the same 0-60.

Long tubes, and shift kits. This is a whole new animal I've never heard of.

I need to go test drive a 2012 or 2013 stock and get a base line.

Thanks for all your suggestions and pointers so far
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 297
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1737
JoeD is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Before I would drop the money on a supercharger I would do a cam swap. The cam isn't that bad to do on the 5.7 hemi, you'll need a tune to take advantage of it but I think it's better than any bolt one that don't really do much anyways.
__________________
2013 WK2 Limited 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 853
Thanks: 23
Thanked 96 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 3043
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floon34 View Post
I guess my issue is gearing then.

I know she's heavy at 5200lbs.
But power to weight is better than my 04 WJ and I would say they are about the same 0-60.

Long tubes, and shift kits. This is a whole new animal I've never heard of.

I need to go test drive a 2012 or 2013 stock and get a base line.

Thanks for all your suggestions and pointers so far
While you're probably not looking to upgrade the whole vehicle...

I strongly suggest you test drive a 2015 V8. I traded up my V8 powered 2012 Overland for a 2015 version. The difference is HUGE. 0-60 times are over a second faster in stock form. The 8-speed transmission is amazing when paired to this V8.

__________________
2015 WK2 Overland 4x4 V8, Granite Exterior/Black Interior, ORA II, Advance Tech Package, Rear Seat DVD/Blu-ray
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snipe315 For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
floon34 is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L Hemi - where's the horsepower hiding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
While you're probably not looking to upgrade the whole vehicle...

I strongly suggest you test drive a 2015 V8. I traded up my V8 powered 2012 Overland for a 2015 version. The difference is HUGE. 0-60 times are over a second faster in stock form. The 8-speed transmission is amazing when paired to this V8.

Yes I know the 8 speed is better at laying down power. But that doesn't solve the seeming lack of acceleration my 2011 has.

In no way in hell would I ever buy a vehicle 1-2 years old. Still way too much devaluation going to happen.

My 2011 was listed as $58,677 on the window sticker. Original owner probably paid $55k out the door, assuming they got a good deal.

I bought it 3 years old for $26,500 out the door.

So someone lost over 50% of the vehicles value in just 3 years.

I just looked up KBB and it's still values around $27k after a year of ownership.

According to the numbers claimed by the manufacturers of my bolt ons I should be around 40-50hp increase. Even modestly / realistically I've got to be 30more horsepower with these add ons ... That should definitely be noticeable.

I don't expect to have a race car or even remotely close to an SRT which is geared for speed. But damn this thing isn't what I expected coming from ZJ and WJ.

I'll post some acceleration videos to see if she is really about as expected or if she maybe has a problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hemi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not hiding - cashing in idea New Members - Welcome! 4 08-12-2012 04:31 PM
Hiding Cables Behind Dash muzicman82 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 4 05-11-2012 01:12 AM
Hiding places...copying from WK thread TJXJWJ Grand Cherokee - WJ 16 03-04-2012 06:04 PM
What is that big plastic cover hiding... BLACK DOG Performance Modifications 8 08-20-2010 03:32 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.