Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM
RedRocker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2178
RedRocker has a reputation beyond reputeRedRocker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post
Missing your point...diesel to ethanol??? Also, the government is your tax dollars, not their dollars. Sorry to have taken this so far off topic.
Yeah, it was a bit of a ramble and after reviewing the snippet of article you posted, doesn't really address the issue. It's a complicated subject, I think I'll quit while I'm behind.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Jim Hef's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 1999 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2269
Jim Hef is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Let's hoist a brew someday and keep this going in some other thread!!!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1614
ostroveni is on a distinguished road
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post
Agreed, and the question that is posed to us. I would prefer advancements of fuel cells, but packaging seems to be the larger problem at this point.

What about this engine:

http://www.fiatgroup.com/en-us/innov...CTCBifuel.aspx

Worldwide, there were 11.2 million natural gas vehicles by 2009, led by Pakistan with 2.4 million, Argentina (1.8 million), Iran (1.7 million), Brazil (1.6 million), and India (725 thousand).[1] with the Asia-Pacific region leading with 5.7 million NGVs, followed by Latin America with almost 4 million vehicles.[1]
CNG cars available in Europe are bi-fuel vehicles burning one fuel at a time. Their engine is a standard gasoline internal combustion engine (ICE). This means that they can indifferently run on either gasoline from a gasoline tank or CNG from a separate cylinder in the trunk. The driver can select what fuel to burn by simply flipping a switch on the dashboard.


"The new Fiat Grande Punto CNG will be the Fiat Punto Car with bi-fuel engine (Petrol/CNG).CNG is cheaper and more eco-freindly fuel option.With the new Fiat Grande Punto CNG you will be able to drive your Punto car for more than 1000km without having to refuel. The boot space of the car is also not compromised with an innovative packaging of the CNG cylinder below the boot.Fiat is leader in CNG Cars technology in Europe.So do not expect anything less from the Fiat Punto’s CNG version."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1545
Brian1f1 is on a distinguished road
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
So... I spoke with a Jeep Customer care rep today.. initially on another question. They checked and called me back. Here's their answer on the E85... that kinda makes some sense. My vehicle is NOT flex fuel capable.... The Pentastar 3.6L FLEX FUEL capable is CARB STATE RESTRICTED. They will not ship the Flexfuel version until November to states noted below. That would make me think the Flex Fuel varint does not meet Calf emissions rules yet. I live in Md. my dealer is in MD. MD is a "Carb State" Anyone have a better handle on this?

Due to its preexisting standards and particularly severe motor vehicle air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards. States following the California standards include Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona (as well as the District of Columbia and Bernalillo County, New Mexico) and are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions since the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.
Is there anything different about the Jeeps being shipped to CARB states? Are they just leaving off the badge and yellow cap because they aren't meeting emissions? I happen to live in PA, and if the only difference is the gas cap I may give it a try some time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 AM
MeanDean's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 166
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1583
MeanDean is on a distinguished road
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostroveni View Post
"...The boot space of the car is also not compromised with an innovative packaging of the CNG cylinder below the boot."
Anyone remember the Pinto?
__________________
2011 WK2 Overland 4x4 w/ QD II, 5.7 Hemi, 730N, Off-road Adventure II, Blackberry
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1628
Angel is on a distinguished road
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Just another argument for choosing E85 capability - they just increased the amount of ethanol in gas in the US from 10% up to 15% and it will further increase in the upcoming years. Given the fact that ethanol burns in higher temperatures it is absolutely recommendable to choose the E85 option.

Angel
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1785
bpmcgee is on a distinguished road
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Just another argument for choosing E85 capability - they just increased the amount of ethanol in gas in the US from 10% up to 15% and it will further increase in the upcoming years. Given the fact that ethanol burns in higher temperatures it is absolutely recommendable to choose the E85 option.

Angel
Technically what they did is made it ALLOWABLE to add up to 15% instead of up to 10%. It remains to be seen how many stations really switch over, because it's only approved for cars 2007 and newer, which means a station would have to have two pumps. For more info:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...cates-protest/

B
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1535
abby will become famous soon enough
E85 capable. The mystery continues

No I still have no plans to use E85 but there are some Pentastar developments worth passing along. A couple of weeks ago I received a call from "Jim" a Jeep Customer Service rep who was following up on some questions I had about the Media Center and about the E85 capable question. Very nice fellow. He said all of the 3.6L's are E85 capable and that certification was coming, I told him I had been told that mine is not labeled or yellow fuel capped and that I had been told it was because I live in Maryland and that the 3.6L ethanol capable was Carb State restricted... and not to be sold in California and 7 other states until it is certified. Hence no labeling as to ethanol. In the Sept engineer's chat I recall it being said that the hardware was the same no matter how they were labeled.

Jim did not go further when I mentioned that. Here's the latest observation from my end. At my dealer in Maryland last week sat a 3.6L GC Limited. The window sticker read Dual Fuel. It had the epa sticker under the hood (Gasoline/ethanol) and had the yellow cap.(No exterior badging) BUT it was originally delivered to a dealer in Chesapeake, Va. Va is NOT a carb state. It was an Inventory DX situation

Some techs are saying they expect a tech clarification may be coming.. with appropriate revision stickers and yellow caps. It would be nice to have some sort of FORMAL verification from Chrysler on this. Anyone out there with a handle on the latest? Anyone with some insight as to future plans?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1327
Willir2 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

I'm running E85 in the JGC 3.6 (yellow cap only), no problems. I'm getting 14.5 in the city and took a trip of about 250 miles and was getting 18.3 on the hwy the whole ride there. Plus E85 is 92 cents cheaper than regular unleaded where I'm at.

Just a fact about E85 - It actually has an octane level of 105 VS regular unlead or 87-89-92.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1437
vikingdave is on a distinguished road
Re: E85 capable questions. Pentastar 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willir2 View Post
I'm running E85 in the JGC 3.6 (yellow cap only), no problems. I'm getting 14.5 in the city and took a trip of about 250 miles and was getting 18.3 on the hwy the whole ride there. Plus E85 is 92 cents cheaper than regular unleaded where I'm at.

Just a fact about E85 - It actually has an octane level of 105 VS regular unlead or 87-89-92.
That's true, but them problem is that 90% of the people out there mistakenly believe that octane is a measure of energy in the fuel, which it absolutely is not. E85 simple contains far less energy per gallon than good old fashioned gasoline. Subsidies do not work, I'll probably catch lots of flack for saying this, but within five years most of the current "Green Energy" subsidies will suffer the same real world fate as ethanol.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Questions jugganator Grand Cherokee - WK 4 07-13-2010 02:10 PM
Pentastar V6 JEEPWK2 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 23 06-23-2010 01:46 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community