Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 PM
bigjgcfan's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 116
Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 12949
bigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond reputebigjgcfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

tuner,
I really cannot understand the hemi sounding like a diesel?
Are you test driving a stock JGC WK2 5.7?

You will not find a quieter exhaust on a hemi engine than stock!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 PM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,050
Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 1159747
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Hemi questions

I don't think the Hemi sounds loud at all. I can't even hear it in my garage when I remote start it when I'm just inside the door.

I've gotten as high as 26 mpg doing 65 mph on the highway, but it usually ends up at 22 mpg by the end of the trip.

I get 15 mpg city driving unless I'm pushing it hard and then it can be as low as 11.5 mpg in the city.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 PM
moosehead's Avatar
Horseshoe for the Donkeys

My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CO Rockies
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 213
Thanked 94 Times in 82 Posts
Rep Power: 1620539
moosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

+10 the stock exhaust on the Hemi is pretty tame. The solid insulation in the WK2 also makes it extremely quiet in-cabin. I can't recall, but somewhere here there is a thread on the WK2's being one of the most quiet interior SUV cabins measured by actual decibel levels while underway. Many of the WK2 SRT8 driver's are looking for more aggressive exhaust notes as well.

My neighbors and surrounding drivers all hear the aggressive Borla exhaust, but that is at the other end of the spectrum.

Many of us were skeptical of the MDS at first, but given the Hemi will get you over 20 mpg on the highway, I'd say it's probably worthwhile. YMMV.
__________________
2011 JGC Oland Hemi / Borla Catback Proto / Hemifever Tune on DS Trinity / Flyin Ryan PTB / Volant CAI / Bwoody Sway Links / BT Catch Can & Underhood Kit / Jon's Tinted Tails / SRT8 Hood, Steering Wheel, Shiftknob, Pedals / Firestone Dest AT's & Winter 18's / Focal 165 Component Fronts, Alpine PDX 5 Amp, Rockford Fosgate P3 10" Sub & Fiberglass Enclosure / PS2 Grill, Mirrors & Liftgate Strip / Tow Hooks & Skids / JW Speaker LED Foglights / Debadged, Tint, Clear Bra / Sharkfin / Vled & Putco LED's / JRoll Uber-Tech Cabin Filter / RA & Yak Roof Rack / Lit Sills, Slush & Cargo Mats
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Avon, CT USA
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1338
PECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

The HEMI sounds like a diesel to me, too. It chugs like an early 80s Mercedes Benz diesel, although it's a lot faster. It doesn't sound too loud to me, though, especially when compared to my wife's last car, which was a 2005 Infiniti FX35. I could hear that car coming down the road from 1/4 mile away.

I'm getting 13 to 16 mpg with my HEMI in hilly central Connecticut during local driving. Although the MDS kicks in sometimes during local driving, it only seems to have a real impact on my mileage during highway driving. I managed to raise my average mileage on the EVIC to 20 mpg during a long road trip, but it quickly dropped back down to 15 mpg when I resumed my normal local driving routine.
__________________
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 5.7L ORAII Mineral Gray Dark/Light Frost Beige
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 444
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 20784
nyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond reputenyc_medic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

Ok I just bought a 2005 hemi and I'm getting 10-12 city and about 14-15 on the highway My questions to you tuner is: Are you worried about the mileage your gonna get? Do you tow anything? If you dont tow anything maybe the hemi isn't for you. If your worried about miles per gallon maybe the hemi isn't for you. If your worried about it sounding loud maybe the hemi isn't for you. Seems to me that the HEMI ISN'T for YOU. You should probably stick with the luxury cars that you dont seem to worry about. Just My $0.02 cents.

By the way you came here asking a question which is why this forum is here, but if you can't take some joking around comment I guess the HEMi and this forum ISN'T FOR YOU. Everyone on this forum so far since I have joined has been more than helpful. You should go look at what the luxury cars have for you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 AM
armoredsaint's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 234300
armoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Chill out man, it is all in good fun. Obviously the 5.7L WK2 isn't for you and maybe you would be better off sticking to the offerings on the Benz lot...

As far as a simple answer to your MPG question: 15-17 around town and 19-21 on the interstate.

+1
seriously, i've never been in any car/suv forum with so many sensitive and easily butthurt people. a jeep forum would be the last place i would've have guessed... you would think this is a Prius forum

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 AM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,050
Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 1159747
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Hemi questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
+1
seriously, i've never been in any car/suv forum with so many sensitive and easily butthurt people. a jeep forum would be the last place i would've have guessed... you would think this is a Prius forum

Hey armoredsaint,

When are you getting a Grand Cherokee? Which trim level, options, and exterior/interior color combos are you considering?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 AM
armoredsaint's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 234300
armoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond reputearmoredsaint has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
Hey armoredsaint,

When are you getting a Grand Cherokee? Which trim level, options, and exterior/interior color combos are you considering?
is this nbt?

i almost got it 2 weeks ago, but had some minor concerns on reliability and QC issues - i think i will wait till early spring? i do enjoy the research and reading other's opinions.

i do like the mineral gray or brilliant black in either saddle or black interior, hemi v8 overland but i've been thinking about getting another BMW, the 535i M-Sport also
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-22-2012, 12:55 AM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,050
Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 1159747
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Hemi questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
is this nbt?

i almost got it 2 weeks ago, but had some minor concerns on reliability and QC issues - i think i will wait till early spring? i do enjoy the research and reading other's opinions.

i do like the mineral gray or brilliant black in either saddle or black interior, hemi v8 overland but i've been thinking about getting another BMW, the 535i M-Sport also
not nbt. I just remember your posts because I'm on here reading everything all of the time. I spent over a year before I bought my 2012 Overland V8 Brilliant Black with beige interior. I had concerns too is why I waited for the 2012. I love my color choice too, but sometimes wish I would have got black interior but I don't like the look of the brown wood with the black interior very much. Wanted a black interior with real black wood (like the Summit) has but they only offer the Summit in saddle. I also wanted polished 20s like the Summit but then decided that wasn't important and actually like the 20s on my Overland better now. Mineral gray was my 2nd choice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 858
tuner088 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hemi questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjgcfan View Post
tuner,
I really cannot understand the hemi sounding like a diesel?
Are you test driving a stock JGC WK2 5.7?

You will not find a quieter exhaust on a hemi engine than stock!
Yes, all stock '12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
I don't think the Hemi sounds loud at all. I can't even hear it in my garage when I remote start it when I'm just inside the door.

I've gotten as high as 26 mpg doing 65 mph on the highway, but it usually ends up at 22 mpg by the end of the trip.

I get 15 mpg city driving unless I'm pushing it hard and then it can be as low as 11.5 mpg in the city.
I can remote start it and hear it idling in my driveway from the back of my house, on the 2nd floor, in my game room. I'm not so much as complaining or anything, just that with some cars you can actually change idling conditions. I have a modded Supra that I can change the idling sound by adjusting the tune, cams, etc. I thought maybe there was a way with the Hemi as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
+10 the stock exhaust on the Hemi is pretty tame. The solid insulation in the WK2 also makes it extremely quiet in-cabin. I can't recall, but somewhere here there is a thread on the WK2's being one of the most quiet interior SUV cabins measured by actual decibel levels while underway. Many of the WK2 SRT8 driver's are looking for more aggressive exhaust notes as well.

My neighbors and surrounding drivers all hear the aggressive Borla exhaust, but that is at the other end of the spectrum.

Many of us were skeptical of the MDS at first, but given the Hemi will get you over 20 mpg on the highway, I'd say it's probably worthwhile. YMMV.
I'm a bit skeptical of the MDS right now, even with me keeping the ECO light on, I don't get higher then like 12 mpg after 100 miles of easy driving. No stop and go all 35-45 mph no traffic zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PECo View Post
The HEMI sounds like a diesel to me, too. It chugs like an early 80s Mercedes Benz diesel, although it's a lot faster. It doesn't sound too loud to me, though, especially when compared to my wife's last car, which was a 2005 Infiniti FX35. I could hear that car coming down the road from 1/4 mile away.

I'm getting 13 to 16 mpg with my HEMI in hilly central Connecticut during local driving. Although the MDS kicks in sometimes during local driving, it only seems to have a real impact on my mileage during highway driving. I managed to raise my average mileage on the EVIC to 20 mpg during a long road trip, but it quickly dropped back down to 15 mpg when I resumed my normal local driving routine.
Finally someone that can agree lol. I thought that the MDS would grant better mpg, since it is actually deactivating 4 cylinders, so I would think it would get a bit closer to the V6 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_medic View Post
Ok I just bought a 2005 hemi and I'm getting 10-12 city and about 14-15 on the highway My questions to you tuner is: Are you worried about the mileage your gonna get? Do you tow anything? If you dont tow anything maybe the hemi isn't for you. If your worried about miles per gallon maybe the hemi isn't for you. If your worried about it sounding loud maybe the hemi isn't for you. Seems to me that the HEMI ISN'T for YOU. You should probably stick with the luxury cars that you dont seem to worry about. Just My $0.02 cents.

By the way you came here asking a question which is why this forum is here, but if you can't take some joking around comment I guess the HEMi and this forum ISN'T FOR YOU. Everyone on this forum so far since I have joined has been more than helpful. You should go look at what the luxury cars have for you.
It's not really about the jokes, but if you're going to joke with someone at least make sure it's not taken as being made fun of.

Also thanks for the slightly helpful advice, it wasn't really what I was looking for, but it was noted. Although I'm perfectly capable of deciding on what type of vehicle that I'm looking for, and since I'm looking at a Jeep, there is a reason behind it.

I'm a little worried about mpg, but I know it's a "Jeep", so I don't expect too great of gas milage. I'm looking to pick up a 4400lb camper, and tow it a couple of times a year. I can either grab the V8 I'm driving now, or opt for a V6. I like the power of the V8, I just wouldn't mind it being a bit more settled.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Avon, CT USA
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1338
PECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond reputePECo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner088 View Post
I thought that the MDS would grant better mpg, since it is actually deactivating 4 cylinders, so I would think it would get a bit closer to the V6 mpg.
* * *
I'm a little worried about mpg, but I know it's a "Jeep", so I don't expect too great of gas milage. I'm looking to pick up a 4400lb camper, and tow it a couple of times a year. I can either grab the V8 I'm driving now, or opt for a V6. I like the power of the V8, I just wouldn't mind it being a bit more settled.
I think that Jeep doesn't have the fuel economy/performance equation quite right, yet. The thinking behind the Pentastar V6 is sound, but the current engine simply isn't powerful enough. A 5,000+ pound car needs more than 300 HP and 300 lb ft of torque. And closer to 400 for each would be even better. That's why I got the HEMI. But taking a powerful engine and trying to make it economical with a cylinder displacement system isn't as effective as taking an economical engine and making it more powerful with forced induction and direct injection.

That said, though, I like the way that the HEMI performs, because the power is always there. And although I'm not a fan of loud exhaust systems, I don't need Lexus quiet, either. I'm really enjoying my 2012 Overland 4x4 HEMI and would recommend it to anyone who intends to tow loads up hills. I'm still knocking on the real wood trim and crossing my fingers, and I haven't had ANY problems with my Jeep. At all. Really.
__________________
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 5.7L ORAII Mineral Gray Dark/Light Frost Beige
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: perry hall, maryland
Posts: 400
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1474
peckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond reputepeckmv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hemi questions

Tuner,

If you plan on towing a 4400 lb load, then its a no brainer. You need a V8. Weither it be the hemi or some other product. This is a must if some of that towing involves hills or mountains. I know the V6 has a max of 5000 lbs but as a rule of thumb I would never exceed 80% of max load. Gas mileage is really a secondary thing with the JGC because its a 4X4 and they generally suck for gas mileage due to the drive system. If you don't plan on going off-road then you could consider the 2X4 option. The whole purpose of the MDS was to satisfy the government and thier demand for one size fits all gas mileage requirements. The car manufacturers are trying to please the customer and thier needs and still fill the adverage mpg law that the Fed has imposed.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GC Overland Hemi . . . Purchase Questions MikeBoom Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 24 02-22-2012 12:52 PM
My impression of the Hemi now vs my old ('05) Hemi BuckeyeSRT Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 02-06-2012 10:40 AM
5.7L HEMI Exhaust questions Unholyskorn86 Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 11 08-16-2011 08:10 PM
The difference in the 1st generation HEMI to the new 2nd generation HEMI White WK Swagga Grand Cherokee - WK 2 07-08-2010 11:16 AM
Difference in GC Hemi and Ram Hemi?? HemiDawg Grand Cherokee - WK 12 05-13-2010 11:52 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community