Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM
FAUEE's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 941
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 4546
FAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

I had an Explorer XLT for a rental a few weeks back. It's nice, but a very different vehicle.

It's very comfortable, if you're buying it for a family it's great. If you don't need the 3rd row, it's rather big. The seats are soft and comfortable on long trips, but they're not very pretty - they're like that comfortable old recliner that just doesn't look good in your living room so you put it in the basement.

The MyFordTouch is neat. The big screen is nice, but the software has some lag to it (being a rental I'm sure it doesn't have the latest software updates which supposedly help a LOT - a coworker has an Edge Sport and he said the updates fixed the lag on his MFT completely). The side menus are also neat, but sort of... pointless. I found myself leaving it on the tech/gas combo on the left ad using the right to control the audio and such in limited amounts.

The 3.5L is a good engine, torquey for what it is, but make no mistake, the Explorer is no speed demon. I suspect that people who are just commuting would have no issue with it or the 2L Ecoboost, and the new Explorer Sport offers the 3.5L Ecoboost if you want more power. FWIW, the Ecoboost F150 is the fastest truck you can buy right now.

The Explorer I drove got 25 mpg highway driving across the Appalachians. Not bad for moving at 75ish with a decent amount of gear. Outward visibility wasn't bad either, but the little mirror insert annoyed me.

The interior was ergonomic and functional, soft touch stuff everywhere. It lacked the leather dash and door tops of my Overland, but it compares very well to a Limited level GC, it's interior is really in between a Limited and an Overland in terms of materials and quality.

If I had a need for a 3rd row, I'd consider an Explorer for sure. Especially if they made a Lincoln version of it (that isn't the MKT which needs to look more like the Explorer in the back 1/4 of it).

Truth be told, the Edge/MKX is more comparable to the GC. I considered an MKX or Edge Sport, but the Edge didn't have some of the features I wanted, and I liked the interior of the MKX a little less than my JGC Overland. Features wise, the MFT is nice, but not a huge deal. The 3.5L in those is very adequate, never feels out of breath, but never feels powerful either. The fuel economy is pretty decently better than the JGC, my parents have an MKX and they routinely get 17/25 out of it - Marginally better than the 14/22 I tend to get in my JGC, and only slightly worse than the 18/28 Our Outlander V6 gets.

FWIW, they've put 80k on their MKX without any issues, and the interior somehow still looks and feels great despite being driven and abused mostly by my mother and sister. The only issue they've had is having to replace tires every 25-30k, but they have 20s, the first set were OEM Pirellis, then they used a set of terrible Falkens, they're on Yokohama Parada Spec Xs now, and they seem to like them a lot more.

The other vehicle that I really compared to before I bought my JGC was the RX350. If you're looking at things that compete with the JGC, you can't ignore it. It's a paragon of residuals and reliability, and is insanely comfortable and efficient. My biggest issue with it was the sloping rear glass meant the doggy lost a lot of space (cargo space too... but mostly for the doggy's sake), and honestly it's more of an appliance feeling vehicle, it doesn't pull at your heart strings like the JGC did for me or the MKX does. It's just this great luxury vehicle you drive to work in and really never notice.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 499
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 31577
77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
I had an Explorer XLT for a rental a few weeks back. It's nice, but a very different vehicle.

It's very comfortable, if you're buying it for a family it's great. If you don't need the 3rd row, it's rather big. The seats are soft and comfortable on long trips, but they're not very pretty - they're like that comfortable old recliner that just doesn't look good in your living room so you put it in the basement.

The MyFordTouch is neat. The big screen is nice, but the software has some lag to it (being a rental I'm sure it doesn't have the latest software updates which supposedly help a LOT - a coworker has an Edge Sport and he said the updates fixed the lag on his MFT completely). The side menus are also neat, but sort of... pointless. I found myself leaving it on the tech/gas combo on the left ad using the right to control the audio and such in limited amounts.

The 3.5L is a good engine, torquey for what it is, but make no mistake, the Explorer is no speed demon. I suspect that people who are just commuting would have no issue with it or the 2L Ecoboost, and the new Explorer Sport offers the 3.5L Ecoboost if you want more power. FWIW, the Ecoboost F150 is the fastest truck you can buy right now.

The Explorer I drove got 25 mpg highway driving across the Appalachians. Not bad for moving at 75ish with a decent amount of gear. Outward visibility wasn't bad either, but the little mirror insert annoyed me.

The interior was ergonomic and functional, soft touch stuff everywhere. It lacked the leather dash and door tops of my Overland, but it compares very well to a Limited level GC, it's interior is really in between a Limited and an Overland in terms of materials and quality.

If I had a need for a 3rd row, I'd consider an Explorer for sure. Especially if they made a Lincoln version of it (that isn't the MKT which needs to look more like the Explorer in the back 1/4 of it).

Truth be told, the Edge/MKX is more comparable to the GC. I considered an MKX or Edge Sport, but the Edge didn't have some of the features I wanted, and I liked the interior of the MKX a little less than my JGC Overland. Features wise, the MFT is nice, but not a huge deal. The 3.5L in those is very adequate, never feels out of breath, but never feels powerful either. The fuel economy is pretty decently better than the JGC, my parents have an MKX and they routinely get 17/25 out of it - Marginally better than the 14/22 I tend to get in my JGC, and only slightly worse than the 18/28 Our Outlander V6 gets.

FWIW, they've put 80k on their MKX without any issues, and the interior somehow still looks and feels great despite being driven and abused mostly by my mother and sister. The only issue they've had is having to replace tires every 25-30k, but they have 20s, the first set were OEM Pirellis, then they used a set of terrible Falkens, they're on Yokohama Parada Spec Xs now, and they seem to like them a lot more.

The other vehicle that I really compared to before I bought my JGC was the RX350. If you're looking at things that compete with the JGC, you can't ignore it. It's a paragon of residuals and reliability, and is insanely comfortable and efficient. My biggest issue with it was the sloping rear glass meant the doggy lost a lot of space (cargo space too... but mostly for the doggy's sake), and honestly it's more of an appliance feeling vehicle, it doesn't pull at your heart strings like the JGC did for me or the MKX does. It's just this great luxury vehicle you drive to work in and really never notice.
I just did a little reading on the 3.5 Ecoboost being available in the Explorer. I will be calling the local Ford dealer today to see when they come out. The website says Fall of 2012.

If Dodge would quit being d__ks about programming and let the aftermarket mod, it would make my decision harder. As of now, I would trade my Jeep in for the Explorer in a heartbeat.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM
FAUEE's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 941
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 4546
FAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
I just did a little reading on the 3.5 Ecoboost being available in the Explorer. I will be calling the local Ford dealer today to see when they come out. The website says Fall of 2012.

If Dodge would quit being d__ks about programming and let the aftermarket mod, it would make my decision harder. As of now, I would trade my Jeep in for the Explorer in a heartbeat.
I'm sure Ford and others will be following suit soon. It will depends on how denying warranty claims based off logging performance modifications goes over.

I built and priced an Explorer Sport to be roughly equivalent to my Overland. It was over $50k. It starts at $40k. That's a lot of cash for a vehicle that frankly isn't as luxurious, and honestly at that price point I'd be looking at a used WK2 SRT8. Or a Durango R/T and saving like $15k.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 849
Thanks: 19
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 43918
JeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

@77rednecktruck, when did you start not liking the tuning/programming of your WK2? I just want to make sure I "evaluate" the WK2 well enough before I buy so I'm not in your same situation...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 499
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 31577
77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers View Post
@77rednecktruck, when did you start not liking the tuning/programming of your WK2? I just want to make sure I "evaluate" the WK2 well enough before I buy so I'm not in your same situation...
It always had the crappy shifting and dead spots on acceleration. I had the TSB's applied with no change. I figured out that sand mode doesn't shudder from a stop like the auto and sport mode do but it shakes more after 40mph. So I start in sand mode and go to auto at about 30. It's a damn joke.

Tow/haul shifts and downshifts like it is supposed to do normally but the shudder is still there.

If tuning was available, it would fix this but Dodge is too worried about warranties or some other BS that none of the other manufacturers seem to worry about.

I also thought the basketball dribbling sound from the front end would go away after the stock tires were replaced but wrong again. It it still loud when going over bumps, and again, the dealer has no idea and says everything is fine. I just wish something would break so it can finally be fixed. If a shock fell off, hopefully the dealer would be able to diagnose that (I do not have 100% faith they would even find that though) and correct it. Or maybe if the driveshaft or torque converter flew into 100 pieces, they would replace it and fix the shudder issue (I think the shudder is software but you get my point ).

I really like the vehicle it just has some very annoying things about it. If the annoying things were not often used (Like the retarded cd changer on my Fusion or the stupid seat adjustment that broke) it would be a different story. Shifting and dead spots on acceleration happen a lot more than changing a cd. I understand every car has faults but Dodge dealers seem to care less about those problems.

I recently took my Fusion in for a check engine light. Not only did they fix the transmission pressure valve (the reason for the light) they also replaced the CV boots because they were ripped, the passenger side axle (because of the boot), and they noticed the car running "cool" and found the thermostat was stuck open. Dodge dealers cannot even fix the first problem, let alone go over the rest of the car and correct other issues. Ford covered all of those repairs under my $50 copay for the warranty and gave me a brand new 2012 Fusion to drive while my 07 was in the shop.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 849
Thanks: 19
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 43918
JeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond reputeJeepersCreepers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

I'd be getting a 2013 and the 3.6L.

I read somewhere that someone said that a Jeep/Chrysler customer service rep said that a software update is apparently coming out around November/December. Perhaps Milous can confirm/deny and if it does come out it'll fix at least some of the issues you're experiencing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM
JTS97Z28's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 1,449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 25123
JTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JTS97Z28
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Even though the Exploder has grown on me slightly (atleast the higher end version), I still MUCH prefer the Overland over it. I have never driven the Explorer so cant comment on anything about that. One thing to this day that I still cant comprehend what Ford was thinking is this....
It was the 2011 Chicago Auto Show (largest show in the world). I was excited to see the new WK2 and new Explorer so I obviously made it a priority to stop at both displays. I will NEVER forget what Ford had setup there. All I can say is I hope that the person that was in charge of Ford's new Explorer display is no longer employed by them. Jeep as usual had an incredible display.
Ford's Explorer display consisted of (without exaggeration) a blocked off area with a few 2x4's laying on the ground to drive over and a small pile of sand in one corner. I have a picture to prove it!!!!! How did someone at Ford say hey lets make a display for our new car and show people that it can drive over a small piece of wood, and then to make it even better throw some sand in the corner.
Pictures dont lie ;-)


Ford's brand new Explorer display!! you F'ing kidding me? LOL





Jeep's Grand Cherokee display. This is only a tiny section of it!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 622
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1782
eibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond reputeeibyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Oh wow, that is not even fair LOL. The explorer display is like a mall parking lot after a haboob in AZ . I have to admit that we looked at the Explorer, Durango and the Jeep as candidates for our purchase.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 3062
jp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
It always had the crappy shifting and dead spots on acceleration. I had the TSB's applied with no change. I figured out that sand mode doesn't shudder from a stop like the auto and sport mode do but it shakes more after 40mph. So I start in sand mode and go to auto at about 30. It's a damn joke.

Tow/haul shifts and downshifts like it is supposed to do normally but the shudder is still there.

If tuning was available, it would fix this but Dodge is too worried about warranties or some other BS that none of the other manufacturers seem to worry about.

I also thought the basketball dribbling sound from the front end would go away after the stock tires were replaced but wrong again. It it still loud when going over bumps, and again, the dealer has no idea and says everything is fine. I just wish something would break so it can finally be fixed. If a shock fell off, hopefully the dealer would be able to diagnose that (I do not have 100% faith they would even find that though) and correct it. Or maybe if the driveshaft or torque converter flew into 100 pieces, they would replace it and fix the shudder issue (I think the shudder is software but you get my point ).

I really like the vehicle it just has some very annoying things about it. If the annoying things were not often used (Like the retarded cd changer on my Fusion or the stupid seat adjustment that broke) it would be a different story. Shifting and dead spots on acceleration happen a lot more than changing a cd. I understand every car has faults but Dodge dealers seem to care less about those problems.

I recently took my Fusion in for a check engine light. Not only did they fix the transmission pressure valve (the reason for the light) they also replaced the CV boots because they were ripped, the passenger side axle (because of the boot), and they noticed the car running "cool" and found the thermostat was stuck open. Dodge dealers cannot even fix the first problem, let alone go over the rest of the car and correct other issues. Ford covered all of those repairs under my $50 copay for the warranty and gave me a brand new 2012 Fusion to drive while my 07 was in the shop.

Why do you keep calling it a Dodge? Its a Jeep and the company is Chrysler not Dodge. If you are getting a shudder something is wrong and I don't think its programming. I also happen to have a 2011 Fusion that I use for work. Ford also has had its share of problems with that 6F transmission. Mine will slip from 2 to 3rd when its cold out. I took it in once when it was new and they said it was normal "shift flare" when cold.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Deception's Avatar
Imported From Detroit

My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 433
Thanks: 18
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 5893
Deception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond reputeDeception has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

I remember reading earlier on the forums about how the new Ford Explorer was rated the worst due to the fact that the MyFord Touch lagged like crazy and people couldn't stand the touch sensitive buttons.
__________________

Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
Black/Saddle Brown
Stealthbox/PDX-V9/Focal Audio
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 3062
jp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Go look at the Motor Trend review of the Explorer EcoBoost. I believe it can be viewed on youtube.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 499
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 31577
77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep GC 3.6 or Ford Explorer 3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp467 View Post
Why do you keep calling it a Dodge? Its a Jeep and the company is Chrysler not Dodge. If you are getting a shudder something is wrong and I don't think its programming. I also happen to have a 2011 Fusion that I use for work. Ford also has had its share of problems with that 6F transmission. Mine will slip from 2 to 3rd when its cold out. I took it in once when it was new and they said it was normal "shift flare" when cold.
OK, same difference.

I do agree all cars have issues, Ford dealers (in my area) are light years ahead of the Jeep (there, does that make you happy) dealers as far as service and support.

The shudder is programming, it does not shudder from a stop in sand mode but does in auto and sport. It does it at ~40mph with light throttle in all modes though. I don't use snow mode, starting in 2nd sucks. I am pretty sure Jeep hired a 3 year old to program the vehicle.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYI - Ford Explorer vs. GC review 2011RitterGC Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 49 02-22-2011 09:03 AM
WK2 versus Ford Explorer ftffom Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 20 12-18-2010 11:20 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community