Mopar CAI vs. K&N - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,967
Thanks: 417
Thanked 664 Times in 596 Posts
Rep Power: 340067
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL View Post
^ This guy again. I never said that an "exhaust does nothing". It varies on the application.
I'm guessing you may sure all variables were the same in your testing too?

[*] Fuel in the car fuel tank[*] External air temperature[*] Engine temperature inside the car[*] Race track surface[*] Condition of car race track surface[*] Barometric pressure[*]Humidity[*] Variances between driving styles

It's not as easy as throwing a mod on your car and driving down your local track. I can't believe I'm explaining this to someone who claims to be a "mechanic". You'll continue to argue because you don't understand and I state facts and walk away because there's nothing more to be said.
So continue...
So what experience do you have guy? You keep questioning me but what have you done? And claim to be a mechanic. Hey go Google what 91B is. WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC!

and yes, I do check DA, I do run a full tank every time I run and I do maintain the same operating temps. I even launch at the same 2500 rpms every time.

__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 09-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,967
Thanks: 417
Thanked 664 Times in 596 Posts
Rep Power: 340067
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
What is this then? This is you saying it does nothing....



ForumRunner_20150919_165539.png

So tell me again how you think it does nothing
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strongjeff For This Useful Post:
  #39  
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Keysplayr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 115
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 870
Keysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Mopar CAI vs. K&N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
What is this then? This is you saying it does nothing....



Attachment 60582

So tell me again how you think it does nothing
That is a stretch Jeff. You took it out of context. He did say it depends on the application and putting an SRT exhaust on another application MIGHT NOT always yield more horsepower. It may in fact reduce needed backpressure and might actually hamper performance.

Just listen to the man. He is making perfectly fine sense with his list. There are far to many variables on a track. Your best bet is to dyno in a controlled environment. Far less variables.

He never directly said that exhausts do not improve performance. Not even close. If he did say it somewhere, you need to find a far better example in the proper context.
__________________
-Anthony
'15 Laredo Custom
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,967
Thanks: 417
Thanked 664 Times in 596 Posts
Rep Power: 340067
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post

That is a stretch Jeff. You took it out of context. He did say it depends on the application and putting an SRT exhaust on another application MIGHT NOT always yield more horsepower. It may in fact reduce needed backpressure and might actually hamper performance.

Just listen to the man. He is making perfectly fine sense with his list. There are far to many variables on a track. Your best bet is to dyno in a controlled environment. Far less variables.

He never directly said that exhausts do not improve performance. Not even close. If he did say it somewhere, you need to find a far better example in the proper context.
Actually it was in context because it was posted in an SRT related thread. I have fully developed my exhaust and have tons of track data to prove so. And a dyno shop is also effected by temperatures as well. Only difference is your taking out traction as a variable.

He was attacking me for saying that the stock srt exhaust would make a good upgrade to a stock V6. That was my first comment in that thread. He came on saying there is no benefit when in all actuality there is.


But if your gonna defend him then I suggest you go read the whole story.

He also needs to stop questioning my abilities as a mechanic. That's a personal attack on me
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Keysplayr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 115
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 870
Keysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Mopar CAI vs. K&N

Its only a personal attack if you choose to take it as such. It might help if you were to post the tons of data you said you have.
But, im finding that people dont take kindly on this forum when you ask them to confirm their claims with evidence. They automatically think that the person asking the questions is calling the other a liar or that they are full of it. Just want data. Because anyone can say anything they want on the net. Right?
Anyway, i dont take sides.
__________________
-Anthony
'15 Laredo Custom
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 PM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3124
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mopar CAI vs. K&N

i have the K&N fitted to my 5.7, i run a workshop and dont believe any gains are noticable, however it gives a nice growl with a bootful, one thing i did notice the intake temps are higher than the outside airtemps and climb rapidly when you stop. i wish i now logged this before i fitted it to see if any differences between the two. maybe someone with the oem intake and a ob2 reader can check, theres about a 5deg difference but this also changes depending how hot the outside temp is.
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,967
Thanks: 417
Thanked 664 Times in 596 Posts
Rep Power: 340067
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
Its only a personal attack if you choose to take it as such. It might help if you were to post the tons of data you said you have.
But, im finding that people dont take kindly on this forum when you ask them to confirm their claims with evidence. They automatically think that the person asking the questions is calling the other a liar or that they are full of it. Just want data. Because anyone can say anything they want on the net. Right?
Anyway, i dont take sides.
Let me ask you this. When was the last time you fabricated your own exhaust and seen improvement in drag times and mph? And then have some jackwagon tell you that you don't know whats involved with a custom exhaust. I've been thru 8 different setups. I've seen increases and decreases so I think I know what I'm doing.

Also he needs to learn the difference between a mechanic and a tuner.

Mechanics (what I am) are responsible for the build. A tuner ( not me) optimizes the tune to take advantage of what the mechanic build.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-23-2015, 12:11 AM
SilverBillet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 2
Thanked 456 Times in 311 Posts
Rep Power: 32644
SilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Mopar CAI vs. K&N

Someone call Borla and tell them to fire their engineers and R&D team.
Your average Joe shade tree mechanic is all they really need.

See what I mean about not understanding?
You can rant and rave, use profanity, and call people names but in the end you won't beat the facts.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Keysplayr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 115
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 870
Keysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Mopar CAI vs. K&N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
Let me ask you this. When was the last time you fabricated your own exhaust and seen improvement in drag times and mph? And then have some jackwagon tell you that you don't know whats involved with a custom exhaust. I've been thru 8 different setups. I've seen increases and decreases so I think I know what I'm doing.

Also he needs to learn the difference between a mechanic and a tuner.

Mechanics (what I am) are responsible for the build. A tuner ( not me) optimizes the tune to take advantage of what the mechanic build.
That's just the thing. I can answer your question by saying I build 3 custom exhaust systems per day and tell you that all of them give performance gains that are noticeable at the track. Couldn't I..
What the hell is a jackwagon? I thought you didn't like personal attacks? Yet you can dole them out? Well, that's not very fair and balanced of you is it?

Now finally, you say you've been through 8 different setups. Increases and decreases, that is super!






Now how about some numbers... Not just off the top of your head numbers, but time slip numbers. Because I can guarantee you the SRT exhaust I just modified and put on my chevy sprint will beat yours.
__________________
-Anthony
'15 Laredo Custom
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,967
Thanks: 417
Thanked 664 Times in 596 Posts
Rep Power: 340067
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post

That's just the thing. I can answer your question by saying I build 3 custom exhaust systems per day and tell you that all of them give performance gains that are noticeable at the track. Couldn't I..
What the hell is a jackwagon? I thought you didn't like personal attacks? Yet you can dole them out? Well, that's not very fair and balanced of you is it?

Now finally, you say you've been through 8 different setups. Increases and decreases, that is super!

Now how about some numbers... Not just off the top of your head numbers, but time slip numbers. Because I can guarantee you the SRT exhaust I just modified and put on my chevy sprint will beat yours.
And you say you don't take sides. Screw you guys.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-27-2015, 12:22 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
JEEPER_CREEPER is on a distinguished road
Re: Mopar CAI vs. K&N

Watch "2011 Grand Jeep Cherokee with Mopar cold air intake 3.6L" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/yRYIM0TR5lg

Mopar since its known brand for jeep. Kn is also good since it does the same job. Plus you save a hundred.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Raptor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 785
Thanks: 7
Thanked 60 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 328608
Raptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mopar CAI vs. K&N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
ImpOster, don't worry about what mofsteel says, he's full of crap. Me and him go into an argument about exhaust systems. The guy thinks an exhaust does nothing too and tried to tell me that I didn't pick up speed in the 1/8th when I have the time slips to prove it. I've ran the track after every mod I've done
Actually MOFSTEEL unlike the many K&N fanbois that post here is right on the money about the K&N CAI.

It will not increase performance by itself without other mods. AND your OEM engine management computer will negate the effects of the slightly increased airflow after a couple of weeks. The OEM tune will adjust the fuel and ignition curves back to OEM parameters as designed.

To realize any noticeable gains w/a quality CAI...... improved exhaust flow to go along with that improved intake flow must be coupled w/ a good tuner to change fuel and ignition curves to suit the increased airflow.

Lets also not forget K&N's oiled cotton gauze CAI filters while they do
increase airflow, also allow more dirt and fine particulate into your engine
than an OEM paper filter or an aftermarket synthetic media filter.

This has all been covered before;

CAI - Does it help??

Love my new K&N 63 Series

K&N Series 63 intake impressions
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cai

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mopar cai vs k&n cai dom1220 Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 2 10-21-2014 10:42 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.