New 2017 pinging? - Page 5 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 10-01-2016, 08:23 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,236
Thanks: 672
Thanked 926 Times in 737 Posts
Rep Power: 1804900
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Our dealer has us getting oil changes every 5000 miles, is that what your's does or is it 3000?

I had to go check our paperwork, definitely says 5000 first oil change.
Your Jeep should tell you. In the EVIC you should be able to see % of oil life left. It will probably call for an oil change between 7,500 and 10,000 miles.

You can change it more often of course. But I wouldn't trust a dealer that is telling you anything less than 5,000 or 6 months.

If you register your Summit at User Connect you get 2 free oil changes a year for 2 years. The Jeep Wave program is still in effect. About a week after I registered I got a phone call (went to voice mail) from a real person welcoming me and asking if I had any questions.

--

---

__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #50  
Old 10-01-2016, 11:50 AM
hdrolling's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Grays Creek, NC
Posts: 229
Thanks: 2
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 322
hdrolling is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Your Jeep should tell you. In the EVIC you should be able to see % of oil life left. It will probably call for an oil change between 7,500 and 10,000 miles.

You can change it more often of course. But I wouldn't trust a dealer that is telling you anything less than 5,000 or 6 months.

If you register your Summit at User Connect you get 2 free oil changes a year for 2 years. The Jeep Wave program is still in effect. About a week after I registered I got a phone call (went to voice mail) from a real person welcoming me and asking if I had any questions.

--

---
On my UConnect page it says next service due at 10,000 miles, but the service plan we purchased when we bought our jeep says every 5000.

I still can't figure out the jeep wave, every time I try to go to the page it just takes me back to the jeep mopar page under the "care" tab?
__________________
2017 WK2 Summit, 4WD, 3.6 L, Rear DVD, Velvet Red, Dark Sienna Brown/Black Interior. Tazer, SB
Retired Army, Airborne Infantry (NH Native)
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-01-2016, 12:34 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,236
Thanks: 672
Thanked 926 Times in 737 Posts
Rep Power: 1804900
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
On my UConnect page it says next service due at 10,000 miles, but the service plan we purchased when we bought our jeep says every 5000.

I still can't figure out the jeep wave, every time I try to go to the page it just takes me back to the jeep mopar page under the "care" tab?
They just updated the Owner's Website, and as is typical Jeep it is all screwed up. Before the update it showed my MaxCare plan, now it tells me to buy one. They are very gradually getting it straightened out. I contacted them through the contact page to ask if they were still waving. That's when I heard back from Krista and after couple of contacts she said my vehicle is on the account.

It shows I've been a member of the wave since 2010 and membership expires 2018. I get 2 oil changes and tire rotations per year, first day car rental, there is a 24 hour customer care # and a couple of other things.

When I bought my MaxCare at a local dealer the sales person asked me about a service contract. The sales manager said, he has a Summit.

If they sold you a contract for oil changes, you might want to make sure they didn't charge you for the first 2 years.

--

--
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Laxjeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CLT, NC
Posts: 454
Thanks: 247
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 1716
Laxjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
They just updated the Owner's Website, and as is typical Jeep it is all screwed up. Before the update it showed my MaxCare plan, now it tells me to buy one. They are very gradually getting it straightened out. I contacted them through the contact page to ask if they were still waving. That's when I heard back from Krista and after couple of contacts she said my vehicle is on the account.

It shows I've been a member of the wave since 2010 and membership expires 2018. I get 2 oil changes and tire rotations per year, first day car rental, there is a 24 hour customer care # and a couple of other things.

When I bought my MaxCare at a local dealer the sales person asked me about a service contract. The sales manager said, he has a Summit.

If they sold you a contract for oil changes, you might want to make sure they didn't charge you for the first 2 years.

--

--

Hopefully they will extend the wave to 2017 vehicles. I like the idea of 1st day rental and the oil changes.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-01-2016, 01:08 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,236
Thanks: 672
Thanked 926 Times in 737 Posts
Rep Power: 1804900
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxjeep View Post
Hopefully they will extend the wave to 2017 vehicles. I like the idea of 1st day rental and the oil changes.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Mine is a '17 Summit.


--
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-01-2016, 02:31 PM
hdrolling's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Grays Creek, NC
Posts: 229
Thanks: 2
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 322
hdrolling is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxjeep View Post
Hopefully they will extend the wave to 2017 vehicles. I like the idea of 1st day rental and the oil changes.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
I called and had the jeep wave program open a case for me to get my account resolved, They said someone should be in contact with me in a few days.
__________________
2017 WK2 Summit, 4WD, 3.6 L, Rear DVD, Velvet Red, Dark Sienna Brown/Black Interior. Tazer, SB
Retired Army, Airborne Infantry (NH Native)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Laxjeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CLT, NC
Posts: 454
Thanks: 247
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 1716
Laxjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Mine is a '17 Summit.


--

Yeah, I kinda took your post above to mean it was only for 2017 Summits. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Anyway, hopefully the site will be updated soon...or I can ask jeep when mine comes in.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-01-2016, 03:05 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,236
Thanks: 672
Thanked 926 Times in 737 Posts
Rep Power: 1804900
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxjeep View Post
Yeah, I kinda took your post above to mean it was only for 2017 Summits. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Anyway, hopefully the site will be updated soon...or I can ask jeep when mine comes in.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
I think it is Summits, Trailhawks, and all Wranglers.

--
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-26-2016, 04:28 PM
vnbWK2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 530
Thanks: 10
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 2796
vnbWK2 is on a distinguished road
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Update:

So I filled up with Sunoco 93 octane several days ago and it seems the pinging is totally gone. (using 89 still pinged a bit). I would like to do one more test and fill up with 87 octane again to see what effect it has. If it pings again on 87 then there is no way I am going to continue to use a higher octane above 87 just to mask the problem. It's perhaps a bad knock sensor, as some of you suggested earlier. I will be bringing this up to my dealership next month at my complementary oil change (making sure I have a full tank of 87).

General question I always had was:
When refilling with a different octane than what is currently in the tank (93 to 87), starting from the time of fill up, how long does it take for the 93/87 mixture of gas now in the tank to eventually reach the engine? I would assume the gas lines leading to the engine would still contain 93 until the fuel pump pushes the "93/87" mixture up to the engine. I guess we could measure this in miles driven. I'm guessing at least a few miles 3-5?
__________________
2017 WK2 Limited 3.6L - Billet Silver/Black

(O||||||||O)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-28-2016, 01:24 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 65
SFJGCT is on a distinguished road
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnbWK2 View Post
So for my 2017 Grand Cherokee I've had for a few weeks I've noticed some engine noise and realized it's pinging noise. It's noticeable on incline's under normal acceleration. It's definitely a pinging sound because I've had this happen before on my older Jeep. I'm using 87 octane which is what is recommended on the 3.6 V6 engine. I've tried Shell, Exxon and Lukoil all 87 reg. How can a brand new engine already ping? This did not happen on my 2014 V6 although the new engine has been refined so it's a bit different. Has anyone experience pinging on the 2017 V6? Can anyone please test this out when you have a chance?

I get it. I'm getting to know my new 2017 too, but don't stress... here is what I pulled straight from the 2017 PDF full manual for the v6 engine:

This engine is designed to meet all emis- sions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gaso-
line will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines.
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before consider- ing service for the vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-28-2016, 08:37 AM
vnbWK2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 530
Thanks: 10
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 2796
vnbWK2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFJGCT View Post

I get it. I'm getting to know my new 2017 too, but don't stress... here is what I pulled straight from the 2017 PDF full manual for the v6 engine:

This engine is designed to meet all emis- sions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gaso-
line will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines.
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before consider- ing service for the vehicle.
Thanks for your response. Are you experiencing pinging only using 87 octane? Have you tried 89? Mine pings with 87 and 89. Using 91 or 93 seems fine but I should not have to use 91or higher in the v6. We took a family trip to Hershey PA a few days after I picked up my new Jeep and do not recall ever hearing pinging, I used 87. After I filled up again with 87 at a local Shell, that's when then pinging started. I'm wondering if I have some water in my tank, so I am going to pour a bottle of Iso-Heet in the tank. Then use 87 and see what happens.
__________________
2017 WK2 Limited 3.6L - Billet Silver/Black

(O||||||||O)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-28-2016, 08:58 AM
hdrolling's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Grays Creek, NC
Posts: 229
Thanks: 2
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 322
hdrolling is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: New 2017 pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnbWK2 View Post
Thanks for your response. Are you experiencing pinging only using 87 octane? Have you tried 89? Mine pings with 87 and 89. Using 91 or 93 seems fine but I should not have to use 91or higher in the v6. We took a family trip to Hershey PA a few days after I picked up my new Jeep and do not recall ever hearing pinging, I used 87. After I filled up again with 87 at a local Shell, that's when then pinging started. I'm wondering if I have some water in my tank, so I am going to pour a bottle of Iso-Heet in the tank. Then use 87 and see what happens.
Ours doesn't ping on 87.
__________________
2017 WK2 Summit, 4WD, 3.6 L, Rear DVD, Velvet Red, Dark Sienna Brown/Black Interior. Tazer, SB
Retired Army, Airborne Infantry (NH Native)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Cherokee - What's New Milous 2014+ Cherokee-KL 35 10-28-2016 03:46 PM
Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today mswlogo Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 48 09-07-2016 04:25 PM
New Member - Looking at ordering a 2017 JGC Overland 4x4 diesel monstersinc1 New Members - Welcome! 2 08-13-2016 06:57 AM
Buying a used 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE V6 versus a new 2017 JGC Summit Sleestak Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 21 05-22-2016 08:04 PM
2012 3.6L pinging/knocking mixer440 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 2 11-09-2012 04:42 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.