Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee - Page 7 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #73  
Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 69
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1850
mjb4334 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Damn, didn't know they were doing an upgraded kit. Almost 400whp has to put it near SRT power. How is the trans handling that much torque though? I thought it was near the limit on the V6 with the base kit? 450nm = 330 lb-ft
If you look in the thread "what are the best power adders for 3.6" Ripp put dyno videos of the base kits, the upgraded kit, and stock SRT.





Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #74  
Old 07-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 138
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1177
Gmgc2014 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Damn, didn't know they were doing an upgraded kit. Almost 400whp has to put it near SRT power. How is the trans handling that much torque though? I thought it was near the limit on the V6 with the base kit? 450nm = 330 lb-ft
The trans is holding up just fine and it doesn't even feel like it's being stressed. The cars power builds and doesn't hit that hard as it is a centrifugal blower.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2014 GC Limited 3.6L , Ripp Supercharger, Road Magnet mid-drop, Matte Black SRT Replicas, SRT Sway Bars and Endlinks
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1980
kar1zma is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

400 awhp wow I'm definitely saving for this kit
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #76  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Silverbullet14's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 68
Thanks: 23
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 838
Silverbullet14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 69
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1850
mjb4334 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar1zma View Post
400 awhp wow I'm definitely saving for this kit

Worth every penny!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 309
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 1907
JoeD is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Has anyone ran the 1/4 mile yet?
__________________
2013 WK2 Limited 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 429
Thanks: 1
Thanked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 2019
dcorn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmgc2014 View Post
The trans is holding up just fine and it doesn't even feel like it's being stressed. The cars power builds and doesn't hit that hard as it is a centrifugal blower.
Oh I know how they work, I've had two mustangs with Vortech blowers, one making 570whp

And I don't think you can tell how much the trans is being 'stressed' from seat-of-the-pants feel. Drivetrain parts usually don't give you a warning before they grenade and I'd hate to see anyone out there blow up one of these expensive transmissions.

I'm not trying to scare anyone or put doubt on the kit. I just remember RIPP saying the original blower kit gave the 3.6L a torque value that was still lower than the max for the trans. Now they are going past it with no mention of the max value. Just wondering how they felt about the numbers.
__________________
2014 JGC Summit
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 309
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 1907
JoeD is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Oh I know how they work, I've had two mustangs with Vortech blowers, one making 570whp

And I don't think you can tell how much the trans is being 'stressed' from seat-of-the-pants feel. Drivetrain parts usually don't give you a warning before they grenade and I'd hate to see anyone out there blow up one of these expensive transmissions.

I'm not trying to scare anyone or put doubt on the kit. I just remember RIPP saying the original blower kit gave the 3.6L a torque value that was still lower than the max for the trans. Now they are going past it with no mention of the max value. Just wondering how they felt about the numbers.
Unless they are claiming it will hold, it's expected that parts wear faster or give up when your adding that much power.
__________________
2013 WK2 Limited 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 07-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 429
Thanks: 1
Thanked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 2019
dcorn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Unless they are claiming it will hold, it's expected that parts wear faster or give up when your adding that much power.
I don't think RIPP would be intentionally upping the boost on production kits to the point that parts 'give up'. That shouldn't be an expected outcome when you spend 6 grand on a supercharger kit.

I get your point about adding any power over the manufacturers specs, things can break. But they claim their original blower kit for the 3.6L was completely safe because it was within the confines of the drivetrain limits. I just want to hear what they think about possibly exceeding those limits. Manufacturers put safety factors in their ratings, so it's entirely possible 400whp is completely safe on the 3.6L Jeep.

Case in point, I bet Ford didn't think it was a good idea for Hellion to slap twin turbos on their supercharged 4.6L engine in the 03/04 Cobra. But that stock longblock held over 900whp without popping. I bet the T56 isn't rated for that power either, but it seemed to hold OK as long as you weren't launching it on slicks every weekend.
__________________
2014 JGC Summit
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 138
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1177
Gmgc2014 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

The bottom line is that if you want to play you have are going to have to be prepared to pay eventually. Only time will tell.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2014 GC Limited 3.6L , Ripp Supercharger, Road Magnet mid-drop, Matte Black SRT Replicas, SRT Sway Bars and Endlinks
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 309
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 1907
JoeD is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I don't think RIPP would be intentionally upping the boost on production kits to the point that parts 'give up'. That shouldn't be an expected outcome when you spend 6 grand on a supercharger kit.

I get your point about adding any power over the manufacturers specs, things can break. But they claim their original blower kit for the 3.6L was completely safe because it was within the confines of the drivetrain limits. I just want to hear what they think about possibly exceeding those limits. Manufacturers put safety factors in their ratings, so it's entirely possible 400whp is completely safe on the 3.6L Jeep.

Case in point, I bet Ford didn't think it was a good idea for Hellion to slap twin turbos on their supercharged 4.6L engine in the 03/04 Cobra. But that stock longblock held over 900whp without popping. I bet the T56 isn't rated for that power either, but it seemed to hold OK as long as you weren't launching it on slicks every weekend.
How long it lasts will be up to the driver. Im betting that since the kit is so new and I have yet to see anyone posting some track times, it may take a while for failures to show up.
__________________
2013 WK2 Limited 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 138
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1177
Gmgc2014 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ripp Supercharging my 2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee

The more you beat up on it, it will beat your pocket like anything else. I drive mine pretty conservative most of time. I get on it every once and a while but I don't beat on it by any stretch. As it stands it has great power and feels very strong. How long it will last is still up in air but I am a high mileage driver so we will see.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2014 GC Limited 3.6L , Ripp Supercharger, Road Magnet mid-drop, Matte Black SRT Replicas, SRT Sway Bars and Endlinks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, grand cherokee, RIPP

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIPP Supercharger Install on my 2014 Jeep SRT 💨💨 SRTguy Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos 27 12-14-2016 11:39 AM
Another 2014 Ripp Supercharged SRT8 fairbird Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos 20 07-21-2015 06:06 PM
Funny RIPP Supercharger for 2014 GC prodigy1979 Performance Modifications 3 04-04-2015 08:17 AM
RIPP Superchargers 2012-2014 SRT Video Walk Around & Dyno RIPP Superchargers Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos 40 11-29-2014 07:25 PM
RIPP Superchargers 2012-2014 SRT Stage 1 Testing results RIPP Superchargers Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos 97 06-30-2014 09:43 AM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.