Whats your choice of oil for your WK2? - Page 9 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #97  
Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,342
Thanks: 318
Thanked 254 Times in 178 Posts
Rep Power: 2022
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post
You can sit here and talk about oil to your heart's content while some of us sit here, read and laugh at it.
A lot of these guys could over complicate a cup of coffee.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #98  
Old 08-04-2015, 05:12 PM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3091
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Yes im sure you could bill
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 314
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 2159
comnjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

True, but if someone on a coffee thread asks what kind of coffe you put in your coffee maker, it really isn't a thread worth reading that answers: uh, the manual says to put coffee in it and so I do so stop writing about it...

(and by the way, I bet there really is a coffee forum ; )). Thread closed.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 08-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,800
Thanks: 42
Thanked 213 Times in 165 Posts
Rep Power: 76863
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
20w is 20w no matter what its cold weight is rated at. one thing to remember there are guys here in the motor trade and there are guys here with no idea at all who believe in what they read on the internet over believing guys that work on engines for a living.
go figure use what your happy with but dont discount the fact that there are guys here who know what they are talking about with the actual facts to back themselves up from many years of experience and daily dealings with oil companies.
Actually that's not true. Look at the info posted on Mobile 1 0w-20 and 5w-20 it's different at 100C. Not hugely different but it is different.

And I expect the difference is wider after the oil has aged.
__________________
07-24-2017 Summit 3.6L Velvet Red W/Black & Brown Int
Tires: OEM 20"/Nokian 18"
Situational awareness: Valentine One with V1Driver on IOS
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
  #101  
Old 08-09-2015, 01:27 PM
WK2ghazal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 70
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1073
WK2ghazal is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

My truck is laredo V6
In the engine cap it's written 5W30 but the dealer replace it always with 5W20 which is special for the V8 as far as I know.
Does this harm my engine? Or it's normal to use this grade of oil in V6 engine?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Oblivion's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South Riding
Posts: 110
Thanks: 75
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 16404
Oblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemispin View Post
Got a source for that claim?

I can't think of any modern engine that doesn't take at least a few minutes to warm up. There are many factors that contribute to this. Engine block material, ECU tuning, coolant type and capacity, ambient temperature, engine oil capacity (engine oil helps cool some components) etc, etc. All of these components take time to fully warm up, and it's not gonna happen in just 10 seconds.

Sorry for the long delay. I could not find the article i was referring. However similar one right here.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/news/war...203031337.html

Please dont troll me for using a source that also publishes Big Foot sightings and the like.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 162
Thanks: 3
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1196
Hemispin is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Sorry for the long delay. I could not find the article i was referring. However similar one right here.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/news/war...203031337.html

Please dont troll me for using a source that also publishes Big Foot sightings and the like.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
That article is hardly conclusive, and it doesn't say anything about an engine fully warming up in 10 seconds.

Here's an excerpt: That does not mean you can get in and start driving it hard the second you start the engine. Although you donít need to wait for your car to warm up, you should take it easy when you first start driving.

So it's basically saying you don't need to wait to warm up your car, just to take it easy while it warms up. This is basically common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Oblivion's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South Riding
Posts: 110
Thanks: 75
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 16404
Oblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond reputeOblivion has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemispin View Post
That article is hardly conclusive, and it doesn't say anything about an engine fully warming up in 10 seconds.

Here's an excerpt: That does not mean you can get in and start driving it hard the second you start the engine. Although you donít need to wait for your car to warm up, you should take it easy when you first start driving.

So it's basically saying you don't need to wait to warm up your car, just to take it easy while it warms up. This is basically common sense.

Agreed. Bottom line you might be ok if just waiting a short time and driving it easy. That "short time" is about 5-10 seconds according to the Ford article i cant find but read over a year ago. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: planet Earth
Posts: 55
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 390
hamooda_007 is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

not to bring old bs and arguing or issues again, but how is ur engines holding up?

My manual says 5w20, and 5w30 when the first isn't available.
thinking of sticking to 5w30 since its too hot where I live. 110-125F UAE, Dubai
more thicker much better I assume, USA must deal with EPA as we the rest of the world don't.
5w30 is fine !! Synthetic all theway

Also I've the MDS HEMI 5.7 2015
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (213.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:43 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,342
Thanks: 318
Thanked 254 Times in 178 Posts
Rep Power: 2022
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamooda_007 View Post
not to bring old bs and arguing or issues again, but how is ur engines holding up?

My manual says 5w20, and 5w30 when the first isn't available.
thinking of sticking to 5w30 since its too hot where I live. 110-125F UAE, Dubai
more thicker much better I assume, USA must deal with EPA as we the rest of the world don't.
5w30 is fine !! Synthetic all theway

Also I've the MDS HEMI 5.7 2015
I live in Phoenix Arizona, which has a very similar climate and Summertime temperature as Dubai, (110 to as high as 120F). I use 5W-20 like the manual recommends. I was tempted, like you to go with 5W-30. Because in the heat I also believe a little thicker viscosity is a good thing.

What changed my mind was the MDS System on the 5.7 HEMI. I've read there have been issues with it, that have been attributed to using too thick of an engine oil. On my engine 5W-20 is printed right on the filler cap, and all over the manual. So that's what I'm sticking with. I don't want to run the risk of creating a problem by trying to solve a non existent one. There is zero data that says a 5.7 HEMI will last any longer if 5W-30 is used in a hot climate. Even though that is what conventional wisdom dictates.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: planet Earth
Posts: 55
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 390
hamooda_007 is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I live in Phoenix Arizona, which has a very similar climate and Summertime temperature as Dubai, (110 to as high as 120F). I use 5W-20 like the manual recommends. I was tempted, like you to go with 5W-30. Because in the heat I also believe a little thicker viscosity is a good thing.

What changed my mind was the MDS System on the 5.7 HEMI. I've read there have been issues with it, that have been attributed to using too thick of an engine oil. On my engine 5W-20 is printed right on the filler cap, and all over the manual. So that's what I'm sticking with. I don't want to run the risk of creating a problem by trying to solve a non existent one. There is zero data that says a 5.7 HEMI will last any longer if 5W-30 is used in a hot climate. Even though that is what conventional wisdom dictates.

Thanks boss
I read somewhere that one guy ran 5w30 and the oil pan temp went down little bit, from 104C to mid 90s C.
i'm still tempted to do stick to 5w20, as you said it wouldn't hurt to stick to 5w20.

Because i'm not liking my oil pan temp to run 105C in stop and go traffic. Do you face the same temp wise? Also the coolant temp needle rises a bit too




Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: planet Earth
Posts: 55
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 390
hamooda_007 is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your choice of oil for your WK2?

ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1456763262.592488.jpg

From the owner manual


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wk2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was your 2nd choice? Dimes Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 120 11-27-2013 09:52 PM
WK2 Tyre choice fwdjeep Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 1 07-05-2013 07:44 AM
Insert manufacturer of your choice GMWK2 Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 1 06-03-2013 06:51 PM
Are you unhappy with your engine choice? bigrboland Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 28 10-15-2012 09:38 AM
First of the WK2's, whats your build date? loadedlaramie Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 20 10-31-2011 01:01 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.