Air Ride Options - Redux... - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 AM
CGANTZ's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 372
CGANTZ is on a distinguished road
Air Ride Options - Redux...

Iíve got a quandary. Iíve read the posts for the two options (well technically three) to lower the quadralift, but looking for some added guidance. Ideally Ė and I realize any manufacturer is going to throw out a warranty with any modifications, but Ė Iíd love to prevent voiding the warranty in the process, so Iím sure none of these options really helps in that regard, but here goes anyway.

For starters, Iíd love to get rid of the rake. The GC usually sits with a bit of a rake and Iíd like to level it out by lowering the backend, so Iím curious if thatís solved by using the linkage. Effectively, that lowers the mounting point so that the air ride actually is starting from a different stance? Is that correct? I believe Iíve read that I may have to have it re-calibrated Ė what is that process.

Beyond that, I have two options to actually alter the ride height, correct? Thereís the LLAMS solution which seems reasonable to install, but requires the driver to continually modify the ride settings. Iím not rolliní through Cali hittiní switches, so Iím not sure I want to constantly moderate these ride settings. But Iíd be curious if anyone did a step-by-step recap of the install process? Also, does it leave any ghosts in the ECU that a dealership is going to pick up?

Last is the option Ė and what I perceive my preferred option Ė to adjust the onboard height settings for each of the heights. While I prefer this option, from what I can gather, itís difficult to find someone with a WITECH programmer (or at least someone who wants to actually change your settings for you). My preference for this option as best I can tell is that this basically keeps the factory behavior but only alters the height settings for that behavior.

Iíll undoubtedly never offroad the GC, with the exception of snow, but I donít really need a OR2 setting. What I really want is the Aero/sport height as the NRH without the rake for an aggressive city stance. Oh, and at some point Iíll dress her with 22ís, but sheís still a newbie, so Iím wading in to the process having come from back-to-back-to-back Yukon Denaliís. For the record, I have a í15 High Altitude!

Feedback?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,291
Thanks: 778
Thanked 568 Times in 453 Posts
Rep Power: 96051
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

Honestly, I think that the simple adjustable link modification is likely safest since you can reverse it quickly if need be. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with trying to do anything electronically because if something goes wrong there, it could have major impact with the whole vehicle. But that's just me...
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2016, 03:11 PM
howiestt's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 196
Thanks: 25
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 2051
howiestt is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
Honestly, I think that the simple adjustable link modification is likely safest since you can reverse it quickly if need be. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with trying to do anything electronically because if something goes wrong there, it could have major impact with the whole vehicle. But that's just me...

i agree with Jim here. Seriously, the links change in under 10 minutes or less. you can either purchase the link from adjustableairride or make them yourself. Depends how bumpy/imperfect your roads up in OR, you can pretty much get rid of rake/wheel gap in park mode...but having it that low in NRH/AERO mode i wouldn't recommend it. This is not just heresay, i have the links and have adjusted from really low to what i have now. All depends on your roads there.
__________________
2014 HEMI Bright White Overland WK2|Corsa Exhaust, Volant-stock hybrid intake w/ AFE filter|XenonDepot LED fog lights|Diablosport w/ Hemifever 93 octane custom tune|Billet oil catch can|SRT Steering wheel|Adjustable air suspension linkages|22x10.5 Concavo CW-S5 Gloss Black|Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 305/35/22|Phillips CBI DS3 5500k HID bulbs
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howiestt For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 01-29-2016, 03:35 PM
CGANTZ's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 372
CGANTZ is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiestt View Post
Depends how bumpy/imperfect your roads up in OR, you can pretty much get rid of rake/wheel gap in park mode...but having it that low in NRH/AERO mode i wouldn't recommend it. This is not just heresay, i have the links and have adjusted from really low to what i have now. All depends on your roads there.
Thanks Howiestt! Two things:

1) I agree - I don't want Entry/Exit for NRH, but would like to get NRH to be Aero or slightly lower...but not 'slammed' - just much sportier than NRH and slightly lower than Aero. Are you just using the linkage and that's it?

2) I was going to reach out to you at some point on your roof rail post. I don't understand why EVERY dealership in my area won't do roof rails even though I already have the decorative caps with the same fitment. So, I may end up taking the route you too - just trying to avoid paying full retail for the damn rails. You had any follow-on issues with that mod?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2016, 05:26 PM
howiestt's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 196
Thanks: 25
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 2051
howiestt is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGANTZ View Post
Thanks Howiestt! Two things:

1) I agree - I don't want Entry/Exit for NRH, but would like to get NRH to be Aero or slightly lower...but not 'slammed' - just much sportier than NRH and slightly lower than Aero. Are you just using the linkage and that's it?

2) I was going to reach out to you at some point on your roof rail post. I don't understand why EVERY dealership in my area won't do roof rails even though I already have the decorative caps with the same fitment. So, I may end up taking the route you too - just trying to avoid paying full retail for the damn rails. You had any follow-on issues with that mod?

1)im only using linkages, 22 wheels also make its look lower. Just do it you will love the look.
2) i think you have my confused with someone else, never did anything to my roof rails.
__________________
2014 HEMI Bright White Overland WK2|Corsa Exhaust, Volant-stock hybrid intake w/ AFE filter|XenonDepot LED fog lights|Diablosport w/ Hemifever 93 octane custom tune|Billet oil catch can|SRT Steering wheel|Adjustable air suspension linkages|22x10.5 Concavo CW-S5 Gloss Black|Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 305/35/22|Phillips CBI DS3 5500k HID bulbs
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: western NY, USA
Posts: 245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 6252
leadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond reputeleadfoot4 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGANTZ View Post
Iíve got a quandary. Iíve read the posts for the two options (well technically three) to lower the quadralift, but looking for some added guidance. Ideally Ė and I realize any manufacturer is going to throw out a warranty with any modifications, but Ė Iíd love to prevent voiding the warranty in the process, so Iím sure none of these options really helps in that regard, but here goes anyway.

For starters, Iíd love to get rid of the rake. The GC usually sits with a bit of a rake and Iíd like to level it out by lowering the backend, so Iím curious if thatís solved by using the linkage. Effectively, that lowers the mounting point so that the air ride actually is starting from a different stance? Is that correct? I believe Iíve read that I may have to have it re-calibrated Ė what is that process.

Beyond that, I have two options to actually alter the ride height, correct? Thereís the LLAMS solution which seems reasonable to install, but requires the driver to continually modify the ride settings. Iím not rolliní through Cali hittiní switches, so Iím not sure I want to constantly moderate these ride settings. But Iíd be curious if anyone did a step-by-step recap of the install process? Also, does it leave any ghosts in the ECU that a dealership is going to pick up?

Last is the option Ė and what I perceive my preferred option Ė to adjust the onboard height settings for each of the heights. While I prefer this option, from what I can gather, itís difficult to find someone with a WITECH programmer (or at least someone who wants to actually change your settings for you). My preference for this option as best I can tell is that this basically keeps the factory behavior but only alters the height settings for that behavior.

Iíll undoubtedly never offroad the GC, with the exception of snow, but I donít really need a OR2 setting. What I really want is the Aero/sport height as the NRH without the rake for an aggressive city stance.

I'm EXACTLY in the same place, as I don't plan on any off-roading, either, but I'd like a little lower normal ride height. I'm thinking of maybe 1/2-3/4". I only ordered the ORAII package, so I could get the limited slip rear axle, to help cope with the snow....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM
CoyoteLariat's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: TX
Posts: 16
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 606
CoyoteLariat is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

I just want to level the front UP to match the rear. I'm going to try to build a set of front links. Just need time and some $$.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 392
Thanks: 1
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Rep Power: 1778
dcorn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

Checkout my writeup in the DIY section or JTS's post in this section on DIY adjustable sensor links. Took me maybe 30 minutes to make mine and 2 minutes to install them. Going back to the dealer? Swap them out in 2 minutes with the stockers.


I lowered the rear of my jeep about an inch to level it out. Might go lower all around to get a slightly better looking ride height come spring.
__________________
2014 JGC Summit
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 PM
CGANTZ's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 372
CGANTZ is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Ride Options - Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiestt View Post
i agree with Jim here. Seriously, the links change in under 10 minutes or less. you can either purchase the link from adjustableairride or make them yourself. Depends how bumpy/imperfect your roads up in OR, you can pretty much get rid of rake/wheel gap in park mode...but having it that low in NRH/AERO mode i wouldn't recommend it. This is not just heresay, i have the links and have adjusted from really low to what i have now. All depends on your roads there.
After doin' a li'l diggin', I've got a follow up question for you. Did you do the Adjustable Air Ride Links or the Airmatic Lowering Links (out of UK)? Did they send you rears only - or both front & rear? Anyone run the Airmatic's? Aside from being out of UK, they're a bit less expensive, but look to be of similar engineering standards.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relwarc REDUX Relwarc Members Rides 126 11-06-2014 07:58 AM
Relwarc (Redux) :: 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Relwarc Member Garage Discussions 2 11-02-2014 05:50 PM
SRT Grille redux 2011GCSummit Interior/Exterior/Visual 24 10-13-2014 04:40 PM
Tire options, possibly tire and wheel options MrWow Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 1 11-15-2011 02:58 PM
Air ride - air bags parry69 Visual Modifications 9 08-02-2010 09:04 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.