Best 20" tires for street use? - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 272
Thanks: 29
Thanked 81 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 973
2015_SRT is on a distinguished road
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

Erie!!!

Harborcreek!!!

Having grown up in Erie I'd suggest a winter tire only and a good all season or summer only for summer. All seasons aren't going to cut it in the snow there.

Pirelli makes a good snow specific.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Lightninrod's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Warner Robins Ga
Posts: 431
Thanks: 454
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1365
Lightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

I ran at 65-80 mph on the 2 hour trip home with no vibration. So far so good .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Lightninrod's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Warner Robins Ga
Posts: 431
Thanks: 454
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1365
Lightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

I ran at 65-80 mph on the 2 hour trip home with no vibration. So far so good .

Wrong thread. Sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,842
Thanks: 393
Thanked 648 Times in 584 Posts
Rep Power: 324050
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

ive ran the nitto 420's. good tire. I am on general tire gmax's right now and they perform like the nittos but im finding better snow traction from them now
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Lightninrod's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Warner Robins Ga
Posts: 431
Thanks: 454
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1365
Lightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

I ran them at 65-80 mph on the 2 hour trip home. No vibration, very smooth and quiet.

Sorry for the dupe.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,291
Thanks: 778
Thanked 568 Times in 453 Posts
Rep Power: 96051
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
ive ran the nitto 420's. good tire. I am on general tire gmax's right now and they perform like the nittos but im finding better snow traction from them now
The NT420 isn't rated as well for snow as the NT421Q, but is a very nice highway tire.
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,842
Thanks: 393
Thanked 648 Times in 584 Posts
Rep Power: 324050
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post

The NT420 isn't rated as well for snow as the NT421Q, but is a very nice highway tire.
True... but now i think we need to add the gmax as03 tires as an option we could go to. Ill have to make a list of tires we could run...
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 357
Thanks: 59
Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1819
Briant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond reputeBriant73 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_SRT View Post
Erie!!!

Harborcreek!!!

Having grown up in Erie I'd suggest a winter tire only and a good all season or summer only for summer. All seasons aren't going to cut it in the snow there.

Pirelli makes a good snow specific.
Yeah the Erie region though I'm SW of Harborcreek. Surprisingly this is the second winter and so far the Goodyear Fortera's haven't let me down though I know there are better all around (including snow) all seasons out there. I really haven't had an issue with snow/slush/ice for many years now even my previous highlander didn't have an issue with it's stock all seasons until the tread was done to a minimal amount left.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 272
Thanks: 29
Thanked 81 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 973
2015_SRT is on a distinguished road
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
Yeah the Erie region though I'm SW of Harborcreek. Surprisingly this is the second winter and so far the Goodyear Fortera's haven't let me down though I know there are better all around (including snow) all seasons out there. I really haven't had an issue with snow/slush/ice for many years now even my previous highlander didn't have an issue with it's stock all seasons until the tread was done to a minimal amount left.
As I mentioned before the Continental DWS all season have great winter tread. But even the manufacturer mentions only "light" snow.

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

They also come with a 50,000 warranty. They are top rated in tire rack surveys.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 272
Thanks: 29
Thanked 81 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 973
2015_SRT is on a distinguished road
Re: Best 20" tires for street use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_SRT View Post
As I mentioned before the Continental DWS all season have great winter tread. But even the manufacturer mentions only "light" snow.

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

They also come with a 50,000 warranty. They are top rated in tire rack surveys.
Ran the DWS's in the snow storm we got in Kentucky/Ohio a few days ago. They performed very well. No complaints
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leather Care: to use or not to use.....? Sir Bean Detailing 14 06-21-2016 09:23 AM
overdrive to use or not to use? bigdaddy Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 2 05-11-2013 07:34 AM
Anything similar to "Street Cherokee" wheels?? Douggie66 Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 4 10-14-2012 06:55 PM
Best all around tires for multi use Grantsjc Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 7 04-08-2012 11:55 AM
2011 Jeep "Street" Grand Cherokee Scottina06 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 65 11-04-2010 09:21 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.