Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1602
kalbri is on a distinguished road
Milous--Quadralift Overland question

I've been pouring through the standard equipment lists on the WK2jeeps.com site and in the brochure I received from my local dealer.
According to WK2jeeps.com the Overland 4x4 comes standard with Quadralift air suspension (late availability), but according to the factory brochure Quadralift is an option even on the Overland. The brochure shows Quadralift as part of the Luxury Group 2 on the Limited and as optional on Overland. Do you know which way it really is for the Overland, standard or optional?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Milous's Avatar
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nottsure, Wair
Posts: 6,523
Thanks: 36
Thanked 2,283 Times in 956 Posts
Rep Power: 2392892
Milous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Quadralift is Standard on the Overland. Since it was late availablility the brochure "implied" it to be Optional. ALL Overlands built from this point on WILL have Quadralift as Standard.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1602
kalbri is on a distinguished road
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Thank you so much for the reply. Do you know if the Quadralift suspension can be deleted on the Overland if I place an order with my dealer? I am interested in ordering a Overland, but do not want the air suspension.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1602
kalbri is on a distinguished road
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Mostly I am concerned about reliability of the system. I have read that air suspension systems are often problematic and expensive to repair (Mercedes Airmatic, Range Rover, Lincoln Navigator, etc.). Does anyone have any insight as to whether the Quadralift system in the Grand Cherokee would be more reliable than others?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2966
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbri View Post
Mostly I am concerned about reliability of the system. I have read that air suspension systems are often problematic and expensive to repair (Mercedes Airmatic, Range Rover, Lincoln Navigator, etc.). Does anyone have any insight as to whether the Quadralift system in the Grand Cherokee would be more reliable than others?
I don't know how much more reliable it will be. It is a different kind of system than most use; it is a closed system. Rather than venting high pressure air to open air and then compressing air from outside the vehicle when more is needed, it operates with closed loops. Air is vented and compressed between storage tanks. It is quicker to operate and might give better longevity (but I don't know that).

What might be going well for Jeep folks is that these AREN'T luxury nameplates- while the trim and features are up there, generally the parts and maintenance are going to be less expensive. The same part for a Jeep might well be less than one for a Mercedes.

Still, I'm not anticipating the Quadra Lift to be quite as bulletproof as the traditional fixed ride height suspension. If you want to vary ride heights, there may well be a price to be paid to keep the system functional on down the road a hundred thousand miles.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 2030
mangoe has a reputation beyond reputemangoe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Chrysler stated that this jeep has been tested like no other Chrysler vehicle before with millions of miles accumulated,before you and I get to purchase one.Therefore you and I will not be the guinea pig.

This open type air suspension system is probably the last you will see in the current Mercedes Benz line up,they will implement the close type air suspension that Chrysler is using in the 2011 Jeep,this is the latest technology supposed to be more reliable and better quality.

Chrysler was able to get this jeep out on the market using the latest ML platform and the latest air suspension before MB because they started the jeep a lot earlier than the next generation MB ML,The next generation ML and GL will be out in 2012. Using the jeep platform.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1602
kalbri is on a distinguished road
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

I sure hope that it'll be more reliable than some of the other air suspension systems out there, but I'm not holding my breath. The system seems to be complex with a number of areas that could fail (compressor, air bladders, sensors, etc.)
I really want an Overland but I do not care about varying the ride height. I also want to order one, so I would have to get the current production which is with Quadralift. I really hope there is a way to delete Quadralift from the Overland when ordering.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Repo503's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2240
Repo503 is on a distinguished road
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant View Post
I don't know how much more reliable it will be. It is a different kind of system than most use; it is a closed system. Rather than venting high pressure air to open air and then compressing air from outside the vehicle when more is needed, it operates with closed loops. Air is vented and compressed between storage tanks. It is quicker to operate and might give better longevity (but I don't know that).

What might be going well for Jeep folks is that these AREN'T luxury nameplates- while the trim and features are up there, generally the parts and maintenance are going to be less expensive. The same part for a Jeep might well be less than one for a Mercedes.

Still, I'm not anticipating the Quadra Lift to be quite as bulletproof as the traditional fixed ride height suspension. If you want to vary ride heights, there may well be a price to be paid to keep the system functional on down the road a hundred thousand miles.
GMC isn't a luxury nameplate either but rear shocks for my Denali are $450 each, and $400 for a new compressor. When one shock goes, the compressor runs non-stop till it burns itself out, so its always an expensive replacement.

However if you're dropping 40-50k on a truck, whats a couple hundred for replacement parts? I am sure there will be all kinds of aftermarket suspension upgrades for the WK2 soon enough anyway.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2010, 05:32 PM
JohnS's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posts: 304
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 1895
JohnS is on a distinguished road
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milous View Post
Quadralift is Standard on the Overland. Since it was late availablility the brochure "implied" it to be Optional. ALL Overlands built from this point on WILL have Quadralift as Standard.
I ordered mine a week & a half ago, without the optional air suspension. It'll be interesting to see if my Overland will come to Southern Ontario (Canada) with the air suspension.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2966
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo503 View Post
GMC isn't a luxury nameplate either but rear shocks for my Denali are $450 each, and $400 for a new compressor. When one shock goes, the compressor runs non-stop till it burns itself out, so its always an expensive replacement.

However if you're dropping 40-50k on a truck, whats a couple hundred for replacement parts? I am sure there will be all kinds of aftermarket suspension upgrades for the WK2 soon enough anyway.
The "hey, it's $40K, expect a few hundred bucks to fix these nifty gizmos" school of thought is pretty much where I ended up. By the time the air suspension needs repair, I expect this thing will have long since been paid for. Furthermore, compare that cost to the price of traditional struts or other suspension parts, which at that point would likely be worn out anyway (but since the loss in performance is gradual, drivers don't notice- there's a bunch of older cars driving around on completely spent suspension components). With an air shock, when it goes you know it and can't ignore it, so it appears less reliable than a gas strut or shock. It's undoubtedly more expensive, but I'd expect effective lifetimes aren't far removed from one another.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1602
kalbri is on a distinguished road
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Just seems like a lot can go wrong, and looking at other air suspensions there frequently seem to be people swapping air out for regular springs because of too many problems or too much $$. Granted, these are on Rovers, Lincoln, Benz, so maybe Jeep will cost less. Just hope it is reliable and not frequent repairs. Even under warranty, it would be annoying. It is the one real reservation I have about getting a 2011 Overland
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 2030
mangoe has a reputation beyond reputemangoe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Milous--Quadralift Overland question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbri View Post
Just seems like a lot can go wrong, and looking at other air suspensions there frequently seem to be people swapping air out for regular springs because of too many problems or too much $$. Granted, these are on Rovers, Lincoln, Benz, so maybe Jeep will cost less. Just hope it is reliable and not frequent repairs. Even under warranty, it would be annoying. It is the one real reservation I have about getting a 2011 Overland
What are you worried about? Quit worrying,what if the engine blew up just after your warranty ends?and so on,and so on.

Even with so called problem with open type air suspension on the range rover,and Mercedes Benz,have you ever seen the resale price on these vehicle they are very expensive and holding up pretty good.

This is an excellent jeep and will get good price for it selling it as a used vehicle in the future,the price will hold up because of the overall construction of this jeep.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.