Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 3063
jp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Tires- Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubwarren View Post
Dude, the tires jeep puts on these vehicles aren't the same ones you buy from sears. They look exactly alike but they don't last as long or perform like the "real" Goodyears.

Are you reallly saying that the Goodyear Foteria's that they put on at the factory are different than the ones you buy in the store?? If it is that's the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jp467 For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 PM
kaflyboy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1723
kaflyboy is on a distinguished road




This is what I found on tirerack

Sorry if pictures are bad. Tired to do with iPad
__________________

__________________
Mineral Grey Summit with Saddle
Date ordered: 02/01/2011
Arrived in Garage 04/11/2011
Current status: Delivered
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 30950
fundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Tires- Summit

Go to www.tirerack.com and look at the different types of tires. Put in your jeep, it will list all available tires. Then look at the type of tire you want. All season, summer, max performance, etc. I want A/T. Then find the highest rated ones. Lists diameter of them. Smaller diameter equals lower profile, better handling, faster acceleration, worse gas mileage.

Also, stickier tires like max performance wear out faster. I have had A/T tires on the Armada and my old ZJ. The Armadas Nitto Terra Grapplers lasted 70k miles and need replaciing. The ZJ had Michelin LTX A/T and looked new after 50k on them. My Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 max performance I put on my BMW last 20k if I'm lucky. You trade away mileage to gain softer stickier tires.

I'm going with the Firestone Destination A/T tires when its time to replace. I want a more aggressive looking larger tire with better off road and snow abilites than stock and they are higher rated than Bridgestone Revos and Goodyear Siletnt Armors.

Do a half hour of research then call around on price .The local Tires plus has better prices on the Firestones than the Tire Rack by 50 bucks a tire.

Hope this helps.
__________________
'12 Overland Summit Mineral Gray, Hemi, chrome pkg.
'08 BMW 335i Convertable, Laser Jamers, JB3 chip, 19x8.5-10, BMW body kit, etc.
'05 Armada LE 4x4, 305-65/20 Terra Grapplers
'95 ZJ 5.2 4x4 Sold but not forgotten.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 84
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1175
Sliter'12Overland has a reputation beyond reputeSliter'12Overland has a reputation beyond reputeSliter'12Overland has a reputation beyond reputeSliter'12Overland has a reputation beyond reputeSliter'12Overland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Tires- Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundguy View Post
Go to www.tirerack.com and look at the different types of tires. Put in your jeep, it will list all available tires. Then look at the type of tire you want. All season, summer, max performance, etc. I want A/T. Then find the highest rated ones. Lists diameter of them. Smaller diameter equals lower profile, better handling, faster acceleration, worse gas mileage.

Also, stickier tires like max performance wear out faster. I have had A/T tires on the Armada and my old ZJ. The Armadas Nitto Terra Grapplers lasted 70k miles and need replaciing. The ZJ had Michelin LTX A/T and looked new after 50k on them. My Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 max performance I put on my BMW last 20k if I'm lucky. You trade away mileage to gain softer stickier tires.

I'm going with the Firestone Destination A/T tires when its time to replace. I want a more aggressive looking larger tire with better off road and snow abilites than stock and they are higher rated than Bridgestone Revos and Goodyear Siletnt Armors.

Do a half hour of research then call around on price .The local Tires plus has better prices on the Firestones than the Tire Rack by 50 bucks a tire.

Hope this helps.

You should rethink the silent armors. They are by far the best all around tire, you can run them all summer and winter and they are consistent. Very quiet, and kevlar in the side wall makes it a more than adequate off road tire unless you really like deep mud then you need a mud tire anyway. I am running the destinations for the rears on my 2wd GMC work truck and the grip is fine but the feel is totally different, they wander and roll a lot more than the silent armors.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
AAAA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,575
Thanks: 11
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 1543309
AAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Tires- Summit

You will have more choices if you get 18" wheels. Also, while Tire Rack is very helpful, it is not hard to have local dealers meet and/or beat their prices.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 30950
fundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Tires- Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliter'12Overland View Post
You should rethink the silent armors. They are by far the best all around tire, you can run them all summer and winter and they are consistent. Very quiet, and kevlar in the side wall makes it a more than adequate off road tire unless you really like deep mud then you need a mud tire anyway. I am running the destinations for the rears on my 2wd GMC work truck and the grip is fine but the feel is totally different, they wander and roll a lot more than the silent armors.
That's what I needed to know. Thx
__________________
'12 Overland Summit Mineral Gray, Hemi, chrome pkg.
'08 BMW 335i Convertable, Laser Jamers, JB3 chip, 19x8.5-10, BMW body kit, etc.
'05 Armada LE 4x4, 305-65/20 Terra Grapplers
'95 ZJ 5.2 4x4 Sold but not forgotten.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 AM
6ILES_K's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1069
6ILES_K is a jewel in the rough
Re: New Tires- Summit

Hey,

Im running Falken mountain ats from discount tire. Shipped straight to my door, under a grand and it's a wicked aggressive looking tire.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 PM
kaflyboy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1723
kaflyboy is on a distinguished road
What do you guys think about these? Trying to keep the 20's and the low profile (50 I think) but get more aggressive on the tread.

http://www.nittocrosstek.com/tires.aspx?tt=2
__________________
Mineral Grey Summit with Saddle
Date ordered: 02/01/2011
Arrived in Garage 04/11/2011
Current status: Delivered
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 30950
fundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond reputefundguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Tires- Summit

My Nitto Terra grapplers were quiet, had great grip and ride, and lasted 75k on the Armada. Good tires.
__________________
'12 Overland Summit Mineral Gray, Hemi, chrome pkg.
'08 BMW 335i Convertable, Laser Jamers, JB3 chip, 19x8.5-10, BMW body kit, etc.
'05 Armada LE 4x4, 305-65/20 Terra Grapplers
'95 ZJ 5.2 4x4 Sold but not forgotten.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM
kaflyboy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1723
kaflyboy is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have an opinion in the Bridgestone Blizzack tires? 265/50/r20 is the size I'm looking for. I want to keep the same profile as the forterras but better tread.
__________________
Mineral Grey Summit with Saddle
Date ordered: 02/01/2011
Arrived in Garage 04/11/2011
Current status: Delivered
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 PM
AAAA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,575
Thanks: 11
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 1543309
AAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Tires- Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp467 View Post
Are you reallly saying that the Goodyear Foteria's that they put on at the factory are different than the ones you buy in the store?? If it is that's the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum.
So you don't remember the reason Ford and Firestone divorced? Explorers were experiencing dangerous tire failures at a high rate. Ford claimed Firestone left a layer out in assembly which caused excessive heat build up. Firestone claimed they left the layer out to meet Ford's pricing requirement and the tire was as good as the over-the-counter version. Difference? Who knows.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1003
BioCRD is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: New Tires- Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaflyboy View Post
Does anyone have an opinion in the Bridgestone Blizzack tires? 265/50/r20 is the size I'm looking for. I want to keep the same profile as the forterras but better tread.
I have used the Blizzaks for winter for a dozen years, on two Subaroux and two previous Jeeps, now got 'em for the 2012 GC (in 265/60-18). I like them, they aren't a deep offroad snow tire but good for pavement/snow/slush/ice. A very large and noticeable improvement in winter traction over all-season tires. We have snowy roads Oct-May here in the mountains, I would not be without dedicated winter tires.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone with an Summit try this? Deception Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 10-09-2011 09:44 PM
Lift & Tires or Wheels & Tires zrlee Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 2 08-03-2011 11:58 PM
Difference between factory-installed Limited 18" tires vs. Offroad Group 18" tires? rb3wreath Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 2 07-12-2011 11:28 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community