Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Mikey403's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 322
Mikey403 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experience for both powder coating and plasti dipping wheels. Im debating of powder coating my 20" wheels gloss black and i did buy the cans for plasti dip to dip my wheels but quite a few ppl keep telling me to get it powder coated instead. Any suggestions?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 1,878
Thanks: 283
Thanked 88 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 4889
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

PlastiDip is temporary. Powder Coating is, essentially, permanent. You could do the former to check out the look and if you like it, continue with the investment to get the wheels recolored via powder coating.
__________________

__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Nitto NT421Q "shoes"



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Mikey403's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 322
Mikey403 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
PlastiDip is temporary. Powder Coating is, essentially, permanent. You could do the former to check out the look and if you like it, continue with the investment to get the wheels recolored via powder coating.
Thanks for the input! Do you think these wheels would look good powder coated gloss black?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 1,878
Thanks: 283
Thanked 88 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 4889
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

That's a subjective thing and I'm probably not the best one to answer you since I like mine the way they came from the factory. You should do what "you" like!
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Nitto NT421Q "shoes"



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1146
amill is on a distinguished road
Re: Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

If they will be your primary wheels and you want them to look good, get them powder coated.

I plastidipped the winter wheels I'm using on my GC. I have Laredo X wheels that I sprayed black last fall. They've made it through two winter seasons and don't need a touch up. It's pretty strong stuff. Holds up to the salt and cleans right up. But, if they were my primary wheels, I'd spend the money for powder coating.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
5.7 Hemi v8
Rugged Brown
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Chicago_Style's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 959
Thanks: 9
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1320
Chicago_Style is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey403 View Post
Thanks for the input! Do you think these wheels would look good powder coated gloss black?
I have mine powder coated gloss black.. No issues and clean up nicely.. And if you can give the place or person doing it the rims alone, the cost is pretty reasonable. And yes it's permanent.. So maybe plasti dip yours, see how they look and see if you like it.. It will be a dull finish and don't waste money on the glossifier.. It isn't going to do what you want it to.. I also have had plasti dip on my emblems and door guards for about 7-8 months and they look great still.. Even though the winter.. Let me know if this helps or you have more questions!



image-439593791.jpg



image-3462943447.jpg



image-542460344.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3916725574.jpg (452.4 KB, 28 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Mikey403's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 322
Mikey403 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Style View Post
I have mine powder coated gloss black.. No issues and clean up nicely.. And if you can give the place or person doing it the rims alone, the cost is pretty reasonable. And yes it's permanent.. So maybe plasti dip yours, see how they look and see if you like it.. It will be a dull finish and don't waste money on the glossifier.. It isn't going to do what you want it to.. I also have had plasti dip on my emblems and door guards for about 7-8 months and they look great still.. Even though the winter.. Let me know if this helps or you have more questions!



Attachment 36832



Attachment 36833



Attachment 36834
Yup, that helped and thanks for the pics. I also plasti dipped my emblems before the winter and its holding up good.
I think I'm going to plasti dip the wheels first to see if i like it and I'm sure i will. Then ill get it powder coated gloss black before winter, gotta save up some money cause i just got a quote done at my buddies shop and its gonna be $120 per wheel plus mounting and balancing...seems expensive!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Chicago_Style's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 959
Thanks: 9
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1320
Chicago_Style is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey403 View Post
Yup, that helped and thanks for the pics. I also plasti dipped my emblems before the winter and its holding up good. I think I'm going to plasti dip the wheels first to see if i like it and I'm sure i will. Then ill get it powder coated gloss black before winter, gotta save up some money cause i just got a quote done at my buddies shop and its gonna be $120 per wheel plus mounting and balancing...seems expensive!
That's actually pretty good with the mounting and balance included.. But shop around and see what you can find.. What's nice is that they hold up great. Of course if you take a curb to it and such that's never good because I don't know if it can be recoated. But the durability compared to paint is great. Think of it this way.. It's gonna cost you about 500 for everything.. If you want new rims and tires. Your almost at 1700-2000 depending on what you want
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Chicago_Style's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 959
Thanks: 9
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1320
Chicago_Style is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Style View Post
That's actually pretty good with the mounting and balance included.. But shop around and see what you can find.. What's nice is that they hold up great. Of course if you take a curb to it and such that's never good because I don't know if it can be recoated. But the durability compared to paint is great. Think of it this way.. It's gonna cost you about 500 for everything.. If you want new rims and tires. Your almost at 1700-2000 depending on what you want
And now reading this again i are you meant 120 a rim and the balance and mount is extra.. Yea I see what you mean lol.. Find someone to hook you up with the tire mounting separately and if you can find someone to do the rims alone, you will get a good deal out there
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Mikey403's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 322
Mikey403 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Style View Post
That's actually pretty good with the mounting and balance included.. But shop around and see what you can find.. What's nice is that they hold up great. Of course if you take a curb to it and such that's never good because I don't know if it can be recoated. But the durability compared to paint is great. Think of it this way.. It's gonna cost you about 500 for everything.. If you want new rims and tires. Your almost at 1700-2000 depending on what you want
Very true! I just thought it was expensive but if its a reasonable price then I'm sure i will get it powder coated through my buddies shop.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Mikey403's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 322
Mikey403 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Powder Coating Vs Plasti Dip (Wheels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Style View Post
And now reading this again i are you meant 120 a rim and the balance and mount is extra.. Yea I see what you mean lol.. Find someone to hook you up with the tire mounting separately and if you can find someone to do the rims alone, you will get a good deal out there
haha i thought it seemed expensive....i just read over the quote and all together with the mounting and balancing and $120 per wheel its all going to be $711.11 with tax!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Chicago_Style's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 959
Thanks: 9
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1320
Chicago_Style is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey403 View Post
haha i thought it seemed expensive....i just read over the quote and all together with the mounting and balancing and $120 per wheel its all going to be $711.11 with tax!
I don't wanna tell you what I paid because the dealer set it up for me and had a rental and yadda yadda.. But it was a little more than what you were quoted and I had it factored in to the price so whatever.. But I called around and one particular guy said bring me the rims I'll do them for 50-60 a rim.. Obviously I was already set on my deal so what could I do.. The tricky part is getting the rims off and having the car sit jacket up for 2-3 days....
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few Pics W/Plasti Dip and Wheels(not plasti-dip) Blk2014 Members Rides-Showoff 24 09-16-2013 07:11 PM
How to Plasti Dip your wheels GiggityGiggity Tech Tips/DIY/How to 167 07-21-2013 09:52 PM
Plasti Dip my Wheels? ONEbadHEEPtruck Wheels and Tires 14 04-03-2013 07:38 PM
Powder coating or Paint? on wheels SRTDZGN Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 11 03-11-2013 02:01 PM
Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims navger Wheels and Tires 28 12-01-2012 03:39 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.