So I bought a set of used 18" Mopar wheels for off-roading (currently I have 20" on my Overland), they were in good shape for the price I paid for them but I decided to make them look better..
Sorry I didn't take before photos but here's the photo sent to me from the seller before the deal, they are painted in black and clear coated:
Cleaning and decontaminating process:
- Rinsed with hose.
- Cleaned with CG All Clean+ 1:10 (dwell, scrub with wheel woollies & rinse).
- Cleaned with Sonax Full Effect (dwell, scrub with wheel woollies & rinse).
- Nanoskin mitt with ONR lube.
- Dried with MF towels and air dried.
- Chemical paint cleaning with DP Prep Polish and black MF towels.
Here's a photo of the test 5th wheel (spare) after cleaning and just tested the compound on 1 or 2 spokes:
Polishing and Coating process:
- Meguiar's Ultimate Compound using Meguiars's Dynacone at full speed on the drill.
- Optimum Finish Polish using the same Meg's Dynacone but at half speed on the drill and I cleaned it with a brush and MF towel before polishing.
- IPA wipe down.
- Coated with CarPro Dlux using cotton pads to wipe on and suede cloth to wipe off after a couple minutes.
Here's a photo after polishing and coating, not perfect but much better now:
I'll take more photos after putting them on with the new AT tires..
I primed the foam cone well with good amount of product before I start and I divided each wheel to 6 sections and was using ample amount of product for each sections..
- Meg's UC was dusting like crazy and very little working time! I don't know if that's normal or because of the high rotation speed on the drill, .
- The Dynacone started shedding foam in the middle of polishing step and I don't think it can be used again
it's shredded now, I think it's because I didn't wash it after compounding but I didn't have time to wash it and wait for it another day to dry.
Here's the Dynacone after polishing: