Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 706
kjbean07 is on a distinguished road
Tire rotation question

So I noticed that my Michelin Latitudes are wearing unevenly, despite the fact that I have had them rotated every 9k miles. When I brought it in to the Jeep dealership for an oil change last week, I noticed that both the front and rear passenger side tires were worn the most - they had less tread overall (compared to the drivers side) and were worn a little more on the outside of the tires. Anyway, I had them rotate the tires last week for the 3rd time (I've got about 27k miles on the Jeep) and when I got home, I noticed that the two worn tires were still both on the passenger side. I saw them lift the Jeep and removed the tires, but didn't watch them rotate. I imagine they just did a front to back swap - is this the correct way to do it?? I thought you were supposed to criss-cross them, in an X pattern.. Could this be why my tires have worn unevenly? (I've always had the tires rotated at this dealership). I haven't had the wheels aligned (bought the Jeep new a year ago, probably should have), but I'm a little disappointed in the fact that I'm going to be replacing my tires in the next few weeks, with under 30k miles on them.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM
jacko15's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pennsylvania's North Shore
Posts: 2,097
Thanks: 209
Thanked 151 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 89505
jacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tire rotation question

This is from the '14 owner's manual:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotation.JPG (17.4 KB, 25 views)
__________________

__________________
Mine: 2014 Overland 4x4 V6, ORA II, billet silver/black, Michelin LTX M/S 2's, MaxCare Lifetime, delivered 4-13-'13
Wife's Jeep: 2008 Compass Sport 4x4, 2.4L I4 DOHC, CVT, Lifetime powertrain warranty
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jacko15 For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,155
Thanks: 24
Thanked 61 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 43571
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tire rotation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbean07 View Post
So I noticed that my Michelin Latitudes are wearing unevenly, despite the fact that I have had them rotated every 9k miles. When I brought it in to the Jeep dealership for an oil change last week, I noticed that both the front and rear passenger side tires were worn the most - they had less tread overall (compared to the drivers side) and were worn a little more on the outside of the tires. Anyway, I had them rotate the tires last week for the 3rd time (I've got about 27k miles on the Jeep) and when I got home, I noticed that the two worn tires were still both on the passenger side. I saw them lift the Jeep and removed the tires, but didn't watch them rotate. I imagine they just did a front to back swap - is this the correct way to do it?? I thought you were supposed to criss-cross them, in an X pattern.. Could this be why my tires have worn unevenly? (I've always had the tires rotated at this dealership). I haven't had the wheels aligned (bought the Jeep new a year ago, probably should have), but I'm a little disappointed in the fact that I'm going to be replacing my tires in the next few weeks, with under 30k miles on them.
I'd ask them if they X rotate them. Some places just do a front rear, as it can be done one side at a time. The Latitudes aren't exactly long life versions, but 30K seems a bit soon. When you swap, consider the Michelin M+S/2 which tends to go more like 70K and has much better dry/wet traction than the Latitude. Doesn't seem any noisier to me either, unlike the AT/2
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM
jacko15's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pennsylvania's North Shore
Posts: 2,097
Thanks: 209
Thanked 151 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 89505
jacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond reputejacko15 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tire rotation question

I would also consider an alignment check. A friend of mine who manages a tire store told me that with the way vehicles are built today you can be out of alignment and not feel anything, like pulling or vibration. Before you know it the tires are wearing unevenly.
__________________
Mine: 2014 Overland 4x4 V6, ORA II, billet silver/black, Michelin LTX M/S 2's, MaxCare Lifetime, delivered 4-13-'13
Wife's Jeep: 2008 Compass Sport 4x4, 2.4L I4 DOHC, CVT, Lifetime powertrain warranty
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 706
kjbean07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tire rotation question

Yeah, I'm planning on replacing these with the Michelin LTX MS2's. The Latitudes will still pass inspection, but with winter coming and living in New England, I want to have the new set of tires on before the snow comes. I've heard good things about the MS2's so I'm eager to try them out, especially in the snow.

I will definitely get an alignment done when the new tires are put on, and probably have another alignment done in 6 months even if I don't notice any issues.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 694
johngreen1234 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tire rotation question

Time for "OCD Theater". I took a marking pen and discretely numbered my wheels, 1-5, including the matching spare. When I go to the dealer for my $19.95 oil change +rotation, I draw out a diagram, "before" and "after", of the rotation scheme for 5 tires. If they use the diagram they get it right the first time.

BTW, I bring my own Pennzoil Platinum.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM
tomk's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 345
Thanks: 7
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1877
tomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tire rotation question

Unless the tires are directional, you need to do the cross.

If you don't have the matching spare wheel, then the spare doesn't play.

I had latitudes on my '07 for 50K miles, I did not find them to be short lived, but then again there are at least three different "Latitude" versions..

...tom
__________________
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L !!
And a few past Durangos
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 706
kjbean07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tire rotation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngreen1234 View Post
Time for "OCD Theater". I took a marking pen and discretely numbered my wheels, 1-5, including the matching spare. When I go to the dealer for my $19.95 oil change +rotation, I draw out a diagram, "before" and "after", of the rotation scheme for 5 tires. If they use the diagram they get it right the first time.

BTW, I bring my own Pennzoil Platinum.

Kind of sad that you have to mark everything and draw a diagram... can't people do things right anymore?

I just called the service department of the dealership explaining my situation to them. They are going to have a manager call me back on Monday. I feel like I should be compensated some how if they haven't been rotating my tires properly, since I now have to dish out $1100+ for new tires. The girl I spoke with on the phone said that the actual service guys (not the Quick Lane) do the cross rotation, but the Quick Lane guy just told her that they only do front to back... I feel like that's not right. Quick Lane or not, I'm paying them to rotate my tires, so I'd expect that they'd do it properly per manufactures specifications. So we shall see what they say on Monday...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2013, 02:10 PM
AAAA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,597
Thanks: 18
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 1543353
AAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tire rotation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbean07 View Post
Yeah, I'm planning on replacing these with the Michelin LTX MS2's. The Latitudes will still pass inspection, but with winter coming and living in New England, I want to have the new set of tires on before the snow comes. I've heard good things about the MS2's so I'm eager to try them out, especially in the snow.

I will definitely get an alignment done when the new tires are put on, and probably have another alignment done in 6 months even if I don't notice any issues.
I found the LTX M/S 2's to be very good in the snow, but only average on ice. That is to be expected as they are a high mileage (70,000 miles) tire and thus the compound is harder rubber. You might also consider the Nokian WR G2 SUV which is a 12 month harsh weather rated tire. It will not last as long as the LTX M/S 2, but will be better on ice. I am starting to see them around here on Grand Cherokees, but still see more Michelins and GY Silent Armors (now discontinued).

I have the Nokian WR G2's on my Subaru and it is unstoppable in the winter.
__________________
Limited- Michelin LTX M/S 2's, chrome fog bezels, front and t. c. skid plates, Bosch Icon blades, Husky X-Act Contour slush mats, MOPAR cargo mat.
(Avatar- http://www.ussslater.org/)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 706
kjbean07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tire rotation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAA View Post
I found the LTX M/S 2's to be very good in the snow, but only average on ice. That is to be expected as they are a high mileage (70,000 miles) tire and thus the compound is harder rubber. You might also consider the Nokian WR G2 SUV which is a 12 month harsh weather rated tire. It will not last as long as the LTX M/S 2, but will be better on ice. I am starting to see them around here on Grand Cherokees, but still see more Michelins and GY Silent Armors (now discontinued).

I have the Nokian WR G2's on my Subaru and it is unstoppable in the winter.
Ahhh, I was all set to buy the LTX M/S2, but now you've got me thinking about getting winter tires instead, haha. I've had Blizzak's on my two previous vehicles (one being a Subaru), and they were awesome.

Last year I made it through winter with the Latitudes on my Jeep, and I'd say it did ok - wasn't great, but wasn't horrible. I was a little disappointed though, comparing it to the previous Jeep's I've owned, but maybe they were better in the snow because of the old select trac 4wd?

Anyway, I will probably give the LTX M/S2's a try and see how they are this winter. I couldn't go with something like the Nokian's year round because I drive a lot, and would like a good high mileage tire for the rest of the year (the reason I'm also not going with an AT tire, even though I want to haha). If I'm not happy with the new Michelin's, I'll look into getting a dedicated winter tire for next year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 417
Slim7777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tire rotation question

Give the warranty claim a try with Michelin. I did and they prorated my new MS2's despite some uneven wear on my Lattitudes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 706
kjbean07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tire rotation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim7777 View Post
Give the warranty claim a try with Michelin. I did and they prorated my new MS2's despite some uneven wear on my Lattitudes.
I stopped in at Town Fair Tire (authorized Michelin dealer) and they said I wouldn't have any luck with a warranty claim since I hadn't had an alignment...

My main issue is the Jeep dealer's quick lane service did not properly rotate my tires. I don't understand why their service department would rotate tires properly, but the Quick Lane wouldn't - the Jeep was on a lift and there were two guys rotating them, so it wouldn't take much longer... Anyway, I put in a call to the Jeep dealer and the Quick Lane manager is going to give me a call tomorrow. I am hoping to get some money from them (or from Michelin, through them) to put toward new tires. I will keep you posted.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire rotation comnjeep Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 4 07-13-2012 12:22 AM
Tire Rotation swing4terps Troubleshooting/Problems 4 07-02-2012 10:38 PM
Tire Rotation kkcwk10 Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 6 03-14-2012 10:12 PM
5 tire rotation Jvenrick Wheels and Tires 3 01-05-2012 11:27 PM
Tire Rotation?? Dnizzle80 Grand Cherokee - WK 5 10-31-2011 01:08 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community