Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 175
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1402
capitalst is on a distinguished road
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Another thing to think about is resale down the road. A 2012 with be worth more than the 2011 say in 3 or 5 years. Saving another $1k from incentives will never make up for the one year more in deprecation. I would jump on a 2011 today since I'm loosing my mind waiting for my 2012 to finally be built but I also like to think long term. I will get a new vehicle in 3-5 years and losing say 3-4k more in value won't make me feel any better about me jumping on a 2011 today when I could easily wait a few more week for my 2012.

Plus, as you know they work out bugs with any new car and having the 2nd year of a model help in my opinion.

Others might disagree with me on this but thats how I look at it.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 465
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1903
HEMInator is on a distinguished road
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalst View Post
Another thing to think about is resale down the road. A 2012 with be worth more than the 2011 say in 3 or 5 years. Saving another $1k from incentives will never make up for the one year more in deprecation. I would jump on a 2011 today since I'm loosing my mind waiting for my 2012 to finally be built but I also like to think long term. I will get a new vehicle in 3-5 years and losing say 3-4k more in value won't make me feel any better about me jumping on a 2011 today when I could easily wait a few more week for my 2012.

Plus, as you know they work out bugs with any new car and having the 2nd year of a model help in my opinion.

Others might disagree with me on this but thats how I look at it.
That's not necessarily true. Look at this thread I started and specifically look at my post 6 which gives an example. While it is true that the 2012 will be worth a little more in resale 3-5 years from now as you say, you have to look at the price differences and the rebates which are sure to increase after 6 Sept when the current ones expire and the 2012s are officially launched and advertised by Jeep. You'll see that the current price differences will exceed the resale difference. If you're financing, that will likely widen the gap and you could also get really detailed and look at the time value of money saved now and how much you'd make in 3-5 years which just widens the gap yet again. If you're thinking long term, 2011 is really the way to go when you look at the numbers.

2011 vs. 2012 = 2011 is Winner (Sorry just added the thread link)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 175
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1402
capitalst is on a distinguished road
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

I agree the incentives would have to jump to at least $2,500 and also get at least 1.9% over 60 months to make sense. But, I don't plan to wait till 9/9/11 to see. I plan to close this month. I'm already getting $1,100 under invoice. I also have 1.9% financing for 60 months through a local CU. I guess for me it makes sense. Besides my past experience with 1st year models has been pretty bad. I would rather not experience these issues again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 465
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1903
HEMInator is on a distinguished road
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalst View Post
I agree the incentives would have to jump to at least $2,500 and also get at least 1.9% over 60 months to make sense. But, I don't plan to wait till 9/9/11 to see. I plan to close this month. I'm already getting $1,100 under invoice. I also have 1.9% financing for 60 months through a local CU. I guess for me it makes sense. Besides my past experience with 1st year models has been pretty bad. I would rather not experience these issues again.
I hear you. Everyone has to make their own decision I'm just providing information. I'm not in a hurry so I'm curious to see what happens after 6 September. I know right now I can get about $2500 below invoice with USAA and that doesn't take into account the cost savings over a 2012. One of my toughest things is going to be finding what I want in a 2011 (Mineral Grey/Light Frost Beige--insanely tough combo but can't get wife to OK Saddle and Black is a no go here in Texas for me...done that before..not again, Overland, 4X4, V8, RHR, and ideally ORAG II although if I found one equipped the way I wanted without ORAG II, I could do the plates and hooks afterwards since I'd have to work a trade with the dealer on the 20''wheels/tires because I don't want the 18s with the ORAG II).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1399
tibbs14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

I was looking at TSB 18-035-11, and it says it applies to vehicles built before April 4th. I assume that means vehicles built after have this TSB incorporated? So Jeeps on the lot could already have the "6 speed" transmission.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 465
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1903
HEMInator is on a distinguished road
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbs14 View Post
I was looking at TSB 18-035-11, and it says it applies to vehicles built before April 4th. I assume that means vehicles built after have this TSB incorporated? So Jeeps on the lot could already have the "6 speed" transmission.
Yes that is the understanding. Late build 2011s or those built that have had the TSB done should have the same programming as was done on the 2012 "6spd" since the ratios are the same as posted earlier in the thread.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 PM
ColdCase's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 26408
ColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

I dunno, does the new programming have 1-2-3-4-5-6 and D selections?

My mid May build only has 1-2-3-4-5 and D

What is the torque converter change that went into the 2012, perhaps there is where improvements lie?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1381
ctwickman is on a distinguished road
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMInator View Post
What it means is that if you purchased a 2011 V8 with the 5spd, your fuel economy is the newly rated 13/20 after the TSB vs. 13/19 which is on the sticker. The 13/20 is the new rating for the 2012 Hemi with the "6spd".
How is that possible though? The final drive ratio is the exact same either way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
ColdCase's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 26408
ColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond reputeColdCase has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwickman View Post
How is that possible though? The final drive ratio is the exact same either way.
Could be the new/revised torque converter?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Red G8R's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 899
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 2397
Red G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I dunno, does the new programming have 1-2-3-4-5-6 and D selections?

My mid May build only has 1-2-3-4-5 and D

What is the torque converter change that went into the 2012, perhaps there is where improvements lie?
I asked the same and had no response as yet. Hopefully someone with the new 6 speed will chime in and let us know if the EVIC displays 1-2-3-4-5-6-D.
__________________
Peter
2011 GC Overland, 4x4, 5.7L, Q-L, 730N, White/Beige. :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 PM
sined240's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 358
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1907
sined240 has a reputation beyond reputesined240 has a reputation beyond reputesined240 has a reputation beyond reputesined240 has a reputation beyond reputesined240 has a reputation beyond reputesined240 has a reputation beyond reputesined240 has a reputation beyond reputesined240 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

I am set to take delivery sometime on tuesday or wednesday depending on schedule, and will report then. There are a couple 2012 Overlands set for delivery this week according to the tracking thread so hold on tight...
__________________
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
5.7 V8 MDS HEMI
Mineral Gray Ext / Saddle Int

2012 Town & Country Touring-L
3.6 V6 VVT Pentastar
Dark Charcoal Ext / Black Int
Driver Conv / Sunroof / Dual DVD / 730N RHR

Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Red G8R's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 899
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 2397
Red G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why little to no confirmed info on 2012 6sp auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sined240 View Post
I am set to take delivery sometime on tuesday or wednesday depending on schedule, and will report then. There are a couple 2012 Overlands set for delivery this week according to the tracking thread so hold on tight...
Looking forward to your report.
I'm really hoping you see all 6 gears displayed in EVIC otherwise it's a big let down for Chrysler.
__________________

__________________
Peter
2011 GC Overland, 4x4, 5.7L, Q-L, 730N, White/Beige. :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Wrangler Info jeepin dave Wrangler-JK 18 10-02-2011 04:33 PM
I'm surprised we have no further info on the 2012 6 speed auto capitalst Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 17 07-18-2011 01:48 AM
2012 WK2 Info jeepin dave Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 03-21-2011 08:27 PM
Good Auto Warranty Info. jeepgcoman Grand Cherokee - WK 0 12-28-2010 05:32 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community