Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Members Rides-Showoff

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #109  
Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 PM
JeepGCOverland's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 166
Thanked 61 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 1934
JeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

So, the shop called and said I need a full engine replacement, and that it will be done in 2 weeks. I am not at all thrilled with this news, as this will likely kill resale value. Furthermore, replacement parts never work or fit quite as well as the originals, and I doubt the Jeep will be the same after the replacement. Obviously, I will wait and see how the Jeep functions after the replacement before doing anything, but I might try to get a replacement. Does anyone with more experience have any input?
__________________

__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite/Beige, 5.7L HEMI V8, Quadra-Drive II, Advanced Technology Group

Pictures- http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/2014-...ite-61813.html
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 533
Thanks: 1
Thanked 59 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 5205
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
What exactly was the failure with the engine?

I see from your profile that you have the 5.7. I wouldn't necessarily think a replacement won't "fit" or "feel" the same--engine swap out on these vehicles is actually fairly straightforward as they're pretty modular in nature. It basically comes down to supporting the transmission, unbolting the engine from the transmission case and torque converter, disconnecting wiring harnesses, coolant and cooler lines, unbolting from the mounts, and lifting the engine out, then doing the reverse. It'll come down to the technicians care and attention more than anything else.

Resale value wise...it probably won't be as big of a hit as you're concerned unless you're planning on selling it in the next year. Even then I haven't seen an engine replacement hit resale that much, if at all. Remember, you're getting a new engine which means the clock starts over on that component. You'd have a bigger resale issue if the engine type had a big history of failures, not a specific engine, and the 5.7 isn't a huge problem child these days.

I'd say let them do the replacement, then drive it a bit and see if anything is amiss. Remember to go through a bit of a break-in cycle again with the new one. If you're not satisfied with the repair, then start investigating or pursuing other options. As it stands right now you won't have any recourse legally, and although your dealership GM might argue your case it's going to be rare to get a replacement without continuing issues or long (a month at least) periods of down time.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter_K For This Useful Post:
  #111  
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: RI
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 429
RI_2014 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

It should have zero impact on the resale of the jeep unless someone can pull the service records. At least it is being replaced. You will be getting a brand new create motor! It should run just like when you drove it off the lot.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 11-28-2013, 12:05 AM
JustinS's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 91
Thanks: 83
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 740
JustinS is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

You could try for a new SRT 6.4L motor for all the inconvenience caused
__________________
'14 GC Overland Granite
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-28-2013, 01:29 PM
JeepGCOverland's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 166
Thanked 61 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 1934
JeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
You could try for a new SRT 6.4L motor for all the inconvenience caused
I thought about it, and maybe would have even paid extra, but I don't think the swap is that simple.
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite/Beige, 5.7L HEMI V8, Quadra-Drive II, Advanced Technology Group

Pictures- http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/2014-...ite-61813.html
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-28-2013, 01:44 PM
JeepGCOverland's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 166
Thanked 61 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 1934
JeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

So, I am either purchasing either a RRS or JGC SRT soon. If I can get a pretty good deal on the RRS, I am getting that. I'd say there is a 50% chance I get the HSE, a 40% chance I get the Supercharged, and a 10% chance I get the Autobiography (depends on which one I get the best deal on). If I cannot get a good deal on a RRS, I will probably get a JGC SRT. The RRS is undeniably nicer than the JGC SRT (not to say the JGC SRT is not nice, the RRS is just on another level) has more features, and is less of a hardcore performance SUV (which is not a bad thing, but I am not sure that is what I want). The RRS is a lot more expensive, but I am willing to spend the extra money (even though it is not as good of a value). Right now I would say there is a 45% chance I get a RRS, a 20% chance I get a JGC SRT, a 10% chance I get a Porsche Macan, and a 25% chance I keep the Lexus GX460 for a little longer.
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite/Beige, 5.7L HEMI V8, Quadra-Drive II, Advanced Technology Group

Pictures- http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/2014-...ite-61813.html
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 533
Thanks: 1
Thanked 59 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 5205
Peter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond reputePeter_K has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland View Post
I thought about it, and maybe would have even paid extra, but I don't think the swap is that simple.
Its not. New exhaust and additional wiring/piping and sensors, and new software for practically every module. It's be a bear to get it working right with all the systems, but it'd be interesting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 AM
JustinS's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 91
Thanks: 83
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 740
JustinS is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

Yeah would probably be easier to turn an SRT into a Overland, with wheels & bodykit. Dissapointing you've had this engine trouble.
Goodluck with your decision on the next car, the rrs is fantastic that's for sure.
__________________
'14 GC Overland Granite
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 473
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 1832
Snipe315 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland View Post
So, I am either purchasing either a RRS or JGC SRT soon. If I can get a pretty good deal on the RRS, I am getting that. I'd say there is a 50% chance I get the HSE, a 40% chance I get the Supercharged, and a 10% chance I get the Autobiography (depends on which one I get the best deal on). If I cannot get a good deal on a RRS, I will probably get a JGC SRT. The RRS is undeniably nicer than the JGC SRT (not to say the JGC SRT is not nice, the RRS is just on another level) has more features, and is less of a hardcore performance SUV (which is not a bad thing, but I am not sure that is what I want). The RRS is a lot more expensive, but I am willing to spend the extra money (even though it is not as good of a value). Right now I would say there is a 45% chance I get a RRS, a 20% chance I get a JGC SRT, a 10% chance I get a Porsche Macan, and a 25% chance I keep the Lexus GX460 for a little longer.
Sorry to hear about your problem! It was your pictures and experience that was making me lean heavily towards trading in my 2012 Overland for a 2014.

Well the RRS has far more off road ability than the SRT so that is a plus. And the V8 Super Charged model is almost as fast as the SRT.

But I'd do more research into Land Rover/Range Rover reliability. Its not much (if any) better than Jeep/Chrysler.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 PM
JeepGCOverland's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 166
Thanked 61 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 1934
JeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem! It was your pictures and experience that was making me lean heavily towards trading in my 2012 Overland for a 2014.

Well the RRS has far more off road ability than the SRT so that is a plus. And the V8 Super Charged model is almost as fast as the SRT.

But I'd do more research into Land Rover/Range Rover reliability. Its not much (if any) better than Jeep/Chrysler.
The engine problem was a total fluke (no one else on the forum has experienced it), and has nothing to do with the MY2014 updates (it was a fuel injector that broke, and the engine has been the same since MY2011).

Just to be clear, my decision to probably go with the RRS over the JGC SRT has nothing to do with reliability concerns. The RRS just appeals to me more because I already have a JGC and it might be somewhat boring to own two of the same vehicles. Also, I think owning an SRT will take away from the Overland, which will probably be thought of as a "worse" version of the SRT as opposed to a different vehicle with the RRS. However, there is still definitely a good chance I go with the JGC SRT. In the end, they are both great vehicles and I would be more than pleased with either.
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite/Beige, 5.7L HEMI V8, Quadra-Drive II, Advanced Technology Group

Pictures- http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/2014-...ite-61813.html
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 PM
JeepGCOverland's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 166
Thanked 61 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 1934
JeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

Update: The problem with the JGC was a fuel injector that broke and flooded the engine with gas. As for a rental, Chrysler got me a 2014 JGC Limited (Lux II, V6, RWD) with 20,000 miles. I am happy with this rental, as it is about the closest they could have gotten to what I have. I take back all of my comments about Chrysler not handling the situation very well, as I have been very impressed and the whole process has gone rather smoothly. I do understand the rough shifting problem that people with the V6's have been having after a few days, and it is extremely annoying. The 1-2-3 shifts, especially in SPort mode, are clunky, jerky, and horrible. Other than that, I am definitely missing my HEMI power. The V6 is ample but not quick, does not sound as good as my HEMI, and has to try a lot harder. For instance, the V6 shifts down a ton of gears and revs extremely high when passing, and it also takes a second for the power to kick in. My HEMI feels effortless when passing, even at 80 MPH. Overall, the V6 is not too bad but I am definitely glad I got the HEMI.

The next update I give you guys will either come when I buy a JGC SRT or RRS, or when my Jeep is fixed (hopefully this week).
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite/Beige, 5.7L HEMI V8, Quadra-Drive II, Advanced Technology Group

Pictures- http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/2014-...ite-61813.html
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:33 PM
willjeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York NY
Posts: 270
Thanks: 17
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 558891
willjeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond reputewilljeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite

I am glad they took care of you! so far my overland has zero problems. Ok I can't shut off the heated seats and steering wheel on remote stare. but im not that picky. As far as the paint I believe what a poster said about all paint is soft due to environmental concerns. Hey its a jeep it's going to get scratched.
__________________

__________________
Mine!:2014.5 Overland 4x4, True Blue w/Indigo Blue/Brown Leather Interior, 5.7 liter, Advanced Technology Group, Off-Road Adventure II.
AAC /Stop, entry exit on park

You never forget your first 2005 WK, Limited 5.7 L Hemi off road package.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland (Granite) *photo heavy* Copefree Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 26 05-07-2013 12:01 AM
2014 Granite Overland 4x4 - 35% Tint/Jeep Wind Deflector mka18 Members Rides-Showoff 10 04-22-2013 09:30 AM
Led in action 2014 Overland Granite botornig Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 16 03-20-2013 12:49 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.