Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK > SRT8 General Discussion > Interior/Exterior Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
YYCSRT8's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2009 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1639
YYCSRT8 is on a distinguished road
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

I heard back from Trufiber.....the reason their Jeep hoods are 2-3 times the price of the other hoods on their website - Jeep hood is a "limited production hood". Nothing to do with the leading edge design and all to do with gouging us Jeep owners.
__________________

__________________
Jay

2009 Black SRT8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,404
Thanks: 876
Thanked 1,050 Times in 725 Posts
Rep Power: 7718324
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

please....they cost the same to make
__________________

__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Long Live the Graphite Ghost

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 55
Thanked 133 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 542670
robpp has disabled reputation
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCSRT8 View Post
I heard back from Trufiber.....the reason their Jeep hoods are 2-3 times the price of the other hoods on their website - Jeep hood is a "limited production hood". Nothing to do with the leading edge design and all to do with gouging us Jeep owners.
in my post i said 'i asked other manufacturers' and have never asked trufiber.

if thats the case, and I am sure it is, then IMO all of the hoods being made today fall into that same category

further, the reality is if you want a hood for your jeep, this is how much they are. your choice - want one pay up. if not, move on. Its all rather simple.

i cant speak for Ops and how many he has delivered but i do know there are less than 100 Medic hoods in existence. so between, what 3 companies selling Jeep hoods, they havent collectively sold 200. I would bet you ask trufiber how many Mustang or Camaro hoods they probably sell 100 a month for each type. companies are in business to make money.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:42 PM
YYCSRT8's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2009 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1639
YYCSRT8 is on a distinguished road
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
in my post i said 'i asked other manufacturers' and have never asked trufiber.

if thats the case, and I am sure it is, then IMO all of the hoods being made today fall into that same category

further, the reality is if you want a hood for your jeep, this is how much they are. your choice - want one pay up. if not, move on. Its all rather simple.

i cant speak for Ops and how many he has delivered but i do know there are less than 100 Medic hoods in existence. so between, what 3 companies selling Jeep hoods, they havent collectively sold 200. I would bet you ask trufiber how many Mustang or Camaro hoods they probably sell 100 a month for each type. companies are in business to make money.....
Exactly - and I'm guessing they're selling all those Mustang and Camaro hoods because those hoods are priced appropriately at or around $529. Guess I'll just have to wait until these guys clue-in.....
__________________
Jay

2009 Black SRT8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:56 PM
ShortReactionTime's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2007 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington, N.C.
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1761
ShortReactionTime is on a distinguished road
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

Just my opinion but, I would think that the majority of people who buy Jeeps are using them as a work horse or a "family" vehicle. Only a percentage of owners are avid "car guys" like us. And on the flip side, mustang and camaro owners are more prone to make modifications to thier rides. It is hard to see how a hood can cost twice as much to make after the mold is already made.

All that being said, I still want one. And I will pay twice as much as a mustang hood. Simply because my Jeep is twice as good as a Mustang.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 PM
YYCSRT8's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2009 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1639
YYCSRT8 is on a distinguished road
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortReactionTime View Post
Just my opinion but, I would think that the majority of people who buy Jeeps are using them as a work horse or a "family" vehicle. Only a percentage of owners are avid "car guys" like us. And on the flip side, mustang and camaro owners are more prone to make modifications to thier rides. It is hard to see how a hood can cost twice as much to make after the mold is already made.

All that being said, I still want one. And I will pay twice as much as a mustang hood. Simply because my Jeep is twice as good as a Mustang.
I guess, but it still doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint. Why sell 3 hoods at $1,000 when you could sell 20+ at $529? The lack of interest in their current group-buy thread should have been the indicator that something wasn't right with their formula.
__________________
Jay

2009 Black SRT8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1823
murfman is just really nice
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

It is the basic law of supply and demand. There is no where near the demand for a Jeep hood as there is for a Charger/Challenger/Camaro/Mustang hood, so they have to recoup the R&D expense over a smaller run of hoods. Honestly Worldwide, how many WKs have aftermarket hoods 500? I bet it is not even close to that. I drive around the greater Chicagoland area every day, and besides my Jeep I have only seen 1 other with an aftermarket hood, ever.
__________________
06 GCSRT-8 392
05 SRT-4 ACR Stage 3 W/ toys
98 Wrangler 4.0
99 Ram 2500 4x4 Desert Chase project 488
53 Plymouth Surf wagon project 218/T5
51 Willys Beer Buggy 134 F Head
50 Chrysler Cruiser 505/518
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
YYCSRT8's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2009 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1639
YYCSRT8 is on a distinguished road
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfman View Post
It is the basic law of supply and demand. There is no where near the demand for a Jeep hood as there is for a Charger/Challenger/Camaro/Mustang hood, so they have to recoup the R&D expense over a smaller run of hoods. Honestly Worldwide, how many WKs have aftermarket hoods 500? I bet it is not even close to that. I drive around the greater Chicagoland area every day, and besides my Jeep I have only seen 1 other with an aftermarket hood, ever.
I would think the demand for a fully functional F-150 hood would be even less, but it looks like they're retailing for $419. How many of these do you think are rolling around worldwide? As for supply and demand, these guys are way off equilibrium.

__________________
Jay

2009 Black SRT8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Long Live the Graphite Ghost

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 55
Thanked 133 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 542670
robpp has disabled reputation
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

as i said before, all the current jeep hood vendors seem to have the same pricing model.

oh well. i can see 2 choices for you. either buck up or move on......

well maybe there is another since you seem to under stand supply chain economics and pricing models so well..........start your own hood business.
according to your model, you'll make millions.

let us know how that works out for you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,404
Thanks: 876
Thanked 1,050 Times in 725 Posts
Rep Power: 7718324
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

wow....$419 for a F150 hood. Thats nutz
__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM
White Chocolate's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 8,336
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 0
White Chocolate is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

In a way I agree, lower price a lot more guys on this site would be purchasing the hoods. Doesnt make sense when hoods that are of the same style are 500 dollars cheaper
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
YYCSRT8's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2009 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1639
YYCSRT8 is on a distinguished road
Re: TRUFIBER Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
as i said before, all the current jeep hood vendors seem to have the same pricing model.

oh well. i can see 2 choices for you. either buck up or move on......

well maybe there is another since you seem to under stand supply chain economics and pricing models so well..........start your own hood business.
according to your model, you'll make millions.

let us know how that works out for you.
It's not really about bucking up or moving on, it's about getting myself and others on this forum a better deal on this hood (yourself included). I mean isn't that really what it's all about? As a moderator on this site and fellow Jeep enthusiast I was sort of expecting you to back me on this, but instead you seem contempt to back Trufiber and their overinflated prices. Oh well.....

As far as economics are concerned, I'm by no means an expert, but I do know a supply of 15 hoods offered at $1,000 a piece, and a demand of roughly 4, just doesn't add up.
__________________

__________________
Jay

2009 Black SRT8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's Here, "THE BLACK OPS VENOM HOOD -FULL CARBON FIBER-" + Rear CF STEP !! but... BOYCHIKS Members Rides 65 07-08-2010 01:03 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.