Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Photo/Video > Members Rides

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #133  
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 PM
soontobesrt's Avatar
I drive a modern day Woody
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia,PA ----> Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 31
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 3246
soontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

This is so awesome man! Love that your keeping in the family too! Are you just using the body/interior of the Willys and dimply dropping it on the Jeeps chassis/powertrain? I saw you scrapped the entire Jeep, just curious of exactly what piece would be used? Also wondering what kind of budget you have if yo dont mind? I know this is a longgg and complex project, just wondering how much outside stuff you are going to need to get? I cant even imagine trying to run all the Jeeps electrical crap and then hiding it nicely? And then mounting everything, this is going to be one serious build!
__________________

__________________

Mods: A Bunch



Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
maxst2's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2006 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakland,IA
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 198434
maxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond reputemaxst2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Re: Grand Willys project

Coming along nicely since I last looked in here. Happy trails mate!
__________________

__________________
2006 65th Anni. Grand Cherokee 4x4 in black w/ 4.7L V8
MODS:
Installed- HID 5000k kit in fogs, Superchips programmer,AFE stage 2 intake, Jet 180* Thermostat, De-badged, Flyin' Ryan Modified Throttle Body - Ported then bored out. Magnaflow muffler. Rola Roof basket, Stubby Antenna, bquiet sound dampening for the rear deck. Rigid led spots on rola rack.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM
lll2for3lll's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 6,283
Thanks: 486
Thanked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 469569
lll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Grand Willys project

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
seriously, a magazine should pick up this story and run an article.
I'm about to make a phone call now.
__________________
Jeep: 2005 WK | OME Lift Kit & 1.5 Rear Coil Spacers (3" of lift front & rear) | 255/75/17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM1 on stock wheels (no spacers) | SCT Tuner with 93 Octane Tune | Fastman TB | K&N 77 Series | Pioneer 7" Double Din | Pioneer D-Series 6 Speaker Upgrade | Custom Rear Peek-A-Boo Camera | 5K TRS XB35 HID Bulbs & Mini Morimoto Retrofitted Projectors | Parking Lights Deleted | PIAA 510 in OEM foglight location modded for OEM foglight harness | 6K V-LEDS Reverse | 5K V-LEDS License Plate | 6K V-LEDS Interior | Custom Overhead Console Blue Ambient Light | LXHarness Complete Blue Interior Upgrade | 5% on top of 20% Tint & 50% on the whole windshield | Debadged
Bike: 2009 Yamaha Raven R1 | CrossPlane | Far from stock
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
lll2for3lll's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 6,283
Thanks: 486
Thanked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 469569
lll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond reputelll2for3lll has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Grand Willys project

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
I'm about to make a phone call now.
Never mind. I longer have the contact I need.
__________________
Jeep: 2005 WK | OME Lift Kit & 1.5 Rear Coil Spacers (3" of lift front & rear) | 255/75/17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM1 on stock wheels (no spacers) | SCT Tuner with 93 Octane Tune | Fastman TB | K&N 77 Series | Pioneer 7" Double Din | Pioneer D-Series 6 Speaker Upgrade | Custom Rear Peek-A-Boo Camera | 5K TRS XB35 HID Bulbs & Mini Morimoto Retrofitted Projectors | Parking Lights Deleted | PIAA 510 in OEM foglight location modded for OEM foglight harness | 6K V-LEDS Reverse | 5K V-LEDS License Plate | 6K V-LEDS Interior | Custom Overhead Console Blue Ambient Light | LXHarness Complete Blue Interior Upgrade | 5% on top of 20% Tint & 50% on the whole windshield | Debadged
Bike: 2009 Yamaha Raven R1 | CrossPlane | Far from stock
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1658784
Gojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobesrt View Post
This is so awesome man! Love that your keeping in the family too! Are you just using the body/interior of the Willys and dimply dropping it on the Jeeps chassis/powertrain? I saw you scrapped the entire Jeep, just curious of exactly what piece would be used? Also wondering what kind of budget you have if yo dont mind? I know this is a longgg and complex project, just wondering how much outside stuff you are going to need to get? I cant even imagine trying to run all the Jeeps electrical crap and then hiding it nicely? And then mounting everything, this is going to be one serious build!
Must use the Willys chassis as the Grand doesn't have one. The only other things that will be kept from the Willys is the outside panels. From the Grand I will be using everything from the drivetrain from floor down, including the actual floor and firewall, plus suspension mounts and suspension etc. Inside seats, carpeting, instruments, console, wiring loom, pedals, steering column and wheel, central locking, electric windows, door locks, and lower dash etc.

As far budget, I don't have a set one but hoping the main expense in buying the Grand is the biggest part of it and why I will try and use everything from it. I intend to do the complete build including upholstery. Only the paint will be done by someone else as I am allergic to it and dont think I could paint to the standard I am after. Be silly to put so much effort into it only to have it spoiled by a cheap paint job.
__________________

My web site below:
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need!
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-20-2011, 11:33 AM
soontobesrt's Avatar
I drive a modern day Woody
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia,PA ----> Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 31
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 3246
soontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Must use the Willys chassis as the Grand doesn't have one. The only other things that will be kept from the Willys is the outside panels. From the Grand I will be using everything from the drivetrain from floor down, including the actual floor and firewall, plus suspension mounts and suspension etc. Inside seats, carpeting, instruments, console, wiring loom, pedals, steering column and wheel, central locking, electric windows, door locks, and lower dash etc.

As far budget, I don't have a set one but hoping the main expense in buying the Grand is the biggest part of it and why I will try and use everything from it. I intend to do the complete build including upholstery. Only the paint will be done by someone else as I am allergic to it and dont think I could paint to the standard I am after. Be silly to put so much effort into it only to have it spoiled by a cheap paint job.

Ahh ok, absolutely agree on the paint. Ive wanted to start painting seriously but without a nice booth and the proper knowledge and skill it just wont come out to the standard I or you or anyone would like. Its certainly an art form and takes some skill. That said, good to see you are planning on using everything from the Jeep. I dont know how else you could do it without ripping all your hair out!

Thinking size wise, are the Jeep/Willys comparable in wheelbase and width? Assuming so, so everything should fit ok. I mean, the Jeep stuff will just simply go back together as it came out I assume unless some stuff will be different distances? My guess is you're keeping it all relatively close so nothing will need to be extended/cut as far as harnesses and cables go?

But yeah this sounds promising, Im sure its going to turn out great! What are you looking at time wise? A few years on this build seems appropriate if your doing it by yourself, definitely a long process haha, kudos to you sir for doing it!
__________________

Mods: A Bunch



Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1658784
Gojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobesrt View Post
Ahh ok, absolutely agree on the paint. Ive wanted to start painting seriously but without a nice booth and the proper knowledge and skill it just wont come out to the standard I or you or anyone would like. Its certainly an art form and takes some skill. That said, good to see you are planning on using everything from the Jeep. I dont know how else you could do it without ripping all your hair out!

Thinking size wise, are the Jeep/Willys comparable in wheelbase and width? Assuming so, so everything should fit ok. I mean, the Jeep stuff will just simply go back together as it came out I assume unless some stuff will be different distances? My guess is you're keeping it all relatively close so nothing will need to be extended/cut as far as harnesses and cables go?

But yeah this sounds promising, Im sure its going to turn out great! What are you looking at time wise? A few years on this build seems appropriate if your doing it by yourself, definitely a long process haha, kudos to you sir for doing it!
Time wise I looking at no rush at all as want to saviour the build along the way. 5-10 years even. This is my retirement project to keep me out of mischief! Just starting it a bit early, that is all.
The wheelbase of the Willys is 8.5" longer so there will be some harness extending as well as driveshafts. Most of the wheel base is in the firewall forward and why I have to move the sub frame with the suspension/diff etc forward compared to the engine. Brake lines will work out pretty well as ABS pump to rear wheels will be close. Just have to extends the lines to the front wheels. Engine harness should be alright too as same distance from the firewall and even the Willys headlights and the harness that runs under the Grands radiator will be close to the same. Maybe just minor things like the ABS sensors to be extended.
Will run into problems like the TCU, and I think the parking sensor controller, that is under the rear seat which I wont have. Also the harness for the airbag system and rear doors etc will have to be removed. It wont be a plug and play build by a long shot.
Body width wise, the Willys is close the the same width across the rear guards but 7" narrower across the front ones. That is because the Willys runs a much narrower front track compared to the rear. 63.5 verses 57". This is why the whole body of the cab, hood and grille will be widened to match. The Willys cab gets wider towards the rear and will end up with more shoulder room than the Grand has.
Handling should also be better with lighter weight, around a 1000 lbs, overall and the engine sitting a further 6" back so will have better weight distribution. The whole engine will be almost sitting behind the front axle. Just thinking about moving it even further back so will be around 8" further back than the Grand. Got a lot to take into account as far as how the dash will sit inside compared to the door openings and distance from the windshield etc.
__________________

My web site below:
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need!
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
remmy's Avatar
Boopity boop sha boop!
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Posts: 455
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1904
remmy is on a distinguished road
Re: Grand Willys project

OMG! A motorcycle hit that thing at 100mph!? Did he live?
__________________
'05 HEMI WK
Custom Long Tube Headers
Airaid Shorty Intake
Custom Exhaust
Dyno Tuned on mi-grade pump gas:
Baseline: 241whp
Final: 271whp

My Audio Build
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1658784
Gojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

Was in a coma for a couple of months but did live as far as I know.
__________________

My web site below:
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need!
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
soontobesrt's Avatar
I drive a modern day Woody
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia,PA ----> Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 31
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 3246
soontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Time wise I looking at no rush at all as want to saviour the build along the way. 5-10 years even. This is my retirement project to keep me out of mischief! Just starting it a bit early, that is all.
The wheelbase of the Willys is 8.5" longer so there will be some harness extending as well as driveshafts. Most of the wheel base is in the firewall forward and why I have to move the sub frame with the suspension/diff etc forward compared to the engine. Brake lines will work out pretty well as ABS pump to rear wheels will be close. Just have to extends the lines to the front wheels. Engine harness should be alright too as same distance from the firewall and even the Willys headlights and the harness that runs under the Grands radiator will be close to the same. Maybe just minor things like the ABS sensors to be extended.
Will run into problems like the TCU, and I think the parking sensor controller, that is under the rear seat which I wont have. Also the harness for the airbag system and rear doors etc will have to be removed. It wont be a plug and play build by a long shot.
Body width wise, the Willys is close the the same width across the rear guards but 7" narrower across the front ones. That is because the Willys runs a much narrower front track compared to the rear. 63.5 verses 57". This is why the whole body of the cab, hood and grille will be widened to match. The Willys cab gets wider towards the rear and will end up with more shoulder room than the Grand has.
Handling should also be better with lighter weight, around a 1000 lbs, overall and the engine sitting a further 6" back so will have better weight distribution. The whole engine will be almost sitting behind the front axle. Just thinking about moving it even further back so will be around 8" further back than the Grand. Got a lot to take into account as far as how the dash will sit inside compared to the door openings and distance from the windshield etc.
Ahh ok, I see. Very nice plan, seems you know exactly where you need to go and how to get there! Obviously speed bumps will incur, thats have the fun though lol. And the fact that you can use it as a retirement project is nice too so no rushing or stressing too much Id say. Wake up, eat go out work when you want, take a break, call it quits whenever, very nice not having deadlines on car builds haha! And as far as the airbag system goes, are you ditching it all together? Any reasons why that will not work here, size limited? And the TCM is probably gonna be a fun little animal to tackle. Will you be using a local dealer for programming needs assuming this will probably need to be plugged in once before shes up and running, what would be really awesome was if you could get on of these somehow haha:

http://www.autokeys.cn/sdp/683335/4/...2/5972567.html


Anyway, the shedded weight and engine moving back 8" would certainly make this thing ride/handle very nicely. I can tell you the factory Jeeps even sitting higher and heavier handle very well when dropped only 3-4" even without changing weight, so I imagine this thing will be no slouch! Plus add that Hemi, this may be the fastest and most agile Willys to date!

Have you already thought about how you are going to mount the front/rear suspension on the frame? Guessing some custom fab work will be in order here Thats probably going to be some of the most fun as you can make your won custom setup and control some of the ride factors there. As always cant wait to see the progress, hurry this thing up though, I cant wait 5-10 years so you'll have to expedite the process for the benefit of the subscribers here lol j/k of course - cheers
__________________

Mods: A Bunch



Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM
08Hemi's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2008 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 4,292
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 330266
08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute08Hemi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

glad you kept this thread alive...I am loving it!!! Great job man...soo friggin' COOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1658784
Gojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond reputeGojeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Willys project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Hemi View Post
glad you kept this thread alive...I am loving it!!! Great job man...soo friggin' COOL
Thanks mate for the comment.
__________________

__________________

My web site below:
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Project: Sir Sam Grand Cherokee - WJ 66 06-30-2011 08:15 PM
Next project!!! Black Ops Auto Works Interior/Exterior Visual 57 03-22-2010 10:57 PM
1965 Willys CJ-5A Joe in PA Wrangler-JK 9 01-05-2010 04:08 PM
my new project jeeppro Other Rides 7 11-25-2009 04:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community