Just making up the outer support for the rear shock absorbers. This gives them what is called double shear support as supported on both sides. The folds were done at a 8* angle so I would end up with a 8* slope to match that of the threaded boss that has already been welded into the frame.
Here you can see the result. The face that the bolt goes through is at 8*. This is to match what was on the Grand Cherokee as the lower shock mounts on the axle are wider than on the chassis. I also added an extra 16* in the legs. The top would have tilted downwards 8* other wise and I added another 8* so it actually tilted upwards for a better look.
The folds were simply hammered over in a 6" offset bench vise so I would get a softer fold. I clamped the centre section for both folds as wanted that to remain as flat as possible.
I added holes in the support top plate as well as the legs to take the heaviness out of the bracket.
All welded up. Was going to grind and sand them smooth, but thinking I might just leave it as is?
This how it will sit on the frame rail with the shock angle 8* outwards. Also will be angled similar to this to reach the axle which will be centred forward of the mount.
The bolt was only done up finger tight and had a piece of card placed in-between to allow for paint thickness.
As nothing will be welded directly on the other side of the mount, it would cause bending as the weld starts to cool. So I used half of the old bumper that was on the Willys and some 1/4" flat centred over the mount and clamped it down.
The pressure applied is in the reverse direction to which the welding will try to pull it. The weld will try to pull downwards and the clamps, with the flat underneath, is trying to bend it upwards.
The tricked worked quite well with one side remaining perfectly straight and the other just moving a fraction, which I pressed out straight.