Been busy working on the house, garden and the Cherokee lately but have managed to still get a bit done here and there when I could. Also have stripped all the paint from the lower half of the cab and dipped it in the citric acid to remove the rust. Didn't think it was worth boring people with showing that as have already shown the process.
I placed the part of the CJ2a tailgate under the hole cut away from the old vent and marked where to cut. The WILLYS name was centred exactly over were the old vent was and then tacked it into place. Was about to fully mig weld it in but decided against it due to cracking problems when you hammer the weld to get rid of any distortion. So going to buy a AC/DC tig welder and learn how to use one. Always wanted to learn so this is a good time to do so. Been watching plenty of videos on it and reading on forums so wish me luck.
This is where the panel will sit. I left the reduced height at the top of the raised part that the stamped Willys is on as it looks more factory blending into the cowl as is rises.
This also gives you an idea of how I plan to join the old cowl to the new firewall. The old part of the Willys firewall will be replaced with a single piece that will take in the whole width of the firewall and the three parts of the cowl. It will also have a bottom flange turned up so it can be plug welded along the existing seam there. Will most likely make a hammer form as both top and bottom flanges are curved.
Spent a bit of time smoothing out that dent further that I had worked on earlier. Used a file to highlight the highs and lows and then worked it with the slapping file and shrink disc.
Just about got it now.
Got this rotted out corner to repair. I have melted out the factory lead to see just how much needs to be done.
Can see the door sill has a hole right through it as well as poor alignment of the joint too.
Traced the end of the sill to get a profile so I can make a patch panel for it.
It is important when laying out a lot of folds like this that the thickness of the metal is deducted for each fold. This is 1.2 mm sheet and if I did not take the thickness into account, I would be out 7.2 mm by the end.
The sill is not flat between the folds so it is easier to get the profile in before folding. As I don't have an english wheel, I just used a convex slapper/flipper on the beater bag to get the shape.