Got inspired by the latest update. Feel more confident that this thing can actually come together!
Before joining the panel sections together I spent some time filing the joints until there were no gaps as much as possible. This allows much better and easier fusion welding. I used a faced piece of angle iron from my folder clamped to the bench to check the edge for straightness, as well as keeping it perfectly square.
Decided to give the thinner 0.9mm/20Ga panels of the rear wall a try next. Swapped the lanthanated tungsten over to a 1mm/0.040. Find it easier to weld the thinner panels with this size as it is close to the panel thickness.
Just did fusion welding again but found it gave a better result than with the thicker metal. Only a few spots that needed a bit of filler rod added. Planished the weld and HAZ area only to get it nice and flat again. It is so much softer than mig welds that I had to use a shrinking disc in a few places as went too far!
Came across a problem on both sides that the 58 ends were not as deeply pressed as the original 48 centre part of the wall. So what I did was tack together the wider raised sections first perfectly flush and then stretched down the narrow sections to fit.
Came up really well and all lined up too.
Started welding up the other end to the centre part of the wall.
Was tacked flat but the heat shrinkage pulled it down. Also showing what the backside of the weld looks like as welded it from the other side.
Planishing the weld area only brought it back flat.
The ribs were a lot shallower on the newer 58 ends compared to the 48 as well. Used a dolly with a similar shape to them to stretch them to the same size.
I placed a beater bag underneath and then hammered down on the dolly with a soft faced hammer. Some was done with the dolly underneath and using a small squared faced hammer from the top.
So the first big section of 48 and 58 panels are together.
Trial fitted quite well to the donor floor as well.