Not sure if you guys want to see the non exciting fiddly bits that can be quite time consuming nonetheless?
In the foreground is the outside part of the cowl. The centre part of the cowl does not blend in with it. Partly due to the fitting of the tailgate piece in the middle of the cowl section after removing the centre vent, but also due to the fact the cowl changes width and curvature over its length. Don't forget that the centre part is 8" longer than what was in there before.
Using the wheeling machine and flipper over a beater bag, got it to better match each other.
One problem that did occur though is that it ended up with a bad twist in the panel and it sunk from being over stretched. I think this was due to the change in thickness of the metal from the thinner cowl into the thicker tailgate piece. I tried stretching the top edge and shrinking the low spot, even cutting and relieving the tension from the very tight oil canning it had, but lack of experience stopped me from raising it.
Could have just filled it with plastic filler, but decided just to cut it right off and start again.
Cut a section off the old 48 cowl from further along to replace the piece. It had too much curve but was able to flatten that out to match. Also had to shape it again to fit the end piece of the outer cowl again, but came up much better this time as didn't have the change in material thickness in the middle of it.
This is the other side showing the same problem with the dip I had. Should curve upwards about the same as it is dipping downwards. Needs about the same arc as the rib in the foreground. If I lent on it with all my weight, it would pop up the right way, but as soon as the pressure was released, straight back down again. Excess material was trapped.
So cut this side off too and replaced it with another section of cowl. Can see now it curves in the right direction.
The top edge was not matching up to the bottom of the windscreen opening. The low section in the middle needs to come up and forward to match with that. Part of this is due to the 2" section that I have cut out below the windscreen.
Just used a bossing mallet and the rounded flipper over a beater bag to bring it forward. I did not want to change the angle in the windscreen piece as it must stay the same to match the upper roof section so the glass is sitting flat.
Something else I did was lower the Willys pressing more and allow the material to curve around it while keeping the pressing flat. Sits now at the same height as the rib in front and it also released the twist the panel had at the same time.